Kreiga Neoprene Fork Seal Protectors

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
johnnyboxer

Post by johnnyboxer »

Off-road yep

Always had the rubber ones to protect the seals
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
Dutchgit

Re: Kreiga Neoprene Fork Seal Protectors

Post by Dutchgit »

I've had neoprene gaiters on my bikes for the last three years without any leaks or damaged chrome.
Before I had them on I've changed the seals twice in one year...
I've fitted the full length neoprene "socks" on both USD and conventional forks. As you seal them with the cable ties no cr4p gets in. The only time something might get in is if you run them in the desert for a long time as the finest dust apparantly does get in over time.
The ones with velcro are easy to fit and remove but they can let in more crud.
It'll end in tears I tells ya.
johnnyboxer

Post by johnnyboxer »

Good tips

I'm wanting to keep the worst of the crud away from the seal area altogether - whilst riding

I would remove regularly to clean thoroughly
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
andymac

Post by andymac »

I fitted the kriega ones,,,,,,they collected more crap than ever so I took them off !!
work hard,,,,,,,,,,,play harder !!
daytona-supersport

Post by daytona-supersport »

Having had to change the fork seals on off road bikes so many times I went out and bought the KTM slide hammer tool to make the job quicker. Finally I started to fit the neoprene socks onto any bike that came to me for repair. After fitting these socks, not one of the bikes has ever needed replacement oil seals. I fit the full length socks, not the little short ones. Cable tie the top only and use big ties in order to keep the plastic fork protector rubbing on the top of the neoprene sock. A bit of wd40 squirted on the inside lets the sock slide on the moving lower section. After a wet ride or washing squeeze the sock to get rid of some of the excess water and when it dries a bit squirt some WD up inside to keep the sliders clean and very lightly oiled.
This routine has worked fine for years on seven KTM bikes and one Honda CRF owned either by myself, my son or friends seeking a bit of mechanical help. I can honestly say that once I have fitted the socks, I have not needed to fit a fork seal on any of the bikes.
Do take off, or slide down the outer dirt seal and clean it before fitting the socks.
Usually the reason the seals fail is not heavy wet mud on the fork legs, this just drops off or gets wiped off as the fork works. The real culprit of seal failure is the fine mud and dust residue that dries on the leg and gets carried through the seal. Fitting the sock, largely stops this contamination in the first instance and also wipes the fork leg clean with the fork movement.
I would definitely fit the long KTM socks to any bike with USD forks that was being used off road or in challenging conditions.
mancunian

Post by mancunian »

I concur similar experience with usd WPs and long neoprene gaiters, fit them and forget them :)

Prior to this was changing fork seals every six months :(

Return to “TECHNICAL”