brake service

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
garyboy

brake service

Post by garyboy »

so .. recently my NC750s dct front brake has become dangerously low on stopping power. My last `service` was by me, and was a half-hearted bodge involving partial extrusion of the two pistons, which were very rusted, a quick and rough `clean`, replacement of brake pads, following a quick squirt of the pistons and some grease, a screwdriver in-out releasing manoeuvre, and bobs u uncle, with no replacing of brake fluid needed.

It now feels, after a few years, that the whole caboosh is on the point of seizure, in that the brake lever is like a hard board, but free running wheels, so I have ordered new s/s pistons, seals, and new ebc hh pads.

The question is; should i do it myself, or is it not worth the hassle, and just pay for it to be done?

A few years ago i would have just done it, but it is getting difficult for me to bend down or squat to get at the low stuff, and i know that those bleedin brakes can be a right pain (pun intended). What you reckon the labour cost is, and is it a straighforward job on the NC (naked) (btw, i will be wearing trousers)
mechanic

Re: brake service

Post by mechanic »

Hi Gary, from what you’ve posted, probably best for yourself and others if you get them professionally done. They are a safety critical item at the end of the day! Sounds like a couple of hours labour tops to me. Shouldn’t cost too much for peace of mind.
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

mechanic wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 5:41 am Hi Gary, from what you’ve posted, probably best for yourself and others if you get them professionally done. They are a safety critical item at the end of the day! Sounds like a couple of hours labour tops to me. Shouldn’t cost too much for peace of mind.
And while you're at it, Gary, please don't go near a fusion tokamak ! :lol: :lol:

Take care, and keep riding that thing... :)
Agent Orange

Post by Agent Orange »

If they were rusty then I suspect they are now, get replacement pistons, seals etc and do it yourself if your OK and know what you're doing.... YouTube is your friend. Get all the stuff together and do it slowly, if not pay someone. Be confident you will be fine
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

Agent Orange wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:51 am If they were rusty then I suspect they are now, get replacement pistons, seals etc and do it yourself if your OK and know what you're doing.... YouTube is your friend. Get all the stuff together and do it slowly, if not pay someone. Be confident you will be fine
Absolutely agree with the above. I don't exactly 'enjoy' bike maintenance, but I do all my own, and the key for me is to work slowly. If I rush a job I cock it up. I like really taking my time and being stupidly methodical. Get the parts in advance, clean the hell out of everything as I go along and work it all out slowly. With brake calipers, Gary, make sure you have some nice fresh copper slip, fresh DOT4 (not old stuff you've had open for years) and brake cleaner spray. You can clean pistons up nice with some high grade wet-and-dry. Fresh pads and you'll have a new-feeling bike, which is a great feeling. Bed the pads in a bit and smile out loud when you do your first stoppie.
Billy Bananahead

Post by Billy Bananahead »

....and if you do it yourself and going for a complete caliper overhaul don't buy cheap and nasty seals off ebay, get genuine parts.
Your life and others depends on it. Don't skimp.
zimtim

Post by zimtim »

As has already been said slow and methodical. YouTube vids
Take notes or even better print off the relevant pages from a downloaded repair manual.
When I do any work like that I have an old baking tray. As I take parts off I lay them in order I took them off. When it comes time to rebuild just reverse the order. In your case substitute new for old.

When putting new pistons in make sure they start of even and are well greased
mechanic

Post by mechanic »

If you go ahead yourself. One thing to really watch out for…..Some piston seal rubbers are tapered, other makes, use tapered machined grooves in the caliper itself. This taper helps retract the piston away from the disc after releasing the brake lever. If yours is the tapered seal type, you have to look very hard at the seal to ensure you fit it the correct way in the caliper groove.
mechanic

Post by mechanic »

On the subject of bleeding. Employ a large syringe and clear plastic pipe, bleed from the caliper up. It may take more equipment, but usually removes all the air first time using much less fluid.
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

thanks for all the replies, guys ... I am still, even now split between doing it myself and getting a mechanic to do it,. Baz quoted only an hour if not much corrosion (and there always is) so very good price, but not until next week, doh ...

some great reminders from you all, things I had forgotten. Its mostly an issue of my health holding out, especially after an afternoon (or 2 ... or 3) squatting on the cold floor (on cardboard) that is holding me back. Trouble is there is no half way .. once u start its gotta be finished.

Return to “TECHNICAL”