computers and bike trip planning imbalance.

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
bikenav

Re: computers and bike trip planning imbalance.

Post by bikenav »

Many people are suggesting I change to another navigation system other than Garmin ie for me this system is both on the bike following a pre prepared track(more usual) or route or just winging it off the map information on the screen of the GPS unit, that unit will almost certainly have a choice of 2 different maps for no cost in data or time downloading en route , also I have a very large database of individual trails, trail based routes, campsites, accomodation, main dealers, tracklogs, good roads other personal interest POI's etc all stored on basecamp with all that info I can pretty quickly knock up a bespoke trail or road spin to a large part of Western Europe. I have not ridden with anyone to see any alternatives in action, so I am interested how the non Garmin users manage all the above, if you have a suggestion I would love to see a screenshot or something as an example. To the old school paper map users I love maps myself and have used them extensively in rally cars as a navigator/co-driver and also riding bikes UK Euro Africa US before I owned a GPS so I am confident in their use and miss them a bit too, but the reality is the electronic map wins hands down overall on a detailed bike spin, I offered a challenge in an earlier post in this thread to a paper map man but its not been taken up . It may surprise many I am a very big GPS user but very rarely am I following a turn by turn algorithm created route. Most must be using something so what is it?
Chasbmw

Post by Chasbmw »

My favourite roads and places are my head and I navigate on a day by day basis.....

Using co pilot or Maps ME ( better off road) I decide my start and ending points, then drop waypoints so that the GPS takes me the route I want to go.

No downloading is involved, all2GB of the Western Europe maps are stored in my phone so no data costs.

Simple easy and apart from a phone holder and power supply, no extra costs.

I went back to Garmin about 3 years ago and gave up in a couple of months. Basecamp was seriously clunky and the idea of devising a route on a computer the downloading it onto an (expensive device with a crappy screen) seems to be really old fashioned in an age when a phone has a 128GB memory, fast GPSand a really fast processor.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Slowboy

Post by Slowboy »

I quite like my Garmin (390), and of course I already have it, it's ruggedised to cope with the vibration of sitting on a bike for day after day, even in the pouring rain and I find it easy to use.
Then I also have maps, because they are easily portable, don't run out of power, and allow me to see at a glance the wider route options along the rough track (see what I did there😉) of my travels.
Never got to grips with Basecamp, but never felt I've missed out because of that either.
Some times I just switch up the Compass screen on the Garmin and head "over there". That can make for a voyage of discovery, rather than a rigidly defined plan. Much more fun.
Small bike traveller

CRF250 Rally
C90
C125 Super Cub
bikenav

Post by bikenav »

I think I understand the value of using a phone as a GPS already have one, faster,possibly,bigger better screen more fringe features with data etc, people seem to be managing what I would see the problems of weather,charging, gloves etc. For me as a solo trailrider I prefer my phone kept safe as possible in my pocket yes I know I could use a second. As I have tried to ask I am pretty happy with the Garmin Montana/Zumo as the GPS seems to do what I require and yes I am used to it and unenthusiastic to change , its the other half of the management I am curious about for those that have a poor memory(myself) or travel more widely perhaps. Yes the local stuff I have in my head, but what if you take your GS12 down a trail somewhere out of your local patch and end up at a pinch point or whatever and dont want to make the same mistake again or do a cracker down in Aragon and want to do it again in 2 years time, that cracking wildcamp spot on the cliffs or riverbank how do you keep that data recorded .Do the phone apps do that well?
    PS my original problem in the OP OSM map downloading was/is something to do with the unzipping and the installing wizard had to do some kind of "manual" unzip then install something like that anyway still not completely sure got what I wanted done anyway.

Return to “TECHNICAL”