KTM-690R - Broken Down In Germany

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
Scott_rider

Re: KTM-690R - Broken Down In Germany

Post by Scott_rider »

Any update yet?
Suzuki GSX-S1000F...the KTM 450 EXC-R has gone
MHsnowy

Post by MHsnowy »

Broken spring on the auto decompressor?
That would give the impression of hard to turn over.
Bianchi

Post by Bianchi »

you are on a trip on a 690 and you don't even have a plug key with you B) ...looking forward to hearing what the problem is ....good luck with getting back on the road (thumbs)
SimplyExploring

Post by SimplyExploring »

Bianchi wrote:you are on a trip on a 690 and you don't even have a plug key with you B) (thumbs)
Normally I always do, but on this occasion I did not! But even if I did it would of not helped me much on this occasion.
SimplyExploring

Sorry for the delayed reply on this guys. I've had the week from hell :(

The morning after the breakdown the reason for it all came apparent and out of everything that could off failed this was the last that should

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (44.86 KiB) Viewed 1842 times
AndyB

Post by AndyB »

Coming home on a recovery truck then? Good luck getting it sorted but at least we know now that a plug spanner would have helped as much as a chocolate teapot :)
SimplyExploring

Before anyone jumps up and says this is a major week point of the 690 I already now! And was the reason last year I changed the old rocker arms out for new current uprated arms! So to find that the reason for breaking down was this you can imagine how pissed off I was!

To cut a long story short, and with a quote of 2000 euro plus and week plus for repair I decided the game was up and it was time to call the cavalery and get me and the bike home! (Another story in it self).

I've just started to pull bike apart. But 2 new arms and cam needed, so hoping the damage stops there !
AndyB

Post by AndyB »

Like I said, good luck getting home. It's rotten when things go wrong and everyone wants to tell you what you should or shouldn't have done. At least it broke down somewhere exciting rather than just off the M6. Glass half full etc :)
catcitrus

Post by catcitrus »

Thats a major failure!--on my old 640 the weak point was also the rocker--but the inlet roller follower because it was narrower than the exhaust and the needle rollers used to pack up( I reckon a design cock up as the valve spring rates and lift were pretty much the same inlet and exhaust--they canna take the strain!--at least with the old 640 you got some warning as the valve clearance went out and it really clacked--I had to have this follower changed twice in well over 40k--and that was the only non service replacement--you would have thought that they would have learned--and they are squeezing even more power out of the latest evolution of the engine
Mike54

Post by Mike54 »

Very frustratig to find out that the pre-emptive replacement you did ultimately didn't resolve the issue.

With adac, on the basis of the time of the repair and the cost they should repatriate the bike for you at no cost.

Return to “TECHNICAL”