KTM-690R - Broken Down In Germany

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
luckiegar

Re: KTM-690R - Broken Down In Germany

Post by luckiegar »

check fuses under seat had exact same on teas bike , fuse not blown but filament fractured also had it happen to mine on throttle body circuit that blincked code teas just died no ignition at all fuses looked fine , soon as we pulled on fuse box created problem
Mike54

Post by Mike54 »

Obviuosy its impossible to diagnose from a distance but if the battery is ok and was just slow due to repeated cranking, my best guess is the injector. the in tank filter/ pump should be checked too. but the 690 can be a little sensive hence the suggestion to get it to a dealer. They can plug it in initially and go from there. In the meantime do you know how to backwards flush the injector? i can tell you how to do it if you have time and inclination.

however, if the battery is actually weak from another reason then the above is unlikely
felco

Post by felco »

SimplyExploring wrote:Got recovered and its looking more terminal, will not turn over on starter pack and sounds like the engine is hydro locked if anything. The wife who was following says there was no smoke or any signs of the bike dying. So more confused by this now. When bike died it didn't sound like anything serious had failed no crunching or bangs

Been bought back to local ADAC depot and just trying to arrange them taking it to dealer
It could well have, mine did, fingers crossed its not done the same, good luck (thumbs)
johnnyboxer

Post by johnnyboxer »

felco wrote:
SimplyExploring wrote:Got recovered and its looking more terminal, will not turn over on starter pack and sounds like the engine is hydro locked if anything. The wife who was following says there was no smoke or any signs of the bike dying. So more confused by this now. When bike died it didn't sound like anything serious had failed no crunching or bangs

Been bought back to local ADAC depot and just trying to arrange them taking it to dealer
It could well have, mine did, fingers crossed its not done the same, good luck (thumbs)
Is that when you went through deep water (like any other bike at stream crossings) or is a spontaneous engine reason, unrelated to water crossings?
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
herman

Post by herman »

johnnyboxer wrote:
felco wrote:

Is that when you went through deep water (like any other bike at stream crossings) or is a spontaneous engine reason, unrelated to water crossings?
Can happen if it dumps loads of fuel in too. :(
The secret of a long life is knowing when its time to go.
Scott_rider

Post by Scott_rider »

This may sound bonkers but it might be worth checking the fuse for the speedo...on some bikes, the speedo and FI circuit use the same fuse.

I only know this because we had a similiar problem in 2014 with an '08 Tuono. It just died. The engine felt like it was locked. We got recovered to an Aprilia dealer in Le Mans. He couldn't sort it (despite a lot of effort and help (thumbs) ). After it was diagnosed back in the UK it was fixed in 30 seconds and with a 50p spend.

Might be worth checking?
Suzuki GSX-S1000F...the KTM 450 EXC-R has gone
Mike54

Post by Mike54 »

That one would be obvious as you wouldnt hear the fuel pump priming on start up
minkyhead

Post by minkyhead »

wernt felcos somthing to do with a crankcase breather valve ??
whats the wether forcast ..wheres me map
felco

Post by felco »

No due to oil going up with the piston, basically , a butterfly valve in crank case had got wedged open with swarf, it should be closed on the up stroke, so kept on taking oil up, thus making it harder and harder for the engine to run,
carried on running as the valve was only partially open, when stopped the starter couldn't turn it over, it never gave the impression of being locked up, just slow running, hardly any smoke neither, complete rebuild to find problem and 10 weeks :blink: under warranty at the time, hopefully its a different problem, fingers crossed.
SimplyExploring

Post by SimplyExploring »

well still none the wiser, never got to a KTM dealer as they refused to take it that far. But ended up at a multibike dealership. Owner very helpful and speaks good english. One of there mechanics is ex KTM and seems to no the bike. But he hit a brick wall as he didnt have his thin socket to get spark plug out. But one at home and will bring in for the morning. Need to find out whats hydro locking the engine and go from there. Its looking more and more like a trip killer and ££££ and big bill to sort.
I did top the bike up on oil in the morning but only to the dot in sight glass and no more. Im now wondering if bike was giving me a false reading and Ive over filled it. But I checked again when I broke down and oil was still bang on the dot in sight glass.

The mechanics have managed to get it to turn over slowly but agree with me that engine is hydro locking for some reason

thansk again for all the input guys and Im hoping for better news in the morning

Return to “TECHNICAL”