DCT Africa Twin 1000

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
catcitrus

Re: DCT Africa Twin 1000

Post by catcitrus »

The thing about DCTs, and automatics, is that it takes away the stupid human element that destroys clutches and gearboxes--so they last! I have a couple of trail bikes and a Transalp (proper 600), and recently I picked up another CB500--1998--400 quid as a non runner (carbs)--anyway now sorted and farkled a bit. My point is that it has a lovely gearbox and clutch--upward changes are clutchless--and thats not usual for me as I'm in my 70s and used to old Brit bikes. Its low, handles really well, and has a power band kicking in above 7k and will move on to three figures pretty easily. I really don't want anything much bigger as you can't use it anyway. The transalp is more comfortable for real distance but of the same year --1998-and so smooth and relaxed. We seem to have been sucked in to bigger is better when its really not--just look at the general size and weight of bikes from the 70s etc and look at them now.
garyboy

Re: DCT Africa Twin 1000

Post by garyboy »

I somehow, despite the lockdown, found myself outside thunderroad motorcycles. No idea how I got there, but, in what must have been a daze, rattled the closed door to the showrooms. To my surprise, 2 guys came to the front and I was allowed in .. very good of them .. seeing as I did not look very rich.

The one guy was the sales manager and soon had me sat down working out prices, I had told him I fancied an AT dct, as I liked a few bikes my mates had, and because I could not think if any other excuse-bike to look around.

He offered me £2,000 off my 2016 nc750 .. cheeky c***, and was looking for £11,000+ for the ex demo, leaving me expected to pay £200 per month for [the rest of my life] ?? …… ha ha .. as if !!!!

I told him I could only afford half of that amount per month, and before he could chuck me out, I asked to see the bike/s in question.

I was really disappointed with the AT .. it looked cheap gaudy shite , and way too tall for my little hairy legs., so I continued walking. His eagle salesman's caught my admiration of some honda. It turned out to be a VFR800 .. but it looked MASSIVE ..

`These bikes look huge`, I said, aloud, to him .. `or have I shrunk?`
He smiled wryly, and led me to the exit, saying `yes, you DO look lacking in the leg dept` ….. c***.

Return to “TECHNICAL”