Something that I think we already know

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
dazcoates

Re: Something that I think we already know

Post by dazcoates »

Still using mine at work .
Dark Knight

Post by Dark Knight »

The next "How To" in the series.
Attachments
HowToUseDies.pdf
(1.11 MiB) Downloaded 78 times
vRSG60

Post by vRSG60 »

Mine had a date on it 1974.
I bought it in 1976 when I started work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Out On The Floor - Keep The Faith
Elmer J Fudd

Post by Elmer J Fudd »

There are various websites which have classic bike manuals / diagrams etc. free to download.

I don't have a classic bike, but I've downloaded pretty much every one I have come across and some probably several times.

I do intend on getting a 1950's / 60's British bike at some point, but too many other things to do first.......
Dark Knight

Post by Dark Knight »

I used to ride british bikes in the 1960's, started with a Triumph Tiger Cub and ended up with a AJS 659 twin, a 31CSR which was faster than my mates Triumph Tiger 110.
We seemed to have to do some work on the bikes every weekend, however, being young we used to race about the place (no speed limits otside town).
Had to strip down the engine in the Tiger Cub twice to replace broken crank pins, probably due to the ignition being over advanced.
I also had to strip down the engine in the AJS twice due to big end failure, I later discovered why later when driving my Mini Cooper, it had an oil pressure gauge, the oil pressure dropped when the engine got hot and we were often riding at 100 MPH, chasing guys in their Triumph Spitfires who always seemed to have a blonde in the car with them.
One last thing on those bikes, if you were doing 100 MPH and had to brake, the brakes faded out at about 50 MPH, so you could not stop and had to swerve.
I hope that I have not put you off old bikes.
Hugh

Post by Hugh »

Greetings,

"One last thing on those bikes, if you were doing 100 MPH and had to brake, the brakes faded out at about 50 MPH, so you could not stop and had to swerve."

That's why the council had big privet hedges :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

TTFN

Hugh.
Elmer J Fudd

Post by Elmer J Fudd »

Dark Knight wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 3:45 pm I used to ride british bikes in the 1960's, started with a Triumph Tiger Cub and ended up with a AJS 659 twin, a 31CSR which was faster than my mates Triumph Tiger 110.
We seemed to have to do some work on the bikes every weekend, however, being young we used to race about the place (no speed limits otside town).
Had to strip down the engine in the Tiger Cub twice to replace broken crank pins, probably due to the ignition being over advanced.
I also had to strip down the engine in the AJS twice due to big end failure, I later discovered why later when driving my Mini Cooper, it had an oil pressure gauge, the oil pressure dropped when the engine got hot and we were often riding at 100 MPH, chasing guys in their Triumph Spitfires who always seemed to have a blonde in the car with them.
One last thing on those bikes, if you were doing 100 MPH and had to brake, the brakes faded out at about 50 MPH, so you could not stop and had to swerve.
I hope that I have not put you off old bikes.
Ha, Ha, no, the reasons not to get one are the reasons I want to get one (or maybe two), lots of tinkering and head scratching, could be fun.

I just don't have the time at the moment, too many other things I still do....riding and touring on bikes, clay shooting, fly fishing, archery, snooker, etc. but I am planning a simpler life in the future, at which point I will dabble......

I had a mini Mayfair automatic with drum brakes, which were great when adjusted (at least every week), but non-existent if left. Several times I nearly subscribed to a religion....

Return to “TECHNICAL”