hand operated rear brake, for KTM 690....help

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
AndyB

Re: hand operated rear brake, for KTM 690....help

Post by AndyB »

felco wrote:
AndyB wrote:You've got more control in higher gears. Nobody in their right mind tries to keep a wheelie going in 1st gear but get it into 3rd and you've usually got enough speed to make the bike easier to control but the revs are lower and the bike won't react as quickly to the throttle.
Why not? Speed wheelies are easy,1 mile in 1st gear is real skill.
That's where I fail dismally :(
felco

Post by felco »

AndyB wrote:
felco wrote:
AndyB wrote:You've got more control in higher gears. Nobody in their right mind tries to keep a wheelie going in 1st gear but get it into 3rd and you've usually got enough speed to make the bike easier to control but the revs are lower and the bike won't react as quickly to the throttle.
me too Andy but lucky for me am not in my right mind :) if I stop trying I fear I will grow old really quickly :)
AndyB

Post by AndyB »

felco wrote:
AndyB wrote:
felco wrote:
me too Andy but lucky for me am not in my right mind :) if I stop trying I fear I will grow old really quickly :)
And there you have the reason that I'm taking a BMW S1000R for a test ride tomorrow. That amount of horsepower aided by a good dollop of torque has got to make it a really stupid bike to own.
herman

Post by herman »

There is a cable operated set up on evil bay somewhere. Meant to work well but I have no experience of it. As said Recluse do one and I have one sat here but I am not keen on it personally.
The secret of a long life is knowing when its time to go.
Harty

Post by Harty »

I've got a Rekluse type clutch for a 690 for sale
.....eat my dirt!
picos mestizo

Post by picos mestizo »

Thumb brake used by track racers. Doesn't get in the way of other controls.
Lightness is everything.

Lightness with Grunt is a Scratcher!

An Adventure is not a tank transfer.
Thedktor

Post by Thedktor »

I learnt to wheelie properly by dragging the back brake slightly until I got a proper feel for it, and to get the confidence that the brake will 100% prevent you flipping, and then once you are balancing you don't really touch the brake much. Especially on a bigger 4 stroke as even in the higher gears there's plenty of engine braking.

Anyway, the point I was going to make is for any distance, hanging on to the LH bar with only a couple of fingers so you can operate the brake does not seem a very practical idea?

I would suggest putting a bit more play in the rear brake pedal and learn to use it ;)
- Steve

Southampton area

DR350, 349, DRZ, 701

Return to “TECHNICAL”