Taxing question ? And are we being turned over?

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
hornet

Taxing question ? And are we being turned over?

Post by hornet »

Seems like the vehicle tax calculations for four wheels are more based on emissions than cubic capacity. If my bike or yours were a car it would be free at 89 g per km

What have I missed surely we motorcycle riders are not being treated unfairly what's your take on it ?

Mike
Two wheels roaming. My FB page
AlanHolt

Re: Taxing question ? And are we being turned over?

Post by AlanHolt »

I've just received the annual road tax bills for our Spanish vehicles, 2 vans (ford transit and Peugeot Partner) and 4 motorbikes(zx10r, xt600, Cagiva Raptor 1000 & TW200), all in, €276.
Current bike is a Yamaha T7
DavidS

Post by DavidS »

In the overall scheme of things, motorcycle VED isn't so bad IMHO.

It would be far far better if all 'road tax' was on fuel then that would be based on the rule that if you consume it you use it.
Low consumption is rewarded, gas guzzlers are penalised.
They can still find a way of keeping track of vehicles through an annual £10 registration confirmation.
2023 Husqvarna Norden 901
2014 KTM 690 ENDURO R
OnHellas

Post by OnHellas »

No, I don't think we are......we don't have an emission check at MOT so that makes it easier. There has to be a trade off.
hornet

Post by hornet »

AlanHolt wrote:I've just received the annual road tax bills for our Spanish vehicles, 2 vans (ford transit and Peugeot Partner) and 4 motorbikes(zx10r, xt600, Cagiva Raptor 1000 & TW200), all in, €276.
ooo aah a Raptor! :)
hornet

Post by hornet »

Just seems odd to me 4 wheels free bikes cost xy or z yes I see its not huge amounts that prohibit bike use but I see it as being unfair

Again Im ready to be corrected may just be my reading of it

Mike
Mike101

Post by Mike101 »

Be careful what you wish for.

Yes bikes pump out less CO2 than cars but they pump out much more other nasty than cars. When the gov catch on to this they will tax bikes on something else other than CO2 and we will be stuffed.

Also can you imagine having a bike and not ever being able to change the exhaust....riding about on the crap euro 4 or 5 things they make these days.

Mike
And the beast shall be huge and black, and the eyes thereof red with the blood of living creatures, and the whore of Babylon shall ride forth on a three-headed serpent, and throughout the lands, there'll be a great rubbing of parts
skipper

Post by skipper »

best thing to do with this thread in delete it, both my cars do better mpg than most of my bikes and cost well over £200 each. even my van does as much mpg as one of the bikes. we don't need any more attention.
Dirk

Post by Dirk »

Mike101 wrote:Be careful what you wish for.

Yes bikes pump out less CO2 than cars but they pump out much more other nasty than cars. When the gov catch on to this they will tax bikes on something else other than CO2 and we will be stuffed.

Also can you imagine having a bike and not ever being able to change the exhaust....riding about on the crap euro 4 or 5 things they make these days.

Mike
Eh?, I don't get that at all, got a source?
sprintster

Post by sprintster »

Dirk wrote:
Mike101 wrote:Be careful what you wish for.

Mike
Eh?, I don't get that at all, got a source?
Just last year I was running around in a 16 year old car that was fitted with a catalytic converter.It's only recently bikes have started being fitted with them.

Return to “TECHNICAL”