Sorting out the ABS on my F800GS

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
Luce

Sorting out the ABS on my F800GS

Post by Luce »

As a dirt biker at heart and an older one at that, I'm not much of a fan of ABS. However, when I bought my 800GS, I had to take it as an option or wait another two or three months for one without it. The thought of a longer wait was even less appealing. In any event, I am now seriously thinking of taking it off the bike and I wondered if anyone out there had done this before. Yes, I know I can switch it off - I ride with it off most times - but with the prospect of doing a lot more off road riding in due course and the desire to rid myself of what I don't use, I have this nagging urge to do the deed. It doesn't seem overly complex a job but I wondered if there were any wiser more rational views out there before I take the plunge?
Zookman

Re:Sorting out the ABS on my F800GS

Post by Zookman »

I have ABS on my Strom and my Bandit. Its only ever been used in anger on wet roads on my Bandit, but i most certainly would have had an off without it.
If i want to turn it off on my Strom i simply pull the fuse, but you having option of a switch on the Beemer is even better. So you really have the best of all worlds... a safe and better braking system with the simplicity of just turning it off at a switch if you venture off road.
There's also the point of how your insurance may react to having the system permanantly disabled. You will have to inform them.
Treadtrader

Post by Treadtrader »

I'd advise against removing it completely.
As Zookman said, could be a insurance issue, plus it would efect resale value.
And welcome to the forum.
Contact email [email protected] or pm.
Alun

Post by Alun »

Welcome to the forum Luce. The first thing I thought was - as TT has now said - that re-sale would take a big dive.
Luce

Post by Luce »

Thanks for the quick and sensible feedback gentlemen. I guess rationality will prevail until I get the urge again.
davsato

Post by davsato »

thats one of the things that put me off a 1150GS when i was buying a few years ago.
the local dealer only ordered bikes with abs and heated grips, effectively forcing you to pay for accessories you might not have wanted, or making you wait for bmw to build your plain bike and ship it to them. glad i went with the varadero, which has abs but it came free. i wouldnt have had it otherwise and even though it is excellent i still wouldnt. you dont pay for abs in cars do you?
Dave
herman

Post by herman »

The abs system on the 800 is certainly the worst I have ever encountered so I can see why you would want to disable it,however as others have said removing it totally may not be the best move? How about reversing how the switch works so you have to turn it on rather than off?
The secret of a long life is knowing when its time to go.
Magnum

Post by Magnum »

Hi mate, i have read the comments on your topic and agree with them all, i have just spent two weeks dealing with BMW dealers over the sale of my F 800 GS, the single most attractive aspect of my bike was that it was an ABS model, it had a net effect of £500 pounds plus alot of desired interest from the dealers ta boot. leave it on and enjoy the money when the time comes buddy would be my advice.
rodcarlile

Re: Sorting out the ABS on my F800GS

Post by rodcarlile »

How did you resolve your issue, I have a similar problem with my 800. Can you pull a fuse or did you have to jumper the ABS switch?
Rod
Andi_Archer

Re: Sorting out the ABS on my F800GS

Post by Andi_Archer »

At the BMW training centre they informed me they disabled it on the 800s.Weather that was disconnecting or using the BMW data tool I dont know.

Return to “TECHNICAL”