Tyres K60 and Mitas?

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
Tramp

Tyres K60 and Mitas?

Post by Tramp »

Right guys,
yes times are hard and everyhting but whats with the tyre manufacturers putting up the prices to silly heights.

My old K60 where £70 last year now they are £94+ what with fitting and tubes thats expensive, Now found the Mitas in E09 for my size 140/80/17 and at £60 they are well cheap.

But is cheap like cheap coss they are crap:whistle: I use the bike 50 road and 50 offroad both motorway commute and green lanes with a Ta650.

Am I better paying the extra or trying the Mitas, has thought about the new E10 but its a 150 profile to wide for me. The E09 is similar to the Tkc but they just dont last , and I need a chunky tyre for winter roads etc...

Yes I`m one of those rare all year round guys come sun or snow I`m out their just Ice stops me.. I leave the skating to Torville and Dean:woohoo: :woohoo:
Lancastermick

Re: Tyres K60 and Mitas?

Post by Lancastermick »

Looking forward to the result of this thread. I'm in exactly the same predicament. I came across this site, but haven't looked into it any further yet regarding the quality of the tyre.

http://www.zenoverland.com/tyres_tubes/ ... lorer.html
"Man needs difficulties, they are necessary for health." - Carl Jung
OB1

Post by OB1 »

I work for Maxxis tyres. :whistle:

All manufacturers are in the process of raising their prices because of the "oil crisis". Thing is, its not just tyre companies, all companies that produce things made from oil and petroleum products.
A • AND • B • CDN • CH • CN • CY • CYM • CZ • D • DK • E • EST • ET • F • FIN • GR • HK • HR • I • IL • IRL • L • LT • LV • M • N • N-IRL • NL • P • PL • Q • RSM • S • SCO • SCV • SLO • TR • USA • YU
justrtw.com
Peejay

Post by Peejay »

I'm using a Mitas CO2 on the rear of my DRz, find it good on/off road.
Havn't done many miles as its just for laning, but my mate, has same on his and he does a lot of miles.
Wear seems ok, on both his and mine, especially at the price.
BMW R1200 GS Adventure

KTM 990 R Adventure

Wheresoever you go. Go with all your heart.
Tramp

Post by Tramp »

Hi Mick ,
those zenoverland tyres are made by Heidenau and similar to the k60`s which are brilliant, but they only do them in 18" shame as most bikes use 17" rears.

The trouble as i see it is the mitas are hard tyres to start with so in winter will get even harder, which means my ass is along the road:evil: :evil: , the k60`s are good at cold temps so maybe I`ll have to payout for them:ohmy: .

let the ball roll...
Lancastermick

Post by Lancastermick »

OB1 wrote:I work for Maxxis tyres. :whistle:
No GS tyres Obi?
Alphadog43

Post by Alphadog43 »

OB1 wrote:I work for Maxxis tyres. :whistle:

All manufacturers are in the process of raising their prices because of the "oil crisis". Thing is, its not just tyre companies, all companies that produce things made from oil and petroleum products.
I had wondered why tyres have gone up a lot over the last few months, I suppose VAT at 20% dosent help either :(
minkyhead

Post by minkyhead »

im in a bit of a quandry here too

im off to moroco in three weeks and have to change out
i was out with will at the weekend andhe is on the same bike as me
he is well in to his 2nd tkc and it has less tread left than my first scout

at 4500 miles
so the tk just isnt going to do the journey [4500 miles ]and frustratingly have one brand new in the garage
ive run mitas on me xr 250 and they could only be described as interesting on the road
theres some good reports on the e09 dakar giving good service and decent road grip but your back up to 100 quid

just check out the above link as the k60 and k60 scout are different tyres and prices the scout is fairly new out and has replaced the k60 in 140 section
you will see the 130s listed as k60s at 64 quid and the 140s listed as scout at 94

im going scout rear again as on the rocky trails mine has been real good and should suit my journey with bags of tread to spare

http://ssl.delti.com/cgi-bin/rshop.pl?d ... 1110&m_s=1

this is the newer scout version with a centre wear band if that helps you compare

By minkyhead at 2010-12-15

3000 miles next to a new tk

By minkyhead at 2011-03-02

4200 miles ..now
By minkyhead at 2011-03-31
whats the wether forcast ..wheres me map
scrambled eggs

Post by scrambled eggs »

Just fitted mitas to me new 690 and only done 120miles last sat morning with a mix dual sport found that both CO2 rear and C19 front performed well on and off road with reports of some people getting in excess of 2000+ miles would be well pleased if that was so , will report back in 2 years lol
Lancastermick

Post by Lancastermick »

I was looking into this a bit today Minky and their seemed to be a consensus that the K60 (non scout) had poorer grip in the wet. I am kinda weighing-up a TK front and Scout rear after checking out your setup. ;)

Can you not throw the Tk on the back of the bike and run the Scout into the ground on the way down to Morocco?

Return to “TECHNICAL”