Something that I think we already know

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
DavidS

Re: Something that I think we already know

Post by DavidS »

I was brought up to do diy but mostly woodworking and that is still part of my retired life. God knows I’ve done enough the last few weeks. I just can’t cope with bricklaying, plastering or digging holes.
My grandad had an allotment and a large part of the weekend was spent there so veg and general gardening are high on my day to day list, as on my wife’s as well.
I can rebuild the top end on an engine but don’t have the knowledge or nerve to go into the crankcase of gearbox. Chassis stuff is ok unless it needs engineering as I don’t have great knowledge or any tools.

My working life was as a one man band architectural technologist (one below an architect but with a technical bias). During the last few years I inherited loads of jobs that had been designed by young architects but they couldn’t do the Building Regs. Most of them needed substantial redesigns as they were just pretty CAD drawings. Even my initial designs were based on 1:50 layouts so I could actually make it work from day one. Glad I’m out of it now....retired three years at the end of June :D
2023 Husqvarna Norden 901
2014 KTM 690 ENDURO R
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

My (now ex) stepson qualified as an architectural technician. The job was basically checking the works of architects to ensure

1) What they had designed could physically be built

2) That it wouldn't fall down

3) That it met building regs.

Ironically, it paid less than being an architect, but entailed putting right all the things that architects got wrong. I don't think he pursued it as a career.
92kk k100lt 193214

Post by 92kk k100lt 193214 »

I am a quantity surveyor.....so we end up sorting out the financial fall out when it goes wrong. Got no time off during the lock down as I moved my office home at end of 2012. I put petrol in a bike once....got another one stuck in lock down in Spain....but my garden looks good. Should have been taking ferry to France last Saturday for 3 weeks....

I enjoyed the time and could not retire, I love the work I do and it keeps the mind very very sharp. Modern technology means my office is a laptop on wifi any place I like.
1992 K100LT June 2010 110,000 miles
1984 K100RT July 2013 36,000 miles, 90,000
1983 K100RS Nov 2018 29,000 miles, 58,600 miles
1996 K1100LT Oct 2020 37,990 miles, 48,990 miles
1984 K100 Sprint March 2023 58,000 miles, 62,000 miles
DavidS

Post by DavidS »

While I was working I loved the job. Max 3 or 4 houses but mostly one offs, extensions, nursing homes in the 90’s, shops for a 50 plot retailer for about 30 years.
The last two or three years just depressed me despite having the wealthiest clients I ever had (they give great recommendations) because the planning and building regs element just got more and more demoralising. It just became a battle against ‘the system’.
2023 Husqvarna Norden 901
2014 KTM 690 ENDURO R
Dark Knight

Post by Dark Knight »

Something else along the same lines, drills and how to use them.
Attachments
DrillsHowToUseThem.pdf
(1.07 MiB) Downloaded 121 times
Dark Knight

Post by Dark Knight »

Something else along the same lines, drills and how to use them.
Attachments
DrillsHowToUseThem.pdf
(341.12 KiB) Downloaded 117 times
Asgard

Post by Asgard »

Reminds me of a question that caught all of us out in aero-eng...........how many cutting edges does a twist drill have? (no googling) :D
Its a trick............get an Axe
Hugh

Post by Hugh »

Greetings,

If it is a drill that I have tried to sharpen it will be at least two because I have never been able to do the job without a guide (even then it will not be right).

If it is a new drill bit or one that has been correctly sharpened then it will be one if I have correctly recalled my instructor at St Athan. I don't do circular holes, only cam shaped ones :roll:

I am absolutely c**p at fine detail work, so if it can't be fixed with a big hammer then it is either electrical or scrap :lol:

TTFN

Hugh.
Snaf MKII

Post by Snaf MKII »

Asgard wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:37 pm Reminds me of a question that caught all of us out in aero-eng...........how many cutting edges does a twist drill have? (no googling) :D
It's either
None
Two
Three
Four
Five

Depending on different manufacturers/organisations definitions. Learnt that at secondary school from a teacher that would smack you with a bit of 4x2 if you got it wrong, obviously you could never get it right :-) Taught me lot that teacher.
Asgard

Post by Asgard »

Yep Hugh, It's One........... :lol: (
...look very closely at the tip

Snaf, interested in the wide range you give, are you thinking of reamers and mills?
The One with no cutting edge is even more interesting...tell me more

Hugh, when were you at St Athan? I spent some time at the historic aircraft hanger in the 80's, ended up painting the Me410 and various other jobs/
Last edited by Asgard on Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Its a trick............get an Axe

Return to “TECHNICAL”