Maxxicross It report

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
picos mestizo

Re: Maxxicross It report

Post by picos mestizo »

Mike54 wrote:It's an enduro tyre not a "winter" tyre per se. They are good, just don't last due to the soft compound. In Greece this year my mate had them (he'd meant to buy IT's and got the code wrong) and they were lasting precisely a day in mixed terrain (on a ktm 400 exc)
Sure it's an Enduro tyre, & it's road legal. Even has it embossed on the carcase.
It's wet & muddy now in Hertfordshire & Essex so an ideal tyre to use under these wintry conditions.
What names tyres have on them I find meaningless & make up my own mind when to use them.
And for me this tyre is definately a superb tyre for the winter. (thumbs)
Lightness is everything.

Lightness with Grunt is a Scratcher!

An Adventure is not a tank transfer.
minkyhead

Post by minkyhead »

id aggree you want the m7304 IT m7305 IT ..the front only comes in a 80/100/21..still fit ok 10 ml less width and about the same height

id say dave for the kind of riding we do ..i/e staying upright on slippy grass and mud the 644 is well up to the job of planting the front ..im using 644s front on the xt and klr at the moment and they bite well on slippy grassy trails

..more aggressive slidways riders on lighter bikes would probably need the sidewall traction of the maxxis ..but missionary position trail riding the 644s do a real good job

i can tell you the 644s front wear extreamly well ..the one on the xt has 5000 miles up and is still in very good shape ...they dont wear the blocks down under braking leaving weird chamfered edges they wear very evenly over the blocks keepin them square
i think they are a very good choice for a longer distance trail tyre that dont require big angles of lean off road

http://www.maxxis.co.uk/catalog/tyre-95 ... 7304-m7305

still like the other guys id be interested to hear how the maxxis 7314 front hold up on road milage ??

644 well over 3000

644 well over 5000

whats the wether forcast ..wheres me map
Mike54

Post by Mike54 »

If you guys want a really mega tyre which is good for most things and fine on tarmac, look at the maxxis SI. Still listed as a 120, but actual size is 132. Fully road legal despite the 19mm knobs. More grip than the IT in the snotty stuff and particularly awesome on wet grass and anything shitty
picos mestizo

Post by picos mestizo »

minkyhead wrote:id aggree you want the m7304 IT m7305 IT ..the front only comes in a 80/100/21..still fit ok 10 ml less width and about the same height

id say dave for the kind of riding we do ..i/e staying upright on slippy grass and mud the 644 is well up to the job of planting the front ..im using 644s front on the xt and klr at the moment and they bite well on slippy grassy trails

..more aggressive slidways riders on lighter bikes would probably need the sidewall traction of the maxxis ..but missionary position trail riding the 644s do a real good job

i can tell you the 644s front wear extreamly well ..the one on the xt has 5000 miles up and is still in very good shape ...they dont wear the blocks down under braking leaving weird chamfered edges they wear very evenly over the blocks keepin them square
i think they are a very good choice for a longer distance trail tyre that dont require big angles of lean off road

still like the other guys id be interested to hear how the maxxis 7314 front hold up on road milage ??
It's actually the 7313 90/90 - 21 that's the front.I should have it on soon when this MT21 gives up the grip.
I wouldn't use a 7314 on the rear as I don't think it would last long, I use an IT Intermediate 7305 on the rear & find it (thumbs)
Lightness is everything.

moto al

Post by moto al »

Mike54 wrote:If you guys want a really mega tyre which is good for most things and fine on tarmac, look at the maxxis SI. Still listed as a 120, but actual size is 132. Fully road legal despite the 19mm knobs. More grip than the IT in the snotty stuff and particularly awesome on wet grass and anything shitty
Mike you don't happen to sell them,by any chance.....eh.and here's me thinkin you not supposed to advertise on the forum :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: Al. :)
moto al
minkyhead

Post by minkyhead »

trying to recap on the thread russ uses a 7305 IT rear and it seems to hold up real well on the road
what were not sure of is how well the front maxxis hold up for milage on the road under braking ect ect ..i dont think there will be many complaints off road
for instance as a aside i like the metzler unicross fronts but 2500 and there toast :(
whats the wether forcast ..wheres me map
picos mestizo

Post by picos mestizo »

minkyhead wrote:trying to recap on the thread russ uses a 7305 IT rear and it seems to hold up real well on the road
what were not sure of is how well the front maxxis hold up for milage on the road under braking ect ect ..i dont think there will be many complaints off road
for instance as a aside i like the metzler unicross fronts but 2500 and there toast :(
I've used 7304's for a long while & they ride well on tarmac with acceptable longevity for an open tread knobly.
The 7313 has an even more open pattern with smaller knobs so I'm not expecting great road mileage from it. My criteria for this choice was mud grip which it allegedly excells @, we shall see :whistle:
Lightness is everything.

Tramp

Post by Tramp »

slightly off topic..

but after changing my front 644 army special for bridgestone fim gritty front tyre i go off herman ...wow im well impressed road it last Alton meet at 65mph in torrential rain on motorways and A roads with no drama..didnt like the motorway lorry dips :woohoo: ..on the saturated chalky / muddy trails it was inspiring ..still tried to climb up the sides of those narrow pesky ruts :P ..

sorry to interupt the thread..
Mike54

Post by Mike54 »

moto al wrote:
Mike54 wrote:If you guys want a really mega tyre which is good for most things and fine on tarmac, look at the maxxis SI. Still listed as a 120, but actual size is 132. Fully road legal despite the 19mm knobs. More grip than the IT in the snotty stuff and particularly awesome on wet grass and anything shitty
Mike you don't happen to sell them,by any chance.....eh.and here's me thinkin you not supposed to advertise on the forum :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: Al. :)
Yes Al we do sell them, but you'll note that I didn't draw attention to that or even mention it, and they are available all over, but thanks for the advert (thumbs)
Mike54

Post by Mike54 »

minkyhead wrote:trying to recap on the thread russ uses a 7305 IT rear and it seems to hold up real well on the road
Steve, I really dislike the IT front. They wear quickly and they don't give good grip offroad either. If you compare the front knob shape with something like a metzeler 6 days, or a michelin comp3 or comp6, or a dunlop geomax, it's clear why the grip is not in the same league. When those knobs do wear even a bit, grip is terrible and on wet tarmac at speed can be horrendous. 6 days extreme hard wear really well, though I don't like the front size, I prefer a 90/100 to a 90/90 or an 80/100

Return to “TECHNICAL”