XT660Z Tyres

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.

XT660Z Tyres

Post by Guest »

I'm needing new tyres, more road biased than offroad. Been having a look around and Dunlop Trailmax TR91's seem to get a good review; anyone tried these on the XTZ660?

Any info on other options also appreciated.
redbikejohn

Re: XT660Z Tyres

Post by redbikejohn »

i've been using these for the last 3000 miles. took a chance on them and so far so good.
nice and cheap at £105 for the pair (mail order over internet - germany).

Yamaha tenere 700
XT660Z written off from behind by car.

Check out www.redbikejohn.com for ride & race reports (enduro, H&H etc).
skorpion

Post by skorpion »

Hi Chief
I recently replaced the O/E Metzeler Tourance tyres on my Yamaha XT660Z Tenere with a pair of Pirelli Scorpion Trail tyres.
Pirelli describe the Scorpion Trail as a 'dual sport' tyre suited to 95% on-road and 5% off-road use.
My 'off-tarmacing' with the Tenere has been limited to gravel tracks in Norway back in 2010 and then, last year, crossing from Portugal to Spain along a rutted mountain pass.
In both instances shod with Metzelers.
On both trips the Metzelers performed faultlessly, although they were prone to too much 'rumble' on smooth roads.
If most of your riding is to be on-road then I'd recommend the Pirellis: I have to say that the Tenere feels FAR smoother on them than it ever did with the Metzelers - especially at motorway speeds - and turn-in to corners feels more positive.
White line lane markings barely register either.
I can't vouch for their off-road ability, nor can I comment on tyre wear rates as the tyres are only about three months old (700miles, or so, since fitted), but they cope well with my (extremely demanding!!!) gravel driveway and the very wet roads too.
I'll be putting the newly-shod Tenere through its paces on a ten-day trip to Geiranger in Norway towards the end of September.
It's not the cheapest brand or tyre, but what price do you put on safety when those two small contact patches, front and rear, are all that keep you safely on the road?
Good luck with your search.
SPEN

Post by SPEN »

Running conti attacks on my XT but i must say great grip but they aren"t gonna last ,i think the Tourance are perfect ,great grip and wear and you can buff the pegs B)

Return to “TECHNICAL”