KTM 690 rocker arms

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
stubbs

Re: KTM 690 rocker arms

Post by stubbs »

You cant carry them as a spare really as you need to re shim when you change the rocker arm. Consider it a service part £120 all in for the pair. Same price as a Michelin Dessert that only lasts 1000 miles if you are lucky. Yes I know the rocker arms should last longer but life is for the living. The upsides far outweigh the negatives. Change ride and enjoy. The smile it puts on your face out weighs the pain in your pocket a 100 times over.
Famous

Post by Famous »

Why couldn't you carry a couple of shims if you are carrying a rocker arm :blink:
diggermanbob

Post by diggermanbob »

Famous wrote:Why couldn't you carry a couple of shims if you are carrying a rocker arm :blink:
My thoughts exactly , if you are capable of changing a rocker arm you should know how to shim them :whistle:
SimplyExploring

Post by SimplyExploring »

The good old KTM 690 wows :whistle:

Unfortunately Im one of those that's had experiences with them and with failure of them. Since then I've learnt allot and still learning!
I bought my 2011 690 in 2014, I had already done my home work and new anything upto 2011 was said to have rocker arms made of cheese. So I decided to change them for the new type arms, just encase I had the said cheese arms.
On changing the arms I confirmed it had the the newer type fitted already. The old type bearings were staked at there end of there shafts by a cross. The newer typed just and a punch hole. So with confidence I was never going to have a failure I was shocked to be left stranded in Germany with a rocker arm failure!! (Another story)

Since then I wasnt happy with just oh well shit happens. I dug deep into the problem and the bottom line is that it all comes down to when they was made. The company making the arms just couldn't get it right like we all know! Since the first 690 they have tried multi-able ways to stake the bearings. So even if you have changed the arms to the newer type you are not guaranteed to not have a problem.
But reports of failures are getting less and less, so Im guessing if you have a new 690 you got a good chance you will never have a problem
luckiegar

Post by luckiegar »

2014 690 15000 miles few electrical issues nothing major still running original rocker arm due for shim check soon will look then
tea007

Post by tea007 »

love mine its a awesome bike thankfully i have a great mechanic !!
bike does exactly what it says on the tin (enduro)
And to all those people that dont like them ? ride one and after that you will go and buy one
and thats the truth.
daryl

Post by daryl »

bowber wrote:I've seen the needle roller cam bearing fail in one and it was still running and doing 60+ happily, bit noisy mind, wouldn't start the next day when cold though hence the owner delving into the top end and finding the needle rollers laying around. If he'd had the parts with him he could have replaced it there so they seem easy enough to work on. In the comfort of a workshop I'd be taking the motor to bits though.

Steve
was that me by any chance?
bowber

Post by bowber »

daryl wrote: was that me by any chance?
Could have been, Alston last year? ;-)
Still impressed my how well it was running despite how much the cam was moving around.

Did you sort it ok?

Steve
LadyM

Post by LadyM »

All I know is that when they go, it's a trip killer of epic proportions :(
stubbs

Post by stubbs »

diggermanbob wrote:
Famous wrote:Why couldn't you carry a couple of shims if you are carrying a rocker arm :blink:
My thoughts exactly , if you are capable of changing a rocker arm you should know how to shim them :whistle:

You can of course carry a selection of around 8 shims usually in the range from 2.20 to 2.55 at .05 increments and hope you don't need 2 or more of the same size,a micrometer and a set of feeler gauges.

Return to “TECHNICAL”