Cruise control on a bike - what are our thoughts?

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
Chris S

Cruise control on a bike - what are our thoughts?

Post by Chris S »

Cruise control - is it another electronic gizmo I scoff at despite never having tried it (on a bike)?
Or something that - liked heated grips – once tried I'd wish I'd got years ago (were it available)?

I read somewhere recently someone said it was handy to set and forget on a 50mph motorway restriction (for example) when there is no other traffic to keep up with.
A mate also pointed to some (imo) crappy looking throttle clamps on ebay from only a fiver.
You could probably MYO with a jubilee clip and a pencil.
I've used those throttle palm rests on bikes with heavy throttles - XCo I think it was. Quite good.
Another thought was cameras (being RH buttons) would be easier to use on the move, but tbh a hand on the throttle/brake feels safer.
HedgeHopper

Re: Cruise control on a bike - what are our thoughts?

Post by HedgeHopper »

They might have a place on a Gold wing transiting Highway 66 at fall asleep mph, but in the UK or most of Europe in the rain and tightly surrounded by morons in safety cages?....nah
Robzulu80

Post by Robzulu80 »

Absolutely love it on mine, if it’s a option I shall have it on every bike from now on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
byewayrider

Post by byewayrider »

Lethal, once saw a gifl on a bmw gs riding one handed hit a pothole and dump it :lol: ...but then again she should have had 2 hands on bars....in cars etc its fine on long europe roads or in speed camera uk motorways..
Solo ktm690 euro trail rider
OB1

Post by OB1 »

I had cruise control on my Triumph Tiger 800 XCx and I loved it!

Not just for cruising on the motorway, I found it very useful when pootling through town at 30 mph or, as you mention, Chris, through the endless roadworks that we have in the UK. It was very easy to click on and off as and when you needed it.

One time, whilst riding through Europe, I had to get to the ferry in Holland for an evening sailing after waking up in Poland that morning. Without the cruise control, there would have been no way that I could have maintained the speed needed! I was fried by the time I got there!
A • AND • B • CDN • CH • CN • CY • CYM • CZ • D • DK • E • EST • ET • F • FIN • GR • HK • HR • I • IL • IRL • L • LT • LV • M • N • N-IRL • NL • P • PL • Q • RSM • S • SCO • SCV • SLO • TR • USA • YU
justrtw.com
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

I had it on a second-had car once.

The only time it's useful is on motorways where there are average-speed cameras through roadworks etc. Set it to 50 mph and don't get 'sucked' into going faster by other traffic.

Frankly, the rest of the time the roads are too crowded fo it to be of any use, assuming you wish to 'make progress' through traffic.
Oop North John

Post by Oop North John »

Not had it on a bike, but as said in our camera infested island with some strange speed limits, it's helpful and means less staring at the speedo and more time to look outside. Like all tools it is useful as long as it's used appropriately.
RandG

Post by RandG »

I also scoffed at CC, right up until I had a bike with one, absolutely brilliant, however, now have a bike that doesn't have one, is it missed ?? Out of the 9000 miles I've done on my ATAS, I'd say I'd like to have had CC for about 30 miles of that 9000, so in summary, brilliant to have but once you get used to not having it on a bike again, it's not an issue.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Love it wouldn't buy another bike without it, well maybe an Enfield Interceptor!
30 limit set it at 30, 40 limit set it at 40, cruising speed 80 set it at 80.
Rubbish to say you can't use it on crowded roads, roll throttle forward off, touch brake off, touch clutch off, stop go traffic off, cruising at 30 keeping a safe distance leave it on.
I have a problem with my aged right wrist going numb after holding throttle open after a while and it really helps, and no it's not a wanking injury :lol:
Bart1

Post by Bart1 »

I think it is one of those features that once tried you never look back. Bought a bike earlier this year with it (a S10) and really really like it, cc was not on my wish list but it will be in future.
As said above, it is handy with average speed cameras and M/ways if not too busy, but it is also just great to use for even a short time just to give the right hand a rest.
The problem with throttle clamps/locks is they are not good on hills.

Return to “TECHNICAL”