Numb thumb

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
Hoggyf

Re: Numb thumb

Post by Hoggyf »

The visit to the doc was as useful as the grip puppies! doesn't think its Reyauds disease and not carpal tunnel either so keep trying to work it out myslef, might try a few different styles of bikes and see if that makes a difference.
Then:
Honda MB5, Honda MBX125, 350LC, RGV250, MTX125, GasGas JTX250, CM 644 DS, BMW R1100S, Beta Rev3 250, Beta Rev4T, Honda XL700V Transalp, BMW F800 GS, Kawasaki Super Sherpa
Now:
Montesa 4RT, Triumph Tiger 800, Beta Alp, Montesa 315
Hoggyf

Post by Hoggyf »

Think I've finally Sussed this out, the angle of the bars is too close to 90deg from the centre of the bike which means the heel of my hand is pressing right under my thumb, so what I need is a more swept back shape of bar that firs a Triumph Tiger 800, any suggestions on where to start finding a set?
Then:
Honda MB5, Honda MBX125, 350LC, RGV250, MTX125, GasGas JTX250, CM 644 DS, BMW R1100S, Beta Rev3 250, Beta Rev4T, Honda XL700V Transalp, BMW F800 GS, Kawasaki Super Sherpa
Now:
Montesa 4RT, Triumph Tiger 800, Beta Alp, Montesa 315
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

ive not read all this post,, but it may be worth trying to alter the angle the handlebars meet the line of the forks? (the rake?)
just slacken off the bar holding clamps and turn the h bars down a bit? (then re-tighten)
just a thought.

[I have done this in the past and it helped the strain on the palms/ heel].
SteveR

Post by SteveR »

Hoggyf wrote:Think I've finally Sussed this out, the angle of the bars is too close to 90deg from the centre of the bike which means the heel of my hand is pressing right under my thumb, so what I need is a more swept back shape of bar that firs a Triumph Tiger 800, any suggestions on where to start finding a set?
Interesting finding Hoggy.. When I first got my Vara XL1000 I was really unhappy with the bars angle and layout. THe issue was that the bars were really pulled back in almost a cruiser feel when I had the bars pulled back in my preferred location to give an upright seating position. THe risers I fitted helped as I was able to tilt the bar forward as well as raising them which made the angle slightly nearer to the 90deg that bothers you.

No idea if the Vara bars would fit, but it should be relatively easy to find a bar to suit you.... I hope! Fingers x'd. (thumbs)
ledwardio

Post by ledwardio »

I had a similar problem and went to the Doc expecting a carpal tunnel syndrome diagnosis - got referred to a physio and he dismissed Carpal Tunnel and said it was something to do with my Ulnar nerve being affected by my neck - gave me some neck exercises and it improved a lot. It still comes back now and again but a quick jiggle of my head tends to help.

Return to “TECHNICAL”