Sticking rear brakes

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
zimtim

Sticking rear brakes

Post by zimtim »

I have a second hand BMW f650gs the trouble is that the rear brake keeps sticking on. I stripped the caliper down and given it all a really good clean and applied copper grease to all moving parts (not on the pads ) and all seemed to be working fine but I wanted to go for a ride and within a 9miles the rear brakes had stuck fast and were really smoking hot. Had to sit around for half and while the brakes cooled down then it was a tentative ride home using only the engine and front brake,
Please can anyone help

Re: Sticking rear brakes

Post by Guest »

Did you apply copper grease to the piston? If so, that could be the problem.

Post by Guest »

Sorry, that wasn't a very clear answer, was it! What I meant to say was...copperslip is a good thing on the back of the brake pad where it comes into contact with the piston. It isn't so good on the side of the piston as that has to be nice and clean to slide in and out of the caliper. if it has bunged up the piston, the least you'll have to do is pump the piston out (not all the way out, though!), wipe it with a clean rag and repeat until it comes out clean a few times. If you have some brake fluid available put some on another clean rag and wipe it on the sides of the piston, then push it into the caliper. Pop the pads back in, put the caliper back on, pump the brake lever, and pray that all is well. Sounds easy don't it!:whistle:
CRAIGREVO

Post by CRAIGREVO »

Did you remove the piston and the seal and clear all the alloy corrosion from behind the seal?
If so then try getting the brake to grip tight and cracking the bleed nipple undone, if it releases then its probably the brake line that's the problem. ;)

Also make sure your fluid level isn't filled to the top as it needs room to expand when it gets hot. :)
zimtim

Post by zimtim »

Thanks
I'm Sure I don't have any grease on the piston but will double check. It all seems to work fine it is only problematic after about 8-9 miles and although there is plenty on brake fluid it is not overly full. Will give it another go this week.
Thanks again
Redmurty

Post by Redmurty »

It must be dragging to get hot, check the linkage, manually check the pistons are moving by whipping the pads out and gently apply pressure on the lever. Can you remember doing anything to them before the service ? ie has it been standing all winter cheers spud ;)
Life... it's not a dress rehearsal

You don't waste time... you waste yourself
zimtim

Post by zimtim »

Thanks I only got the bike end of Feb it must of been kept out side but and not run, but prior to me buying the bike it was given full service and new pads fitted. When I took caliper of on Sunday noticed there was some corrosion so gave everything I could a good clean and got it all lubricated and moving well. I have yet to take for test ride but before I do I wanted to make sure I had covered all possibilities.
Thanks
Redmurty

Post by Redmurty »

In that case are they the right pads ? cheers Spud ;)
Life... it's not a dress rehearsal

You don't waste time... you waste yourself
Orlando_Orange

Post by Orlando_Orange »

sounds like the caliper may need a rebuild....
Chris

G650 X-Challenge

'91 XTZ750
Barnman

Post by Barnman »

just a thought - It sounds like the pads are not releasing properly (calliper pistons sticking?) and then when you go for a ride, the friction on the disk causes it to heat up, expand and lock tight against the pads?

Return to “TECHNICAL”