Motorcycle insurance for new riders

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
IntruderWithin

Motorcycle insurance for new riders

Post by IntruderWithin »

Wow been busy today looking at insurance quotes for my son who is 18 few weeks time. I bought a 125cc for him today and the insurance is that high that we will just have to save a little more. It is such a shame that the young ones can not get on the property ladder but even getting on the vehicle ladder is now difficult .

Anyone recommend a company or shall I just put the insurance in my name and add him to the policy (still expensive but better than trying to get a policy just for him). :whistle: :whistle:
At times of peace, plan for war.
AckAckFlack

Re: Motorcycle insurance for new riders

Post by AckAckFlack »

Hi i agree that it's a shame about the price of I insurance and just how much a minefield it is.
Having just reinsured 3 cars I ended up getting individual policies as the multicar ones were more expensive.

Bike wise I have tented to use the MCN ( motorcycle news ) site to compare prices along with comparethemarket site. By playing around with the excess and adding other people it is amazing just how much you can save. Eg we have a car my daughter uses. I put my wife on as an extra driver and it reduced the policy by 20% !!!! My wife is a 49 year old teacher - she has a licence but NEVER drives!

You may find certain companies favour a certain rider and by adding yourself it reduces it.

Anti theft devices will help to reduce the premium too. Ground anchors seem to be a favourite.

Other than that it's a case of hunting around
BBRR - Big Bike Rough Road Riders Group

It's all about how big it is and how Rough you use it :-)

The journey aimed to challenge the perception of blindness…

Usually People call me Sir... closely followed by 'You are making a scene!'
leo-david

Post by leo-david »

Hi its a real shame young riders/drivers have to pay so much insurance has become a minefield.
I don't think you can do the insurance in your name with him as a named driver if he is the main rider of the bike, the insurance companies call it fronting and I remember watching one of those police programes where a young driver got stopped and got fined for it (I may be wrong?)
It may be better for him to bite the bullet and pay the premium and let him build his own no claims bonus.
As Ackackfack said there are things you can do to bring down the premium. I used compair the market and confused.com to shop around this year it halved my premium.
Good luck.
Will

Post by Will »

Hi we insured my son on 125 when he was 17 for about £225ish with bikewise but they were really expensive for bigger bike , he now has 600 fazer and that was £430 don't ask me how i no :whistle: when he is back will find out what company B)
Bsa A10
phillh

Post by phillh »

I agree with ackackflack. Show yourself as a named rider, keep bike in garage with ground anchor + locks, go for a high excess and shop around. Sometimes an insurance broker can work out cheaper (Adrian Flux comes to mind although I dont know if they do bike insurance) as they know which companies will cover younger riders.

And when you do get him insured, take him out and teach him how to ride safely so he doesnt get hurt and doesnt have to claim on his insurance.
Bonniebird

Post by Bonniebird »

My son is 17 and riding a 125cc on L plates, when he had his 50cc I found Rampdale the cheapest, but with his 125cc Carole Nash were only £20 more and they include UK and Euro breakdown and recovery as well.
So for a whopping £386 he gets 3rd party only cover!!!! :dry:
Will

Post by Will »

phillh wrote:I agree with ackackflack. Show yourself as a named rider, keep bike in garage with ground anchor + locks, go for a high excess and shop around. Sometimes an insurance broker can work out cheaper (Adrian Flux comes to mind although I dont know if they do bike insurance) as they know which companies will cover younger riders.

And when you do get him insured, take him out and teach him how to ride safely so he doesnt get hurt and doesnt have to claim on his insurance.
Bikewise is Adrian Flux for bikes , i don't think you will be able to put yourself on his insurance , the ones i tried you couldn't anyway
Bsa A10

Return to “TECHNICAL”