660 tenere tyre choice

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
Barcelona Pat

Re: 660 tenere tyre choice

Post by Barcelona Pat »

I have a Yam centre stand, and it works fine. A bit more of a yank to pull it up witht he bike lowered, but that only get's tricky when fully loaded. Still doable though - and I'm hardly a powerful guy!

I've raised Idris back up to standard height again - after so many miles on the road I just got used to a taller bike, and now find it fine. Of course, the side stand also now fits again. My advice is to live with it a while before cutting any metal off, and see how you get on.
Mike101

Post by Mike101 »

Not seen those before.

The issue with a Tenere is the height of the bloody thing.

I am 6ft and when i stop at lights i can get a foot down...but the bike has to lean a bit.

This means that my backside never ever really leaves the seat. So anything ontop of the seat is sort of pulled over the side where my leg is.

The airhawk was terrible for this. Stop...foot down and the airhawk is pulled off the side...leg back up and the airhawk does not return...so it's a stand up and a quick fiddle then ok. Oh and it was strapped on as tight as it could go. The issue with the airhawk is that while to outer cover is tight and in palce the plastic inner moves around...alot.

I am hoping that the sheepskin is bigger...heavier and more likely to stick in place.

I know i've been going on and on about this but i just want tog et it sorted....i love the bike and enjoy riding it so i want to keep it.

Mike
And the beast shall be huge and black, and the eyes thereof red with the blood of living creatures, and the whore of Babylon shall ride forth on a three-headed serpent, and throughout the lands, there'll be a great rubbing of parts
APD_660Ten

Post by APD_660Ten »

Hi

Back on the tyres...:lol:

Running e09's front and back and found them to be a great compromise. So far looking good over 1000 miles in... Better than my mates TKC's 300 miles in.

Was out with a chap this weekend on Heidi's and he did ok on them... But they don't like the sight of mud. Looked like a better road tyre than the e09 but to be honest, I haven't found anything I'm unhappy with on the e09. I guess if you have a big commute then anything off road biased will likely ware out quicker than something like the Heidi or Tourance. But, at the price of the e09's you can afford for then to ware out. You'll just need to change them your self to keep costs down.

I have a spare set of tourance if you want to make me an offer. Got about 1500 mile use on them. I can't see me putting them back on. Cheap option to tide you over while you decide :)
Mike101

Post by Mike101 »

I love the lowering kit and with a full tank of fuel i can get both feet flat on the ground....wonderful.

But on the sidestand she looks so tall....like a gust of wind would blow her over.

Mike
And the beast shall be huge and black, and the eyes thereof red with the blood of living creatures, and the whore of Babylon shall ride forth on a three-headed serpent, and throughout the lands, there'll be a great rubbing of parts
Tonibe63

Post by Tonibe63 »

Mike101 wrote:Planning ahead i'm looking what to change my tyres for.

I have the standard tourance's fitted and got about 2k left on them. They will get me through the summer fine but when it's time to change i think a more road based tyre would suit as i will be riding the thing (arse permitting) all year no matter what the weather.

So what do we suggest?

Mike
More Tourances.
Why restrict the use of the bike by fitting pure road tyres?
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.
OB1

Post by OB1 »

Tramp wrote:They are road biased tyres..if you think other wise..I use these for commuting and play all year round..

mitas C-02 rear

mitas army special front

or maxxis M6001..

you supposedly bought a adventure bike not a road bike ;)

Ive ridden all over europe on the above rain and shine..
The Maxxis reference is either M6017 Traxer or C6006 Dual Sport Trail: both are available in 90/90-21 and 130/80-17 for the XT 600 Z Ténéré.

A friend of mine has the Traxers on his Ténéré and loves them in all weathers.
A • AND • B • CDN • CH • CN • CY • CYM • CZ • D • DK • E • EST • ET • F • FIN • GR • HK • HR • I • IL • IRL • L • LT • LV • M • N • N-IRL • NL • P • PL • Q • RSM • S • SCO • SCV • SLO • TR • USA • YU
justrtw.com
Redmurty

Post by Redmurty »

I love the Anakees too, but I am looking at putting K60's on for the trip to the HISS. The anakees should handle some gravel and the trip down, but the K60's should handle the gravel better and do ok on the road. I was hoping the Anakees 3 was going to be better. Then there would not of been much of a choice.

Cheers Spud ;)
Life... it's not a dress rehearsal

You don't waste time... you waste yourself
Banzai

Post by Banzai »

APD_660Ten wrote:Hi

Back on the tyres...:lol:

Running e09's front and back and found them to be a great compromise. So far looking good over 1000 miles in... Better than my mates TKC's 300 miles in.

Was out with a chap this weekend on Heidi's and he did ok on them... But they don't like the sight of mud. Looked like a better road tyre than the e09 but to be honest, I haven't found anything I'm unhappy with on the e09. I guess if you have a big commute then anything off road biased will likely ware out quicker than something like the Heidi or Tourance. But, at the price of the e09's you can afford for then to ware out. You'll just need to change them your self to keep costs down.

I have a spare set of tourance if you want to make me an offer. Got about 1500 mile use on them. I can't see me putting them back on. Cheap option to tide you over while you decide :)
That'll be be, The scouts are an excellent road tyre wet or dry. Off road the front is great on dry gravel,rocks etc. Wet grass,mud I just touched the front brake on some and ended up lying in a hedge (thanks Andy for pulling me out)will keep the scout rear and try something else on the front. Mileage 3k, front hardly worn rear down to 5mm most of this has been fully loaded up with camping gear.
Mr Free Market

Post by Mr Free Market »

I've been running TKCs on my Tenere & have been delighted with them. The front still has plenty of life, but the rear is starting to look a little the worse for wear. Next up will be a set of Mefo Sport Explorers (MFE99)

http://www.zenoverland.com/tyres_tubes/ ... lorer.html
Over a long enough timeline, everyones survival rate drops to zero
Tramp

Post by Tramp »

Nope..I deffinately ment M6001...

http://www.maxxis.com/MotorcycleATV/Off ... rrain.aspx

OB1 wrote:
Tramp wrote:They are road biased tyres..if you think other wise..I use these for commuting and play all year round..

mitas C-02 rear

mitas army special front

or maxxis M6001..

you supposedly bought a adventure bike not a road bike ;)

Ive ridden all over europe on the above rain and shine..
The Maxxis reference is either M6017 Traxer or C6006 Dual Sport Trail: both are available in 90/90-21 and 130/80-17 for the XT 600 Z Ténéré.

A friend of mine has the Traxers on his Ténéré and loves them in all weathers.

Return to “TECHNICAL”