BMW R1200GSA rear Brake disc overheating after pads replacement

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
Kazz

BMW R1200GSA rear Brake disc overheating after pads replacement

Post by Kazz »

My 2013 R1200 developed a leak from the seal on the differential hub. Oil leaked on the rear wheel and brake disc.I have no idea why the seal went, the bike was not used for 2 months, then went out for a 70 mile ride, left in the garage for 2 weeks. Went to go out on it and spotted the oil on the rear tyre.
The dealer replaced the seal and the bearing as its press fitted and removing can cause damage. Also replaced the rear brake pads as the old ones were soaked on oil. The dealer said that its not common.
The issue is that now even with a 2 mile ride with easy braking the rear brake disc is so hot that I cannot touch it. Is this normal after new brake pads. The brakes are not sticking in my opinion.
Praise without end for the go-ahead zeal of whoever it was invented the wheel;

But never a word for the poor soul's sake,that thought ahead and invented the brake.....
Joe Thumper

Re: BMW R1200GSA rear Brake disc overheating after pads replacement

Post by Joe Thumper »

Hi Kazz
Might be silly questions, but have you checked:
The brake pads are correctly seated, the caliper slides ok and disc is not warped?
I always use a bit of copper grease on the reassembly of a caliper.
I also think a common mistake some technicians make is they forget to open the reservoir when pushing the piston in, check the pressure is released in the system and the levels are correct. Hope this helps!
Mike54

Post by Mike54 »

the brakes are stuck on, could be too much fluid, could be seized pistons could be lots of reasons. if it came from the dealer like this ring them and tell the if you're not confident to sort yourself. and get them to pick up the bike if you do that, dont ride it to the dealer
Kazz

Post by Kazz »

Hi, I put the bike on centre stand and the wheel rotates freely. Initially when I rode it there was some vibration tru the handle bars but that went after a bit.
Praise without end for the go-ahead zeal of whoever it was invented the wheel;

But never a word for the poor soul's sake,that thought ahead and invented the brake.....
zimtim

Post by zimtim »

Check brake cylinder make sure there are no holes in the rubber seals.
If there is even the slightest hole when pressure is applied brake fluid will end up on wrong side of seal. The brake fluid pressure will remain high (on) even though you have released the brake.

Return to “TECHNICAL”