Fellow Farklers I need your Help

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
Chuffer

Fellow Farklers I need your Help

Post by Chuffer »

I'm having to make my own stuff for the Scrambler but I'm not sure which type of Ally to use. I've mocked up a sat nav holder to sit gps above clocks but I'm getting too much vibration with the soft ally I've got,so what type do I need.
Cheers
big al

Re: Fellow Farklers I need your Help

Post by big al »

Hi Chuffer, When I've made a bracket for my bike using ally I'll tend to use around 4-6mm in thickness, not sure what grade it is though but I have not noticed any vibrations
from this. It also depends what you are making, if you can add some bends in the ally then this will make it stronger and you can use a thinner grade.
Hope this helps.
Al
knobbly

Post by knobbly »

I made my own brackets for my sat nav out of ally but I used 4mm plate. Dont get any vibration at all. Not down to grade.

Only thing with bending thicker ally is you need to anneal it first.(check spelling if you like I cant be arsed) If you dont it will just crack and split. Anyone can do it, just need some heat and a match stick or soap.
Chuffer

Post by Chuffer »

Cheers fellows ,I've got to be careful on thickness prob can't go much more then 3 mm might have to consider using steel.
Phil

Post by Phil »

knobbly wrote:Only thing with bending thicker ally is you need to anneal it first.(check spelling if you like I cant be arsed) If you dont it will just crack and split. Anyone can do it, just need some heat and a match stick or soap.
Im going to make a plate for the back of my Tenere so i can carry roll bags. Going to copy the Touratech one but make it wider.

So when you say to anneal thicker ally, whats classes as "thicker"?? 4mm...5mm? was thinking of using 5mm. This might sound odd...but does it matter if you bend it slow or fast? :blush:
gsdman

Post by gsdman »

I have made quite a few brackets and such and find 3mm is a good option useable and strong enough for most applications.
I feel lost, So I have Bought a KTM 990 ADV to go look for myself.
suzivstrom650

Post by suzivstrom650 »

most allys dont bend well.Too prone to cracking.Its much better to machine them from a solid billit.If thats not an option then as mentioned before,try some heat and avoid sharp right angles if possible.
knobbly

Post by knobbly »

Phil wrote:
knobbly wrote:Only thing with bending thicker ally is you need to anneal it first.(check spelling if you like I cant be arsed) If you dont it will just crack and split. Anyone can do it, just need some heat and a match stick or soap.
Im going to make a plate for the back of my Tenere so i can carry roll bags. Going to copy the Touratech one but make it wider.

So when you say to anneal thicker ally, whats classes as "thicker"?? 4mm...5mm? was thinking of using 5mm. This might sound odd...but does it matter if you bend it slow or fast? :blush:
Well I work alot with ally of different grades and I find anything over 3mm is going to crack.
For what you want to do 3mm would be plenty. You could also use thinner plate, say 2mm just bend the edges by around 4-5mm. That would make it solid.
For example lets say you make a square with an extra 4-5mm on each edge, cut off the corners at 45 deg and then bend the edges so you get what looks like an upside down tray. Rock solid.

Slow or fast makes no difference at all.

Hope that makes sense :blink:

Return to “TECHNICAL”