Drive chain problem help please

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
Banzai

Post by Banzai »

On checking the chain on my Ten I found a few of the O rings gone or hanging out broken.
Done 6K kept clean and lubed (Tutoro) adjusted and a KTM chain guide fitted sprockets in very good condition. Any idea what could cause this. Would you recommend a new C&S kit?
Attachments
chain.jpg
chain.jpg (135.55 KiB) Viewed 2554 times
Mike101

Re: Drive chain problem help please

Post by Mike101 »

The only things that could have casued that are either a bad chain....where did you get it..don't say ebay please?

Or not enough lube and too much heat/friction.

Or damage from a cleaning product..what do you use?

Mike
And the beast shall be huge and black, and the eyes thereof red with the blood of living creatures, and the whore of Babylon shall ride forth on a three-headed serpent, and throughout the lands, there'll be a great rubbing of parts
Banzai

Post by Banzai »

Mike101 wrote:The only things that could have casued that are either a bad chain....where did you get it..don't say ebay please?

Or not enough lube and too much heat/friction.

Or damage from a cleaning product..what do you use?

Mike
Hi Mike, It's the standard chain that came with bike from new, always well lubed, I clean it with gear oil let it soak into any grime then wipe off. Did give the bike a good hammering last weekend off road maybe the chain didn't like it :(
minkyhead

Post by minkyhead »

ill guess thats its a regina chain ..if so dont worry its a crap chain .. :(

i like ek mvxs chain ..its pretty tough

suppier below

https://www.bctmotorcycles.co.uk/index.jsp
whats the wether forcast ..wheres me map
chairhead64

Post by chairhead64 »

Banzai wrote:On checking the chain on my Ten I found a few of the O rings gone, Any idea what could cause this. Would you recommend a new C&S kit?
If its only on a couple of "o rings"I wouldn't worry too much,as we all know they are there to seal in lubricant,they also make the drive of the chain a tad quieter,just keep it well lubed,how worn are the sprockets btw?,id also use a spray lube unless you already do
picos mestizo

Post by picos mestizo »

chairhead64 wrote:
Banzai wrote:On checking the chain on my Ten I found a few of the O rings gone, Any idea what could cause this. Would you recommend a new C&S kit?
If its only on a couple of "o rings"I wouldn't worry too much,as we all know they are there to seal in lubricant,they also make the drive of the chain a tad quieter,just keep it well lubed,how worn are the sprockets btw?,id also use a spray lube unless you already do
I'd second this. Keep it lubed & run it.
Lightness is everything.

Lightness with Grunt is a Scratcher!

An Adventure is not a tank transfer.
mancunian

Post by mancunian »

I once had this happen after fitting the gearbox sprocket back to front, unlikely you have done this but may be worth checking back wheel alignment as being out would cause a similar problem, chain tensioners/wheel spacers etc!
xtzrick

Post by xtzrick »

Isn't your bike a few years old Banzai ?

If it is the standard C&S then the rubber could have become brittle with age, no garrantee the chain was kept lubed before you got it.

As others have said, run it 'til you need new sprockets.

Nice to see you enjoying it ;)

Rick
AustinW

Post by AustinW »

This happened to my XTR a few months ago. Where the O rings were damaged was also where the links were stiff or frozen. Wthin a few hundred miles the chain was a right mess of frozen links, missing O rings, and tight spots so bad that even backed right off I couldn't get the chain slack enough - the frozen links put loads of little kinks in the chain that took up the slack. Similar mileage to you as well.

New C&S is the only cure.

Sent from my iPhone with a smile :)
Richard Simpson

Post by Richard Simpson »

Whatever you use as chain lube may be rotting the links.

Why is the chain all black?

Has it been run too tight and overheated?

Return to “TECHNICAL”