E10 Fuels

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
catcitrus

Re: E10 Fuels

Post by catcitrus »

I think E5 has been just about tolerable on old fuel systems, but E10 is a step too far--as has been recognised by official warnings--even to labels on E10 pumps, and a commitment to still make E5 available. There is a body of scientific evidence that shows the corrosive abilities of E10 fuel when left standing for long periods--the Americans have developed "winterising" additives such as Seafoam (available in the UK now)--and that stuff works well when injected neat into carbs that have been left standing(my American friend in Colorado -and he lives above 5k ft -- recommended it and he is the local go to person to sort out engines that have been left over winter with fuel in the system) --it loosens up the jet blocking deposits. I agree that fuel injection gets over the problem simply by not having a quantity of fuel sitting there in a float bowl. I have had to scrap a set of carbs on a 600 Honda 4 cylinder simply because all the ultrasonic cleaning and soaking would not clear the blocked pilot passages --not left standing by me I might add , but purchased with an idle problem --some fuel passages are inaccessible for any probing. The problem was solved by purchasing a complete set of secondhand carbs.
All of the above is really brought into focus when you start to look at why E10, and even E85, were introduced many years ago in the US--my point has always been that the improvement in environmental impact over straight petrol is marginal to say the least. If it was really worth it for sound environmental reasons then I would go along with it and take suitable precautions when running older vehicles.
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

My friend had an identical problem with an immaculate-looking early Fire Blade. Again, a 'new' set of used carbs was the only cure.
steve the grease

Post by steve the grease »

Hey, I'm no chemist, but everyone can observe that beer or wine left out ( so exposed to the air/ oxygen) will eventually deteriorate into malt or wine vinegar. The same process will occur with the ethanol part of petrol. Ethanol/Alcohol burns - vinegar doesn't burn and like most acids is corrosive. You will get away with it in modern, largely plastic fuel injection systems, but older bikes and stuff like mowers and chainsaws, by nature of their design are going to have problems.
catcitrus

Post by catcitrus »

I see JCB are moving at a pace to convert their heavy machinery to BURNING hydrogen --basically a diesel bottom end and a spark ignited top end with injected hydrogen--simple really--the way to go--forget complex electronics(precious metals mined and refined), fuel cells (precious metals again),and environmentally damaging (production thereof) electric cars with limited range (lithium mining and refining), and no real infrastructure yet despite years of use (and that battery system is of no use on backhoes etc as it simply can't store enough energy for even half a days work on a building site.)
https://uk.yahoo.com/news/jcb-signs-mul ... 11410.html
Last edited by catcitrus on Sun Oct 31, 2021 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cornishman

Post by Cornishman »

JCB’s position has been known for a while.
catcitrus

Post by catcitrus »

Whats your point?--that vid has been posted before --my point is that the announcement of a multi million pound contract on hydrogen supply is a significant advance--simply things are moving as I said. --do you agree with the direction?
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

I'm going to JCB soon to see the hydrogen engine etc.

Interesting times. Not sure of the economics/environmental benefit of shipping (mined?) hydrogen from Australia, but interested to hear more.
The fuel cells on the Wrights hydrogen buses are actually range extenders, they don't produce enough juice for the maximum power requirement of the bus, but can top the battery up when the bus's power requirement exceeds that of the fuel cell.
Cornishman

Post by Cornishman »

catcitrus wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 5:44 pm Whats your point?--that vid has been posted before --my point is that the announcement of a multi million pound contract on hydrogen supply is a significant advance--simply things are moving as I said. --do you agree with the direction?
No point. Touchy?
gazxt1200z

Post by gazxt1200z »

I went to have a go on a demo of the new yamaha tracer 900,really liked it because unlike the old tracer the new one was really torquey grunt at any revs like a baby mt10,so i bought one,as i was running it in and not revving it i did not realise my bike was nothing like the demo until they gave me it back when mine was being serviced,as i had just got off mine,the difference was massive they were like two different bikes,mine felt like a 600,i had been running mine on e10,so i asked the owner of the shop about the demo,he said they don't ask punters to put petrol in the demos and all they put in is super unleaded,so i run my bike almost out of the e10 and put super unleaded in,it is a different bike really grunty like the demo,its like having it remapped its that different,no more e10 for me and thats what e10 does on a brand new bike.
Tramp

Post by Tramp »

gazxt1200z wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 12:39 pm I went to have a go on a demo of the new yamaha tracer 900,really liked it because unlike the old tracer the new one was really torquey grunt at any revs like a baby mt10,so i bought one,as i was running it in and not revving it i did not realise my bike was nothing like the demo until they gave me it back when mine was being serviced,as i had just got off mine,the difference was massive they were like two different bikes,mine felt like a 600,i had been running mine on e10,so i asked the owner of the shop about the demo,he said they don't ask punters to put petrol in the demos and all they put in is super unleaded,so i run my bike almost out of the e10 and put super unleaded in,it is a different bike really grunty like the demo,its like having it remapped its that different,no more e10 for me and thats what e10 does on a brand new bike.

Some 98 octane has e5 addadtive at undisclosed levels but never higher than e5.. Some don't have any ethanol depends on uk regions... My xt660z hates e10.... Run it on 98 and its smoother.

I'm happy to pay extra...

Return to “TECHNICAL”