Light problem

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
Tourist-Biker

Re: Light problem

Post by Tourist-Biker »

beddowsm wrote: Still need to figure out what the blue wire is?
Main Beam ??
Andi_Archer

Post by Andi_Archer »

Black will be the Earth wire and of the blue and brown one should be the dip live feed and one high beam live feed.So check by using the control switches with a volt meter that thay are both getting power on and off.
Is the HID an after market install or factory fit?
Is ther any signs of melted plastic around the connector?
beddowsm

Post by beddowsm »

Andi_Archer wrote:Black will be the Earth wire and of the blue and brown one should be the dip live feed and one high beam live feed.So check by using the control switches with a volt meter that thay are both getting power on and off.
Is the HID an after market install or factory fit?
Is ther any signs of melted plastic around the connector?
Thanks, that's the answer I was hoping for. Makes sense now. So the blue is a live for the hid. I can test by bridging the live brown to Blue to test the hid. If it works I'll follow the blue into the tangled mess of my wiring loom to until I find where the 12v stops working.

Doubt the hid is factory fit, was on when I got the bike.

And yep, that black wire is a bit frayed.
CRAIGREVO

Post by CRAIGREVO »

Give the black wire a bit of a tug. Looking at the picture the chances are it's corrided and only holding by a few strands.
Andi_Archer

Post by Andi_Archer »

Ermm nope dont know where you going with that.....the blue and black should feed the HID controller at some juncture.You might find the cable has been tapped into by a posi-connector to a relay which then actuates a live feed from another newer live cable to the HID.
The usual reason for using a relay is because the origional wiring wont support the extra load of the new lighting so people install a new live feed from the battery [either with an inline fuse or via the fuse box] and switch this onto the HID with the relay.
So.....Id suggest rooting round in there for bad connectors and possibly as both lights went out check the earthing cable is secure as suggested as this will make both fail.
You might install a better earthing [black] to the body as lighting can get a voltage drop by poor connections too which makes them dimmer than they should be and as I said recheck that plug for damage or poor connection.
beddowsm

Post by beddowsm »

Andi_Archer wrote:Ermm nope dont know where you going with that.....the blue and black should feed the HID controller at some juncture.
Hope this will show what I mean...
HID_2015-12-07.JPG
HID_2015-12-07.JPG (15.13 KiB) Viewed 1723 times
I know I have a 12V connection for the brown and black wires.....so assuming fitting a new bulb will work my OEM main beam.

What Id like to do is bridge the female Brown connector to the blue (the pink line!) thus taking the live 12V feed and passing it to the HID. Just to test that the HID still works. If so, then I need to trace the blue wire back further (from the point where Ive written 0V).

Im not keen to trace it back further unless I have to. It goes into a large bundle of wires that are all taped together. My concern would be damaging whatever it contains when I start trying to cut the tape.
Tramp

Post by Tramp »

Mike...

have you tried just joining apositive and negative from a battery say old charged car/bike one straight to the hid /oe light unit not via the bike system to check that part is functional...

if the problem is further down the loom nearer the power feed bridging the gap wont really help with final solution...

but aint ktm`s AC powered or is that just the smaller enduro?

bets of luck (thumbs)
DaveCon

Post by DaveCon »

Sounds like an earth problem to me. If you have a meter with Ohms on it try measuring from the black wire to the bike chassis or, if it reaches, to the -ve on your battery. It should measure a couple of Ohms at the most but ideally zero.

Another possibility is the switch itself. The contacts may have got a bit of resistance on them for various reasons if they get damp. Try "exercising" (as we say) the switch ie flip it on/off rapidly a few times with the power off. Better still if you can, bypass the switch.

Easy way to check the HID - flip from main to full beam, Its unlikely that both filaments go at the same time!
Andi_Archer

Post by Andi_Archer »

Yep I understand what your attempting but the internal wiring may not be able to take the load hence the relay [if fitted].If you want to check the HID just jump a couple of suitable wires from the battery to the connection but as both went out its more likely to be a common problem affecting both i.e, a bad earth connection.
Can you not see onm the bulb if the dip element burned out?
beddowsm

Post by beddowsm »

Andi_Archer wrote: Can you not see onm the bulb if the dip element burned out?
No visible evidence of anything wrong with the bulb.....need to get some wire today and connect up to the battery to check.

Return to “TECHNICAL”