Safety and learning to ride again...

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
Tramp

Safety and learning to ride again...

Post by Tramp »

Yup.. :roll: after 38 years of riding due to not riding everyday and a change from lite to heavy bike im in need of some training and guidance as i feel unsafe and not confident and dont want to end up another casualty this year :shock:..

My probs is slow speed maneuverability and failing to stop at junctions due to balance issues.. Slow down yes but had a few close calls recently....

My brain cant act fast enough... And im only 54 lol... Notice it too in hgv so seeing doc for check up...

A one to one on a slalom coarse would be great...

Strangley enough its when sitting down as standing when on trails its second nature..

Suggestions please...
SHarper

Re: Safety and learning to ride again...

Post by SHarper »

I’d suggest getting in touch with your local IAM group.
They’re not all ancient fuddy duddies (although some of them are). You’ll be able to go out on an assessment ride for nowt and the observer will point out your weaknesses and give you some pointers.
My local group meet on a Saturday morning at a retail park and they set out cones for slaloming etc. for anyone that wishes to partake.
Should you sign up, you will become an associate and be assigned an observer who will tutor you in the modern ways of the road, you can’t ride like its still the eighties.
zimtim

Post by zimtim »

Tramp wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 5:02 pm
My probs is slow speed maneuverability and failing to stop at junctions due to balance issues.. Slow down yes but had a few close calls recently....

My brain cant act fast enough... And im only 54 lol... Notice it too in hgv so seeing doc for check up...

Suggestions please...
First of inform your employer of the issues you are having. To cover their arses they may temporarily suspend you on medical grounds.
Just put yourself in the position of somebody reading a post on an open forum that they feel unsafe and failing to stop at junctions then they TBone your wife. With potential fatal consequences.
Have a look at motorcycle training on FB there are plenty there.
Friends did one at Weston last year. Said it was brill and really helpful.

Or book yourself into the Matchwood for an assessment
gbags

Post by gbags »

All good suggestions. I’d add chucking a couple coats on a carpark and doing figure of eights around them, both ways, slowly.
Also, is your seat too high? That means you’ll be on tiptoe, which won’t help.
Good luck.
Tonibe63

Post by Tonibe63 »

1) See the Doc
2) Get your eyes tested
3) Get some practice once one and two above are sorted.
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.
Tramp

Post by Tramp »

Right... Been to docs all okay but family history of dementia :o :roll:... So eye sight okay y too... Leaves the practise part...

Im going to contact hampshire bike safe run by the police as Herman seems a to recommend it...

We all change and id hate to be a oap who refuses to admit his errors...

As for employer thats me... No work no pay.
Tonibe63

Post by Tonibe63 »

We all make split second decisions every day whilst on the road but on a bike or in an hgv any wrong decision can have greater repercussions. There are lots of things that can affect judgement ie. eyesight, tiredness, headache etc etc.
I suffer with hayfever from early March when the tree pollen season starts. If I take Citrosene tablets they make me feel a bit tired and 'fuzzy' headed which makes my reactions a tiny fraction slower, similar to a head cold. Loritadene tablets don't give me these side effects so that's what I take. It could be something as simple as that.
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.
herman

Post by herman »

Tramp wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 7:13 pm Right... Been to docs all okay but family history of dementia :o :roll:... So eye sight okay y too... Leaves the practise part...

Im going to contact hampshire bike safe run by the police as Herman seems a to recommend it...

We all change and id hate to be a oap who refuses to admit his errors...

As for employer thats me... No work no pay.
Been doing ROSPA stuff locally mate. There is always a long waiting list on such courses but I know a good man from Andover that does it. I went through the same thought process as you a couple of years ago after a couple of events/errors on my side made me question how good I thought I was. I did advanced many years ago so decided to do it again and things/thinking has moved on loads so I have gained a lot. I dont agree with all they teach but you take what you can I guess and its the mindset which has changed the most for me. If you want to play in a car park give me a shout 8-)
The secret of a long life is knowing when its time to go.
soho

Post by soho »

Ten years ago I was 54 too Russ. :(
Ten years ago this very week I was taken out by a lorry and suffered huge injury’s (boring :roll: ) , you’ll remember me riding around on the outfit because of them. I’ve had little confidence or talent in my solo riding since and it really has been p*ssing me off for a long long time.

I know that not every one can do this but six months ago I bit the bullet and went back to my old job…..as a London courier. Best thing I could have done. I’ve gone from plodding around nervously on my Dommie, to mashing up 8 hr days on a big 1200 V Twin.

My answer to you Russ (if it’s of any help) is - The more you ride the sharper you become, coming up to 64 and loving’ it all again !
I’m not forced to work now but riding for cash is a bonus and it’s got me riding as well as I ever did which was my goal. :)

If you want to improve your riding ability - ride, ride and then some !!!!!! 8-)
Stewie

Post by Stewie »

Russ, get some one to one advanced training, lots of advanced trainers will tailor the training to the issues you mention and pick up other learnt bad habits, although Police safe, IAM and ROSPA are great organizations and maybe the way to go after you've ironed out the few imperfections in your riding style.
I would say though, whatever you do, don't just head off with some cones and ride around them on your own, otherwise you'll teach yourself to compensate and not cure, need a third party to watch and see what you can't.
Or film yourself doing it and post it on here... :shock: :o :lol:
Ride safe bud and keep it rubber side down 8-)

Return to “TECHNICAL”