This is really bad news for owners of older bikes riding into London

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
Billy Bananahead

Re: This is really bad news for owners of older bikes riding into London

Post by Billy Bananahead »

redbikejohn wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:20 pm People in power have always hated bikes.
Except when they want something double quick to an exclusive address in the Home Counties and we're all potential 1%ers ready to rape and pillage their wives and daughters. :twisted:
Trev

Post by Trev »

I get up to London a couple of times a month (never, ever on a bike) and am always interested to see what bikes are being ridden around and parked up and have to say I rarely see anything over ten yeasr old anyway so don't expect this is going to effect very many people. London, like most large cities, has a real problem with air quality and a few high emission vehicles can have a disproportinate effect so the 'people effected negatively v improvement in air quality ratio is probably quite good.

Not great of course for those forced to trade in their ancient CB500 for a brand new GS but there are always some losers with any change. Perhaps Honda is bringing the new Cub over specifically to target the couple of dozen London bikers effected by the new rules :D
redbikejohn

Post by redbikejohn »

'Couple of dozen London bikers' eh? With the population counted in the millions, I'm pretty sure the figure will be rather high. 2007 isn't very old.
Yamaha tenere 700
XT660Z written off from behind by car.

Check out www.redbikejohn.com for ride & race reports (enduro, H&H etc).
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

The hipsters with their air-cooled 1980s caferacerscramblerbobbers are going to have to find a new hobby.

And what about all those Londoners who have ordered CCM Spitfires...which probably don't meet Euro approval...or indeed any SVA vehicle?
catcitrus

Post by catcitrus »

I avoid London almost totally these days--my van is too old--and now at least one of my bikes will be--it reminds me of "Escape from LA" with Snake Plissken--the harder they try the more they will keep people out--maybe not a bad idea.
P4ulie

Post by P4ulie »

Will certainly make the Bike Shed easier to park up at :lol:

The 2007 blanket ban is slightly misleading, quite a few models were already compliant from 2004 onwards, there is a website you can check your model but I forget the url. If your bike has carbs though assume you're fooked.

Although I ride daily in London it won't affect me, I rarely travel to the centre & the only old munter I ever owned broke down so often I replaced it with brand new in 2014. I see very few older bikes being ridden regularly
With enough profanity, you can accomplish anything
Trev

Post by Trev »

redbikejohn wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:15 pm 'Couple of dozen London bikers' eh? With the population counted in the millions, I'm pretty sure the figure will be rather high. 2007 isn't very old.
OK maybe a little flippant, possibly a couple of hundred ;)

My 'evidence' is purely anectdotal , I just don't see that many older bikes when I'm in or travelling into London, you may see a lot more when you're there. Being slightly less flippant, I don't see it will adversely effect many (any) who can't simply afford to buy something newer. If you're commuting into London on an ancient 125 as it's all you can afford then you are definitely in the wrong job!

It's good to have a winge but not every decision by 'The Man' is calculated to make the lives of the great unwashed that bit smellier :D
redbikejohn

Post by redbikejohn »

The above may be true for the very centre but in another two years it'll expand to the north circular and that is where the ace cafe is, not exactly a higly affluent area.
Yamaha tenere 700
XT660Z written off from behind by car.

Check out www.redbikejohn.com for ride & race reports (enduro, H&H etc).
HedgeHopper

Post by HedgeHopper »

It's good to have a winge but not every decision by 'The Man' is calculated to make the lives of the great unwashed that bit smellier :D
You're right, most decisions by 'the man' are determined by how much of a backhander or stake in the pie some capitalist twat will throw his way , the fact that the peasants get ass-rapedin the process is simply a by product and not to be fussed over
It's all about selling new stuff whether it's needed or not................keeps the economy going round and round and........
Trev

Post by Trev »

HedgeHopper wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 4:44 pm
You're right, most decisions by 'the man' are determined by how much of a backhander or stake in the pie some capitalist twat will throw his way , the fact that the peasants get ass-rapedin the process is simply a by product and not to be fussed over
It's all about selling new stuff whether it's needed or not................keeps the economy going round and round and........
:D :D :D :D

Return to “TECHNICAL”