GS Adventure Exhaust Valve / Flap

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
MarkN

Post by MarkN »

My dealer has told me that the exhaust valve thing inline on the pipe is no longer working on my bike and typically, it isn't covered on the extended warranty. They want about £350 for a new one.
Anyway, I've been told that it can be taken away by replacing the bit of pipe with a short section.
Has anyone had it done on their bike? Where can I get hold of the pipe?
Thanks for any help.
Cheers
Mark
dmac

Re: GS Adventure Exhaust Valve / Flap

Post by dmac »

Mark suggest you post on UKGSER, wealth of knowledge on there!
Currently an F650GS, DR350 and RV125 in the family stable.
Tonibe63

Post by Tonibe63 »

Do a search on UKGSer
Here is a recent thread http://ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php ... st-flapper
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.
AustinW

Post by AustinW »

I replaced my flappy thing about 6months ago. There's no difference in day to day use. Nippy Normans and I think motoworks sell the link pipe for about £30. But if you look on UKGSer there's a sticky somewhere on replacing the valve giving the dimensions of the link pipe needed and a step by step guide. The pipe should About £10-£15 from an exhaust maker. I got mine from NN as the exhaust guy local to me starting dicking about.

Simple job but get some penetrating oil on the two clamps for a day or two beforehand to make sure they will come off. IIRC the clamp and bolts are stainless but the nuts aren't (or was it the bolts? Whatever there is a risk something will be seized or difficult to remove). Once that's done it really is easy.
JonnyBravo

Post by JonnyBravo »

Exactly what he said above - (thumbs)

i bought my bit of pipe from Nippy Norm -
£30 is a lot for a bit of pipe but it also saved a lot of time sourcing something local
When nothing is going right - go left
MarkN

Post by MarkN »

Thanks for the link, that's interesting reading. (thumbs)
MarkN

Post by MarkN »

AustinW wrote:I replaced my flappy thing about 6months ago. There's no difference in day to day use. Nippy Normans and I think motoworks sell the link pipe for about £30. But if you look on UKGSer there's a sticky somewhere on replacing the valve giving the dimensions of the link pipe needed and a step by step guide. The pipe should About £10-£15 from an exhaust maker. I got mine from NN as the exhaust guy local to me starting dicking about.

Simple job but get some penetrating oil on the two clamps for a day or two beforehand to make sure they will come off. IIRC the clamp and bolts are stainless but the nuts aren't (or was it the bolts? Whatever there is a risk something will be seized or difficult to remove). Once that's done it really is easy.
Thanks Austin, just seen the link to NN, I'm going to order the part tonight and do the work this week. Good tip about the nuts too, when I get home from work tomorrow night, I'll give them a good spray and coating. (thumbs)
bimota

Post by bimota »

mine stopped working on my 2010 gsa, told when in for service but it had seized in the open position.

SO did nothing just kept riding because i didn,t know it was seized and bike rode with no issues.

rob
Rederic

Post by Rederic »

I would just get a set of decat headers for it, and enjoy the extra bit of umph you get and better fuel consumption (thumbs)
If your not the lead dog the view never change's
misterlaffer

Post by misterlaffer »

Sounds like you have made the choice to swap it out with the blank pipe, however they can be cleaned easily. Mine was playing up early last summer just before a big trip to Spain. Kept making a squeaking noise as it pivots. My dealer wanted about the same as yours to replace. They tend to seize in the open position so usually cause no problem. However, I took the end can off and took the butterfly right off sure enough it was really stiff. I cleaned it in a combination of Mr Muscle and left it to soak in petrol overnight. This freed it up, as you would imagine tons of carbon came out. My trip was saved, and caused me no issue since.

The reason the dealer was alerted to this is if the solenoid struggles too much on resistance it throws up an error code, they naturally assume it needs changing, so in your position I would always try and clean first. I have an electronic copy of refit and adjust instructions for the Bowden cables , PM me and I will send you a copy if you decide to try and clean first.

Failing that as mentioned by others,Nippy Normans sell a slip on blank pipe to replace it with that comes with instructions on how to remove the motor and cables etc. However, when I last looked at this they wanted £30 or more for what is essentially a bit of standard pipe I think you can get cheaper from a regular car exhaust place they use for similar reasons. That would be my next option if it fails again and I can't free in future.

Return to “TECHNICAL”