Slime (puncture protection)

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
Mike54

Re: Slime (puncture protection)

Post by Mike54 »

TT, have you any advice about its use at speed? ie is there a speed you wouldn't exceed with it in on a heavy bike?
Treadtrader

Post by Treadtrader »

Mike54 wrote:TT, have you any advice about its use at speed? ie is there a speed you wouldn't exceed with it in on a heavy bike?
If it's clearly marked for high speed use it should'nt cause any problems.
Tractor stuff is for tractors not bikes.
Most important is follow instructions for use, not too much or too little.

If I was touring with tube type tyres I would'nt use it, carry spare tubes instead.
Just my opinion.
Contact email [email protected] or pm.
Mike54

Post by Mike54 »

Presumably you wouldn't use it because you can changes tubes quickly? Or some other reason?
norris

Slime (puncture protection)

Post by norris »

Which brand is the best to use? I recently purchased a tube of slime to put into my tubes, but when reading the instructions it said that the maximum speed limit once inserted is 65mph.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?agfraa
Barcelona Pat

Post by Barcelona Pat »

Treadtrader wrote: It can be very effective, but almost impossible to repair a tube once covered in the gloop.
A spare tube is essential in case.
Ain´t that the truth! I faffed around for almost 2 hours on a front wheel flat before giving up and swapping out the tube. It might wash off easily enough - but you don´t always have access to sufficient water to do that. In fairness it was a pretty big hole in the tube. Still running the rear with it in - on its second tyre too - seems to be holding up well.
minkyhead

Post by minkyhead »

i think its worth putting in ....
its not going to stop major punctures but in my expieriance its worked really well on those pesky thorns and small punctures

how do i know ...
well ..the tube comes out when i change out the tyres and the puncture then reactivates after deflating the tube and its easy to spot as the green shite stars seeping out when i inflate te tube to check it B) ...
i have had no trouble whatsoever patching a tube with slime in ive done it five or six times no problem obviosly its dry in the garage but hey im in the garage :lol:
i think its really very good its kept my tyres up at least five times

i have used it in morroco after a front puncture and ride home on it without further loss of air ..so as a standby its worth a go ...now i just stuff it in
i think its the tubless tyres that cause a problem with it but even running tubless tyres you beed a spare tube cos if it comes off the rim you are proper stuffed
heres what i found when i changed out the tyre a couple of monthsa ago i had no idea it was punctured i had two in the rear both very close together and another in the front ??? :( so thats two knee in the mud sessions avoided ...for a tenner its worth it ..i keep patching the tube and leaving the slime in so it works pretty well long term too
this it a patch over a slime sealed tube ....
By minkyhead at 2011-10-05
By minkyhead at 2011-10-05
whats the wether forcast ..wheres me map
knobbly

Post by knobbly »

Check the bottle with this stuff! Chatting to a mate who has a tyre shop about these slimey products and he said some of them will rot the inside of your wheel and you wont know it till you change the tyre.
Cant remember if it only rots mag wheels or ali but he did show me a wheel that was rotting from it.
Not all of them do it but he reckons it's just better to carry a repair kit or just carry one that will get you to a shop. But hey, he does own a tyre shop himself.
minkyhead

Post by minkyhead »

maby long term in a tubless tyre long term cant comment on that ...??
but i dont think its a issue contained in a tube
i guess it may cause balence problems on the bigger faster bikes but i get a nose bleed at 80 and ive never noticed any difference

for the record i use slime not gloop but honestly i just wipe it off dry it out abit of wire wool halfords rubber solution works great
it appears to be water based so cleaning it off and putting patches on has been really very easy ??
whats the wether forcast ..wheres me map
Gavinskii

Post by Gavinskii »

I'm a convert to this stuff.

A year or 2 back I was out on a long days trail riding in Autumn time. A guy in our group pulled over and bibbed his horn just as it was getting dusk (all the riders were cold, tired and looking forward to getting back home)we all dutifully gathered around and this guy just lay his KTM down spun the wheel around whilst observing with a torch for problems......and there it was - a four inch nail hanging out of his back wheel :S
All the guys are supportive and go to get tools etc, but are also looking pi55ed off, coz they want to get home. Anyway the lad in question grabs a set of pliers out of his tool wrap, pulls out the nail, spins the wheel about a couple of times before getting out his CO2 pump. 2 mins later he is fully inflated and we ride the next 20+ miles back with no probs.

The product he used was http://www.joes-no-flats.com/
He is also an avid mountain biker so knows what works for him.

I casually comment, "so I guess you will change the tube out when you get home?" to which he advises that he will keep running it until his tyre is shagged out :blink:

No bull this stuff works B)
R1150GS

Montesa 4Ride

KLX 250

Suzuki Beamish

2011 Nature Rally - Bronze Award
Gavinskii

Post by Gavinskii »

In fact check out the video :woohoo:
R1150GS

Montesa 4Ride