F 650 GS. 10.8v at tickover??

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
Shunt

Post by Shunt »

Rectifier dead do we reckon?

If i turn everything on, Heated grips, main beam, indicators and brake lights. It creeps to 11.8-12v.

Battery was new in febuary, A Dynavolt one, aka A cheapy :blush: .

Help please :laugh:
badsanta

Re: F 650 GS. 10.8v at tickover??

Post by badsanta »

What happens if you spin the engine to 3k revs or thereabouts? All info will be available here http://www.f650.co.uk/
special one

Post by special one »

Does sound like the reg/rec, get the specs for it and test it with a meter, if that checks out it could be the stator or whatever charging set up your bike has.

I had exactly same fault on my drz, turned out to be the stator as reg/rec checked out fine to the specs.
Current bikes...

2003 KTM 950 adventure in silvery blue...

2013 KTM 450 exc-f in orange /white

2007 Scorpa SY250 trials in blue.
Shunt

Post by Shunt »

Similar output. Or drops lower.
Looked on f650. But I struggle to find info in the FAQ. I find it information overload ;)
woodshack

Post by woodshack »

Try posting in the tech section, normally pretty good (we are talking about the F650.co.uk site?}
Habitual Bike Changer - seeks two wheeled romance and oppurtunities for adventure and getting dirty.
knobbly

Post by knobbly »

You can test the RR and the alternator but for go cheap and easy. Check the wiring and connections first. Connect the pos and neg from the RR directly to the battery and see what it's putting out then (they do a better job that way. Do a load test on the battery (fully charged) by putting your meter on the battery with the engine off then start the bike and see what the voltage drops to when starting the bike. As a very general rule if it over charges then it's the RR under charge it's the alternator but like I say that is a general rule.
There are several test for the alternator and the RR with a meter but try those first let us know the result.
knobbly

Post by knobbly »

Just read the post again. If you rev the engine like badsanta said and the voltage is dropping a bit then I would take a good look at the wiring first and connect the RR directly to the battery see what happens.
badsanta

Post by badsanta »

Sounds like reg. is on the way out. I have the manual and will check and post the values and procedures here later today http://www.electrosport.com/
Voltage across battery should be 13.8-14v. Check battery earth connection and all connections in the charging system first. You can find all information at the link above.
Shunt

Post by Shunt »

All the connections are good, clean and dry. Reminds me to grease the connections. ;)

I'm just waiting in a new battery and reg. I'm guessing/hoping its the reg as its a lot cheaper than a stator.

Cheers all
bull

Post by bull »

lets see if i understand this, if you turn everthing on the battery will drop to 11.8 volts, i am right about that. Well now i cant see anything wrong with that, with everthing on your are going to loose some volts in the battery with engine at idle, thats normal.

Return to “TECHNICAL”