DCT Africa Twin 1000

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
The dogs

DCT Africa Twin 1000

Post by The dogs »

Anybody have any trouble with DCT on their bikes as looking at one due to left hand arthritis flaring up which is becoming more frequent and bloody painful. Spotted one with 36k on the clock at a dealership and wondered about the early bikes. Need I worry. To be honest it’s not the only one as also looking at the NC750X DCT which may be a better option as not so daunting height wise. Any thoughts and opinions would be noted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by The dogs on Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Steve T

Re: DCT Africa Twin 1000

Post by Steve T »

Sorry, but no experience of the CRF1000 wot-so-ever, but have had a shot of a NC750 auto. A riding pal has done tens of thousands of miles on his and it's never let him down or given him any problems.

If it was me, knowing that arthritis doesn't go away or fully get better, I'd be plugging for the lighter machine.

Just my tuppence worth.

Steve T

8-)
ZEN DOG

He knows not where he's going, for the ocean will decide
It's not the destination . . . . . . . it's the glory of the ride
Helicoptermanr22

Post by Helicoptermanr22 »

As above, ive had the 750 and its fab and feels much lighter than the AT
Ron3005

Post by Ron3005 »

I've got the African twin sport dct it would be perfect for you if you have problems with your left hand I've not had or anybody I know had any problems with the system
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

I was told by a honda mechanic that the honda dct is `a very reliable unit`

I got the nc750Sdct .. naked and an inch lower than the X, but no fairing protection.
I sometimes get vibration in the left hand, but then the vibration disappears?
DCT is very reliable, but of course its honda, low revs, and protected by the auto system so that there is no stress on the coggy moving bits, no high revs, no mis clutching... as it has a management system that wont allow any abuse or bad gear changes or even stalling.

Ive heard the 1000 dct is good off road, but it depends what you mean by off road? .. AT would be too tall and heavy for me, but I am a medium size young lad :lol:

ps.. the clutch is actually TWO clutches, so you cant fuck up the changes, or grind the gears, as the next gear engages while you are still thinking about changing to it.

pps.. it can be predictably boring.
EWR

Post by EWR »

The dogs wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:33 pm Anybody have any trouble with DCT on their bikes as looking at one due to left hand arthritis flaring up which is becoming more frequent and bloody painful. Spotted one with 36k on the clock at a dealership and wondered about the early bikes. Need I worry. To be honest it’s not the only one as also looking at the NC750X DCT which may be a better option as not so daunting height wise. Any thoughts and opinions would be noted.

I've owned both the 2017 AT DCT and 2017 NC750X DCT: I never clicked with the AT which was traded in for the NC (and a Beta for green laning).

The AT in 'D' mode was very smooth and seamless but dulled the bike's performance somewhat (though still easy to wind up), while I found 'S' mode (regardless of the setting) unusable: I couldn't understand how it ever made production.

I found the switchgear was unresponsive or erratic on occasion too, and the gearbox had a mind of its own on occasion which could be little unsettling, especially on damp roads.

The NC is much less powerful, but its just seems to suit the engine better - in contrast to the AT, it behaves predictably and impeccably and I just leave it in D and bumble along.

I find NC a more manageable and practical equivalent to the AT...great build quality, some really nice touches, far lower running costs and it feels much nicer on the road - similar to my original XRV 750 actually.

Not everyone's idea of a great bike but a bit of a Swiss Army knife bike: very handy to have...
scotsy

Post by scotsy »

I have had DCT bikes since 2012. Its brilliant :lol:

D mode is dull and boring but makes it economical.

M = change with the lhs triggers but if you chug it will take over and downshift at low revs

I've had 2 x DCT crosstourers then a manual AT and now back on DCT AT

I am older and weaker nowadays so have stopped off roading on it, the sad fact is i cannot lift it up by myself anymore.
In fact i've also just sold my CRF250X as well so have no plans for anything seriously challenging.

The DCT is great in most situations since its introduction on the VFR1200f around 2010 but like everything there are certain situations when you just wish you could slip (feather) the clutch yourself.

I went DCT because of knackered left hand knuckles from old rugby injuries that i never got fixed at the time (taped them together to carry on playing)

The auto blip when slowing down is addictive and just like an automatic car if you throttle is sharply it drops a couple of gears and flies!!!

I have probably done 75000 DCT miles and never had ANY issues with the system or clutch packs but it adds around 10kg to the bikes already weighty size. My problems are being shorter and weaker these days so the weight and my incompetance results in topple overs when in tricky spots
The dogs

Post by The dogs »

Since my initial look at a DCT for reasons previously stated, it’s been deduced that as I’ve ridden bikes for such a long time, it may be Arti but as the flare ups are so infrequent it wasn’t worth worrying about for the moment. So I’ve decided not to go down the DCT route at the mo. However, I did by a bike of 500cc with a nice clutch lever action with a slip assist clutch and a lovely snicky gearbox which has allowed me to carry out clutchless changes with ease. Would you believe it’s a Benelli TRK 502. Much underatted motorcycle primarily because of where it’s built imo.

Helicoptermanr22

Post by Helicoptermanr22 »

What have the chinese done for us!? Apart from the obvious.
Salty porky balls / egg flied lice and trumpchies, not forgetting the Benelli.
The dogs

Post by The dogs »

Don't forget that they are invariably the money and the manufacturing behind a bike which is still Italian by name. Incidentally, another Chinese brand cfmoto is currently using Austrian designers from KTM for their latest incarnation, the 650MT. Triumph are moving their production to China, BMWs 310 is build in India and the engine from BMWs 850GS is Chinese built too. The money behind KTM in now from India also. Looking under the sat of my Benelli I noticed Bosch electronics but where is it made, quite clearly stamped as made in China.

Return to “TECHNICAL”