DR DOES MAROC

Where you've been and what you done
PHILinFRANCE

DR DOES MAROC

Post by PHILinFRANCE »

It all started about 3 months ago with an urge, thought it was wind !!! but it was more.I,d read all the reports seen all the pics and vids but i wasn,t on ANY.
Been to Africa a few times on hols so why not on a bike, but which one? Like most of us budget is a big factor, really fancied a XT660Z but with a €4500 tag they where out of the picture :(
Anyway got myself a LITTLE DONKEY for €1200 + €400 ish on tyres and stuff

In less than a month it was time to go, i'd met up with Mark on his fully spec,d 650 BMW that did 5 days of the Dakar in 2004 untill the guy broke some bones !!! Little felt well out matched................we'll see:P
Here we are, -1° at my place ready for the off

Eased our selves into the ride down and had the first brew just an hour down the road to warm up!!!! getting soft with age.

As we had 3 full days to get down to Almeria we got off the M/ways as soon as poss and cut through Andora and where met with SNOW
He's a pic of Marks beast.....52lts of fuel (AKA Amaco Cadiz)
Ohhh by the way there'll be no traces or way points on this report as my GPS is about 2ft square and folds up !!!!!
But i'll try this, we'd got to Ponts in Spain and had stopped outside a hotel when i looked round to see a flat back tyre!!!
I'd arranged to call in on a friend in Tremps on the way back so called him to see if we could call now, no probs he said so i limped down to the garage and banged 2 bar in it !!!
[url=http://]http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Lamothe-F%C3%A9nelon,+France&daddr=42.96115,1.6252+to:42.55445,1.58854+to:41.9238122,1.1976506+to:Tremp,+Spain&hl=en[/url]
We ended up staying for the night fed and wined great company and the tyre had stayed up, so i left it:whistle:
Here's a couple of views from Simon and Pols place

EYES ARE BLEEDING NOW !!!MORE LATER
g00ner

Re: DR DOES MAROC

Post by g00ner »

Nice one, I got back three weeks ago and want to go again - can't download the pics 'cos I've moved and can't find the leads :laugh:

Looking forward to the rest of the report
Gaffer64

Post by Gaffer64 »

Hi,

Thanks for the report nice pics, your bike looked good, some details of your farkles would be good, as usual.

Cheers

Mike G.
PHILinFRANCE

Post by PHILinFRANCE »

Thanks
Farkles

Wolfman tool pack front fender ($45 from memory)
Cheap tail pack on screen for two tubes (€10)
ATV LOGIC tank bags($20 made for quads really but works well with net)
Wider pegs from China (€12)
Home made camel toe (free)
Home made screen (free)
Home made fuel carrier (free)
5lt jerry can (€16)
And my furry friend
Phil
Mad Cow

Post by Mad Cow »

Nice report so far ;)

Although Mark's Beemer might look the same Mr Boorman's (It's nearly all off the shelf Touratech stuff after all) it 'aint the same bike. The Luvvie one still has his bike as he uses it as a prop in his live show, parked on the stage.

And he did the Dakar in 2006 not 2004 :P

Nice bike though and your wooly DR looks pretty good too!
Tony AKA MAD COW

KTM 1090 Adventure R

KTM 450 EXC Rally

MY BLOG
snaphappy

Post by snaphappy »

Come on where's part two :woohoo:
For more info click on the Dambuster Signature banner

PHILinFRANCE

Post by PHILinFRANCE »

Left Si and pols around 9ish after tea and toast , Simon had phoned ahead to his BMW dealer in Lerida for a spare tube for me.
Headed down the c1311 , fantastic road to Lerida, on getting there the mechanic turned up with a tube and would you know it he does guided tours of Maroc and done most of Africa, he has a book out but can only remember his first name Louis.....it took us 1hr 30min to buy a tube :laugh:
He advised the C12 down to Valencia for the next hotel
[url=http://]http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Tremp,+Spain&daddr=42.13369,0.62764+to:41.51218,0.61995+to:41.42709,0.58596+to:41.27154,0.53858+to:40.85252,0.51134+[/url]

Smoke break at the river ?

Belive me thats his HAPPY FACE :lol:

Found a hotel €50 a night bit dear but it was all we could find at the time, and it was 3+

Set off at 9am as we had loads of time and i suggested lunch in Benidorm B) so we headed for the coast , BUT at the same time my puncture gave out and Marks chain SNAPPED, at least the sun was shining ;)
We both set to at our road side garages
ImageImage

Over half a dozen Spanish bikers passed without stopping :unsure: i pinched the tube putting it in and it took 4 goes to fix !!!! Or so we thought !!! 10km down the road it was down again so we moosed it and i banged 2.5 bar in when we got to a garage as time was getting on , missed fish un chips in Benidorm :sick:
Got to Almeria with 4hrs to spare !!! so got some well earned grub, still covered in oil and tyre black

YOU COME NEAR MY FOOD AND I'LL KILL YOU

Loaded the bike and had a well needed shower

Sun rise over Africa

Left the ferry , got through customs easy enough and set of like a couple of grinning kids, only to realise we hadn't changed any money :blush:
I pulled into a local hotel and as Mark doesn't do French i went in and managed to get €100 changed.
Got out of town and pushed south heading for Missour, got about 100km from Guercif and stopped for a mint tea where Mark found his throttle cable was only held together by two threads........BMWs :whistle:
Bar owner phoning around for a cable

The garage was less than a km away , the guy only spoke Arabic but a lot of pointing and fags we got sorted
BMWs:whistle:

Set AGAIN :whistle: laughing all the way when at Saka this mother of all wind came from nowhere , it was tha bad we couldn,t ride so hide the bikes behind a wall and went into the cafe ....for 2hrs , 15 mins after us 3 Belgium lads (22 years old) came in on XL600s
doing the whole West coat to SA,
This pic no way shows how strong the wind was , i took a vid but have no idea how to post it
Got to Missour around 4pm after riding through this, but it stayed dry

Your's truly or Ali Baba as the locals kept calling me

The pool

And we've only been for 1 day :woohoo:
Tramp

Post by Tramp »

cool report so far...

whats with the beard :huh: and I can see a thread developing..punctures and snapped stuff :laugh: :laugh: I`ve been their with pinched tubes..less haste oh bearded one :P .

Spanish roads look cool cant wait till spring 2012..but I aint fixing all the punctures :woohoo: ..
PHILinFRANCE

Post by PHILinFRANCE »

Watch this thread for punctures :whistle:
HUDDERS

Post by HUDDERS »

Hey Phil, get on with the bloody report and put the red wine down :P

Cracking read ;)

Return to “RIDE REPORTS”