12V power point

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
peterekins

12V power point

Post by peterekins »

Fitted power point for sat nav etc, does anyone know, can I wire into any live circuit, don't want to just conect to battery want it off with ignition, was thinking of wiring into horn circuit on the live side of the switch with a seperate in line fuse,in the head light bowl. any thoughts.
flipflopdog

Re: 12V power point

Post by flipflopdog »

There are plenty of threads on here how to do it ok, very simple indeed........ :whistle: :whistle:

Ok, decided to edit post and lend you a hand... Basically find a live wire with the ignition in the on position and use this to switch a 12volt relay. Come from your battery ( I know you said that this wasn’t what you wanted but it’s the best way) via an inline fuse, say 20 amp, run this through the relay contacts (Normally open contacts, ie; open circuit with power off) to your power outlet socket, remembering your relay and power socket requires earthing (Negative grounding). Simples......!!! Job done me old tatter...!!
bluey

Post by bluey »

wire live upto brake light that way it will only be live with ignition on allwaysdo mine like that never had any probs
dazedproductions

12V power point

Post by dazedproductions »

What bike and what do you want to run? Some bikes have spare ways on the fuse box, so that is a better way to go than inline sockets. Relays are good for high loads, for just a GPS it's not necessary. I don't run any high load accessories (and my accessory sockets are generic, so i cant plug anything in) so I have 3amp fuses on the box. If you are piggy backing off other circuits, consider what circuits are most vital
flipflopdog

Post by flipflopdog »

bluey wrote:wire live upto brake light that way it will only be live with ignition on allwaysdo mine like that never had any probs
Yes if you use a relay, DO NOT run your power outlet socket direct via this tail light/brake light wire though. This wire is a commonly used wire and tbh an easy option to use. If you are going to have more electrical gadgets on the bike you could feed a multi-way fuse holder the same way using a 30amp inline fuse holder and then individually feed said gadgets using whatever suitably rated fuses are appropriate. Its always best to use a relay just remember that....
special one

Post by special one »

flipflopdog wrote:There are plenty of threads on here how to do it ok, very simple indeed........ :whistle: :whistle:

Ok, decided to edit post and lend you a hand... Basically find a live wire with the ignition in the on position and use this to switch a 12volt relay. Come from your battery ( I know you said that this wasn’t what you wanted but it’s the best way) via an inline fuse, say 20 amp, run this through the relay contacts (Normally open contacts, ie; open circuit with power off) to your power outlet socket, remembering your relay and power socket requires earthing (Negative grounding). Simples......!!! Job done me old tatter...!!
As above, ive done mine this way on two bikes now, its the safest and most professional way imo.
Current bikes...

2003 KTM 950 adventure in silvery blue...

2013 KTM 450 exc-f in orange /white

2007 Scorpa SY250 trials in blue.
canazei1200

Post by canazei1200 »

Had a power socket on my last 4 bikes a triumph 2 gs and a k75 always direct to battery with an inline fuse.never had a problem

1990 k75s ( first brick)
NOT AS FAST ON A BIKE AS I THINK I AM
special one

Post by special one »

canazei1200 wrote:Had a power socket on my last 4 bikes a triumph 2 gs and a k75 always direct to battery with an inline fuse.never had a problem

1990 k75s ( first brick)
It's ok doing it this way but it's live all the time, as long as you don't forget you're charging something and leave it plugged in all night then it won't be a problem.

Personally, I've got both on my sprint, the factory one is live all the time, I've added a ignition only one too.
Current bikes...

2003 KTM 950 adventure in silvery blue...

2013 KTM 450 exc-f in orange /white

2007 Scorpa SY250 trials in blue.
peterekins

Post by peterekins »

Ok thanks all, got it now, relay is best but not always necassary, its just for sat nav, maybe phone charger.
peterekins

Post by peterekins »

Fitted and working, thanks for all advice.. :cheer:

Return to “TECHNICAL”