KTM-690R - Broken Down In Germany

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
SimplyExploring

KTM-690R - Broken Down In Germany

Post by SimplyExploring »

Hi Guys,

Beroken down in Germany...... Looking for some advice...

Bike just completely died.... no engine management light, warning lights etc....
Ignition light comes on, slow turn over but wont start. Bumping also will not start the engine.

This bike has been running smooth until this sudden death. Any advise on what this could be?
Mike54

Re: KTM-690R - Broken Down In Germany

Post by Mike54 »

It could be one of many things. Best advice is get recovered to a bike garage preferably a KTM dealer. If you put up what town you're in that would help.

eta - slow turnover indicates electrical. get the battery checked first
Tramp

Post by Tramp »

Sorry H....you getting spark?....try ktm uk forum as surely they can recommend a dealer nearby....or maybe a van rescue to a.friendly german home.

Which town you near as have relatives in Dortmund....
beddowsm

Post by beddowsm »

After what happened with my 950 which turned out to be a loose wire, Id be tempted to check the wiring. Start at the ignition and work your way back making sure there are no loose connections. corroded wires or and trapped wires.
catcitrus

Post by catcitrus »

It has all the symptoms of a dead battery as when the voltage drops the electrical system doesn't know its left from its right--try a fully charged battery first and if it runs check the terminal voltage to make sure that you are getting about 14.5V--a lot more or less suggests a fried regulator/charging system--over charging will kill the battery.
SimplyExploring

I'm in Sulgen just left Black Forest. Waiting for ADAC now but trying to get a heads up before I get to the bike somewhere. Going try get it to a local dealer.
But thanks for all the replies. It does sound like electrical as you say as there no other tell tale signs
Mike54

Post by Mike54 »

nearest to you - ktm dealers. 1st is 66k away. 2nd one is 95km away etc. adac will try to take you to the nearest garage, they dont care about a dealer. try to get to the KTM dealer if you can. Push them. if there is a german speaker here and they are free and ADAC will take you, someone could ring them and warn them youre coming

Motorrad Rubin

Muehlenstraße 43
77963 Schwanau-Nonnenweier

Telefon:
07824 4320
Fax:
07824 1468
E-Mail:
[email protected]
http://www.motorrad-rubin.de

Öffnungszeiten

Montag geschlossen Di. - Fr.: 09.00 - 12.30 Uhr und 14.00 - 18.30 Uhr Sa.: 09.00 - 13.00 Uhr
Zahlungsoptionen

CashCredit CardDebit Card (EC)

95KM away

Motorrad Pfefferle

Wasen 24
79244 Muenstertal

over 2 hours

Motocenter Hegau GmbH

Weidgang 3
78247 Hilzingen
minkyhead

Post by minkyhead »

hopfully someone can help ..i remember a 690 giving trouble on one of the meets ..i also remember later on it was found the bike having a hairline crack in a fuse so it was half blown half connected which made it very difficult to detect as it looked ok ..
ive no idea if thats out to do with it but i did remember it as its a very unusual thing to happen and a bugger to find ..

hope you get sorted a very long shot i guess but worth acloser look in absence of a voltmeter
whats the wether forcast ..wheres me map
SimplyExploring

Thanks Mike :)
SimplyExploring

Got recovered and its looking more terminal, will not turn over on starter pack and sounds like the engine is hydro locked if anything. The wife who was following says there was no smoke or any signs of the bike dying. So more confused by this now. When bike died it didn't sound like anything serious had failed no crunching or bangs

Been bought back to local ADAC depot and just trying to arrange them taking it to dealer

Return to “TECHNICAL”