battery upgrade

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
AndyB

Re: battery upgrade

Post by AndyB »

davsato wrote:+1 for motobatt

they also have 4 terminal posts so wiring in accessories is a doddle
I didn't realise they had 4 posts, that's got to make them a favourite for the imminent replacement on my Tenere.
Tyrant68

Post by Tyrant68 »

Thanks guys, the Motobatt one looks good.
Just find it odd after an 80 mile ride then stood for 5 mins she refused to start then left for 4 days in the garage , fired straight up.
left for 11 hours, hassle again but fired on the button this morning :unsure:
A few weeks ago I had ridden through a lot of water, had my grips and lights on.
Came back through town after stopping for fuel and grips indicators etc worked, lights didnt.
Got home left for 5mins, lights worked! I put it down to all the moisture from the day.
"The trails of the world be countless, and most of the trails be tried.

You tread on the heels of many, till you come where the ways divide.

And one lies safe in the sunlight, and the other is dreary and wan, Yet you look aslant at the Lone Trail, and the Lone Trail lures you on....

....Bid good-bye to sweetheart, bid goodbye to friend, The Lone Trail, the Lone Trail, follow to the end.

Tarry not, and fear not, chosen of the true;

Lover of the Lone Trail, The Lone Trail waits for you"
knobbly

Post by knobbly »

Have you done a load test on that battery to see if it's actualy duff?
Phil

Post by Phil »

knobbly wrote:Have you done a load test on that battery to see if it's actualy duff?
that would of been my first port of call. If you battery is say 4 ish years old that it wont hurt to have a new one.

Also remember when trail riding batteries can take a bashing, and dont just mean the bike being dropped e.t.c An example would be a short while ago i was doing this steep trail on my Tenere, due to the weight of the bike, the ruts, the wet slippery ground and more importantly my shite riding skills...i was constantly stalling the bike. so it was start,stall,start,stall,start,stall...every 3 secs :blush: . battery doesnt like that :P
davsato

Post by davsato »

Tyrant68 wrote:Thanks guys, the Motobatt one looks good.
Just find it odd after an 80 mile ride then stood for 5 mins she refused to start then left for 4 days in the garage , fired straight up.
A few weeks ago I had ridden through a lot of water, had my grips and lights on.
Came back through town after stopping for fuel and grips indicators etc worked, lights didnt.
Got home left for 5mins, lights worked! I put it down to all the moisture from the day.
that sounds more like a water short to me, a drop getting into the loom somewhere, causing problems and then drying out. give the lot a good drowning in WD40
Dave
Tyrant68

Post by Tyrant68 »

knobbly wrote:Have you done a load test on that battery to see if it's actualy duff?
Not yet, have a meter need to find the instructions :laugh:

And one lies safe in the sunlight, and the other is dreary and wan, Yet you look aslant at the Lone Trail, and the Lone Trail lures you on....

....Bid good-bye to sweetheart, bid goodbye to friend, The Lone Trail, the Lone Trail, follow to the end.

Tyrant68

Post by Tyrant68 »

davsato wrote:
Tyrant68 wrote:Thanks guys, the Motobatt one looks good.
that sounds more like a water short to me, a drop getting into the loom somewhere, causing problems and then drying out. give the lot a good drowning in WD40
That was my first guess , she'll go through deep water no problem.
Take her to a jetspray and we have a 5mins hissyfit to keep running without backfiring or dying.
I need to take the mask off tomorrow so will look at lighting and heated grip wiring.
Cant see it being the starter as its not the clicking of a stuck one but a ZZZZZZZZZZZZ sound (best description!)

devon john

Post by devon john »

ODYSSEY BATTERYS have a great right up ,

i run a BIG twin Harley 1550cc high compression ect i have found that most battery's don't do the job but the Odyssey does :P

john
stoic

Post by stoic »

Hi Tyrant, Is the original battery a ytx5l? if so you can fit a YTZ7S. The battery dimensions are the same, the output is better 80cca in the original compared to 130cca from the 7 (cold cranking amps afaik) that's what i have upgraded my exc 450 to, now it's a all day happy bunny.

like this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-YUASA ... 27c20a4ee2

ciao
Tyrant68

Post by Tyrant68 »

Thanks Stoic will check tomorrow

Return to “TECHNICAL”