DR 350 clutch slipping

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
oxfordmoto

DR 350 clutch slipping

Post by oxfordmoto »

took me dr out for spin today was running pretty sweet bloody cold mind. Still a little sooty on rear fender but goona sort jets in week performance over old carb is still very snappy. But hooking 5 and 6 clutch just letting go thinking maybe just heavy duty springs as this would be cheapest option. Anybody had simular problem solved with springs, complete set springs plates and friction about 80 quid...springs 13..
Thedktor

Re: DR 350 clutch slipping

Post by Thedktor »

Well its a quick fix, providing there is enough remaining material left on the plates. So worth a look first just to make sure they're not disintegrating.

Clutch will be heavier of course, and if it was me and I was keeping the bike I would change the plates... Up to you of course :)
- Steve

Southampton area

DR350, 349, DRZ, 701
oxfordmoto

Post by oxfordmoto »

probably right end of month maybe have to wait till may...you done anymore with leak jet ? was gonna order a 0.7 for jet as im thinking the 158 main might not be that far out really pulling at top end. Also thinking of putting a 45 sprocket on back got a 40 at mo but thought 45 might make it bit more lively.
Thedktor

Post by Thedktor »

Ah sorry didn't notice I hadn't updated - have a look here now:

http://www.adventurebikerider.com/forum ... tml#225787

Yeah adding 5t to the back will make a big difference! Mine is geared for about 6000rpm at 60 for trail use but for road you want about 6000rpm at 65, or even higher.

Its all quite personal, just try it and see.....
- Steve

Southampton area

DR350, 349, DRZ, 701
oxfordmoto

Post by oxfordmoto »

cool your doing all my r&d for me feel guilty was gonna try 0.7 after your last thread sounds perfect. Did you hand drill it ? just orded on ebay. Gonna stay with the 158 though for now. The clutch only slips in 5 and 6th which makes me think that its just labouring a touch, but if im honest like the idea of a very light front end...but maybe a tooth or too down..
Udders

Post by Udders »

This may sound a bit daft but check there's a bit of free play in your clutch lever. I had a similar problem on mine but when I mentioned it to Mike Bavin when he was doing my MOT on my DR350 he adjusted my cable back off a bit and hey presto! Sorted. Shame I'd already bought a new clutch and heavy duty springs. :pinch:
oxfordmoto

Post by oxfordmoto »

thanks but clutch backed right off ...although now you said that will lube cable and check action... think just bit extra torque and grip with road tyres making it let go..
Thedktor

Post by Thedktor »

Yes worth double-checking the cable as the bottom loop can collect water and corrode internally, though you would notice the clutch being very stiff.

Drilling the jets, yes a very delicate operation! Use a hand drill with no pressure, and work up in 2 or 3 steps. If you break a drill bit in the jet you are kinda stuffed :unsure:

I've got a lead on new jets as it seems you can get them through KTM dealers, but need to see what thread and external dimensions they are first...
- Steve

Southampton area

DR350, 349, DRZ, 701
oxfordmoto

Post by oxfordmoto »

Orded a couple of .7 mm drills will speak to guy where I got my jets from see if he can get any trouble is think it takes three weeks from states shame there is not a cheap source for boysen adjustable might put it on me birthday list although was hoping for a je 441 kit .. More jetting night mares better sort clutch first gonna try springs first povity beckons

Return to “TECHNICAL”