MOT pass/fail?

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
chrisuk

Re: MOT pass/fail?

Post by chrisuk »

Lofty wrote:I agree it could be fixed and doesn't need a new fork leg. The point is have the tyre shop left me with a unroadworthy bike while they quibble with the dealer?
Very unroadworthy. Very dangerous. Don't ride it until fixed, either with a new stud, if you can unscrew the old one, or a new fork, if you can't. If stuck in the the 3rd world somewhere, I'd drill it, but as the 1st world tyre monkey broke it, then said chimp should fix it.
jaz1259

Post by jaz1259 »

I did exactly the same thing being hand fisted on my old xt 600. I found when I removed all the other nuts and took the plate off there was about 1cm of stud showing so gripped it with mole grips and so wd40 and it came pretty easy. I then chopped the head off a 10mm bolt and used that as the replacement stud good as new
Rhys

Post by Rhys »

Lofty wrote:The stud isn't visible so would need drilling. As I said it isn't my fault and I don't want to accept anything less than a perfect job. If I had snapped it then it would be a different story!
Well in that case I would be demanding a replacement genuine part. Why settle for any less its not your fault.
Orlando_Orange

Post by Orlando_Orange »

what rhys said...
Chris

G650 X-Challenge

'91 XTZ750
JumboSi

MOT pass/fail?

Post by JumboSi »

What a position to be in because of someone else's incompetence. but, an interesting issue. There are 2 ways forward IMHO. To let them sort it out between them, could take a while; press the issue yourself. If the delay was going to be long and I could afford it, I would check with another dealer and, maybe, a good independent bike mechanic. If they agreed with the need to replace the fork, I'd get it repaired myself. Photo's from start to finish and make a note in my diary of all conversations I had with the tyre fitters. I would then send them a demand for payment giving 10 working days under threat of small claims action. If they didn't pay, I'd issue the action - a very easy process and an undefendable case from their point of view.
The other thing I would do is check with your insurers or see if you have any legal cover with, say, your house insurance as, if they could be dragged into it, they would not sleep until they had the cash out of the dealer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free
What goes up........
Richard Simpson

Post by Richard Simpson »

Sounds like a proper song and dance routine to me.

Axle out, and carefully do the other bolt up. This should expose enough of the broken one to either get a mole grip or stud extractor on or to be able to accurately measure the centre of the stud and drill to put one of those left-hand thread extractor things in.

BTW I'd never let a tyre shop put my wheels back in: they probably don't know how to centre the wheel in the fork.

You could be waiting for weeks for a new fork leg to arrive and be fitted, and there's no guarantee that even the dealer can do the job properly.
peterekins

Post by peterekins »

Find a local engineering machine shop, its an easy fix with the right kit, but unlikely a bike dealer will have it. Drill smaller hole, poss 4mm then use a stud extractor, easy peasy.
bull

Post by bull »

how the fu*k did they snap that bolt, over tighting bolts again,

well. heres my two cent, they broke it and it was up to them to get it fixed, so it is,

now, if the tire shop said go to honda, and honda wont fix it, but will give you a new part for £400, then take the new part and tell honda to send the £400 bill to the tire shop, problem solved.

and dont be fu*king around
Richard Simpson

Post by Richard Simpson »

I'd pay someone £50 to remove the bolt, and stick £350 in the bank.

Happy days! B)
AndyB

Post by AndyB »

Richard Simpson wrote:I'd pay someone £50 to remove the bolt, and stick £350 in the bank.

Happy days! B)
I wouldn't even pay someone £50 to do it, I'd spend some of my ill-gotten gains on a set of left hand drills and whip it out in about 15 minutes.

Return to “TECHNICAL”