wiring harness cable and connectors

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
daryl

Re: wiring harness cable and connectors

Post by daryl »

I've had good luck sourcing obscure vehicle connectors from https://www.automotiveconnectors.com/

Sometimes it takes a bit of research to identify the manufacturer / range of connector that's used, but once you've done that it's easy.

My only other advice would be to make sure you have the right crimping tool for the pins used, it makes the job so much easier and increases the likelyhood of a good, lasting, connection significantly.

For what you've descirbed i'd still be tempted to buy the new loom and extend the plugs you need with wire from the original loom (to keep the colour codes/sizes correct)
WesleyDRZ400

Post by WesleyDRZ400 »

PHILinFRANCE wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:48 am Hi Wesley, long time no see , what you planning for the 640

Well thought as I have most of the parts would basically make it the same as this but have tanks both side, the rally 30L main tank and fairing
20080618640011.jpg
20080618640011.jpg (95.77 KiB) Viewed 1997 times

Hence wire harness extension due to relocations of electric items and been fault finding as this is based on a 1997 model, engine was fully rebuilt less than 100 miles ago with uprated parts.

Yellow wire in photos is the kickstand wire I found that has been bypassed however I have the neutral wire fault as it flickers then I fiddle with gear selector in neutral, N light flickers and only starts when I wiggle gear selector with light flashing.

Will look to bypass it also...……….any info on this?
WesleyDRZ400

Post by WesleyDRZ400 »

Snaf MKII wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:55 am I've built a few motorsport and machinery looms over the years and one for a Beta 350RR
0.25 would do for most of the loom but you need to work out what load everything is taking. For instance the the headlight would be about 7amps and would need 0.5 but each indicator would be 1.3amps and only need 0.2. Obviously starter, charging and ignition would need a much heavier gauge.
I'd pin the loom out on a large board and measure each each wire gauge as I stripped it down and replace like for like. Don't be tempted to use a heavier gauge than required or you'll get in to routing problems when you put it on the bike.

What model 640 is it, wiring looms are not that expensive from KTM if they are still available.
Shall I just go 3mm for the extension wires with suitable connectors to be safe?
WesleyDRZ400

Post by WesleyDRZ400 »

Hugh wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:24 am Greetings,

Totally agree with Snaf MkII but may I just add a reminder that you label each wire before you disconnect it. Additionally take a photo on your phone of the connectors and the route of the cables. I tended to be generous with the length of each cable length just incase I needed to modify a connector or such.

TTFN

Hugh.
I brought another 620 adv bike the same very cheap at bargain price I use for reference :roll:

Great for checking where bits go iv took off and also fault finding as I just swap electrical item out and refit to see if it was a problem
Snaf MKII

Post by Snaf MKII »

WesleyDRZ400 wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 11:07 am
Snaf MKII wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:55 am I've built a few motorsport and machinery looms over the years and one for a Beta 350RR
0.25 would do for most of the loom but you need to work out what load everything is taking. For instance the the headlight would be about 7amps and would need 0.5 but each indicator would be 1.3amps and only need 0.2. Obviously starter, charging and ignition would need a much heavier gauge.
I'd pin the loom out on a large board and measure each each wire gauge as I stripped it down and replace like for like. Don't be tempted to use a heavier gauge than required or you'll get in to routing problems when you put it on the bike.

What model 640 is it, wiring looms are not that expensive from KTM if they are still available.
Shall I just go 3mm for the extension wires with suitable connectors to be safe?
As long as it's not smaller or has less strands than what you're extending that will be fine, on the 640 I'd pay particular attention to the charging and starting wiring as I've found it a bit marginal in reliability terms on the 640 we had. You can always go bigger with cabling as long as there's room and you don't mind the extra weight.
I'm liking your project pictures, take lots of pics and post up a new thread.
WesleyDRZ400

Post by WesleyDRZ400 »

Snaf MKII wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 8:21 am
WesleyDRZ400 wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 11:07 am

As long as it's not smaller or has less strands than what you're extending that will be fine, on the 640 I'd pay particular attention to the charging and starting wiring as I've found it a bit marginal in reliability terms on the 640 we had. You can always go bigger with cabling as long as there's room and you don't mind the extra weight.
I'm liking your project pictures, take lots of pics and post up a new thread.
Yes I noticed the starting wire looked marginal also,
Weight wise I would guess this subframe is around 20% heavy so going a mm or two is small fry now I guess. I added gussets to the frame and angle bars to reinforce ect ect as saw post on adv rider about cracked standard subframes.

Once all welds cleaned up with the sand disc and subframe coated will look OK.

I have loads of parts I collected over the last 3 years so will probably start a build thread as advice from you guys here is great.

However I'm limited to time in garage
so might be a slow build tread 😏😂

Return to “TECHNICAL”