South American tour

Where you've been and what you done
ErikGustav2

Arequipa and La Loya

Post by ErikGustav2 »

Arequipa.
What a place Mines that spread dust. The dust blew around so it looked like fog. I understand that the protests have a bit of center stage here. The miners who work themselves sick. The money ends up in American companies and investments along the coast. And the sick local population is starving. Just like 70 years ago when Ernesto and Alberto passed through here.
Just before Arequipa, I ate lunch and filled up with gas. According to information, the center would be quiet. But the entrances and exits difficult. So I avoided going into the center, to look for a hotel. I continued towards the coast. I thought there was some hotel just outside or along the road. But not. No hotel before the coast.

La Loya
In La Loya, the road through the center had been blocked. But it was possible to take smaller roads to get around. According to information, the road would be free to the coast. Which was not true. It was the same with a lot of information. The people do not know much outside their own village.
Last edited by ErikGustav2 on Sat Apr 01, 2023 9:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
ErikGustav2

Towards Camana

Post by ErikGustav2 »

Towards Camana

Blockage 1
61.jpg
61.jpg (105 KiB) Viewed 2363 times
A rather standard blockage. I did not have to use too much time to convince them to let me pass.

Blockage 2.
71.jpg
71.jpg (70.87 KiB) Viewed 2363 times
72.jpg
72.jpg (105.09 KiB) Viewed 2363 times

Look at the flag hanging. I still have it. It will be the main souvenir from this trip
Even it is damaged from the wind. And far from so nice as in the picture.

The road was blocked here. And they said that it would be closed for another 2 hours. It was 3 PM. So wait until 5 PM, when they were supposed to open up and go home. And no one was allowed to pass until then. I talked as usual about being an innocent stranger. But it didn't help to begin with. But they said it was possible to drive around off the road. A small detour out in the "desert". OK. But I asked what did it matter if I went between the stones or around the entire barrier in the desert. Finally, one person said that a motorcycle was OK. And they let me through.

Blockage 3:

Now it was serious. A queue of several kilometers with lorries. Which of course I drove around. There was a demonstration with speakers that covered the whole road. And trucks everywhere. I parked the motorcycle, hung out the flag and tried to find out who decided.
The one with the loudspeaker was the one someone said. As a stop between the road and the houses there was a cable hanging . To prevent vehicles going around the blockade. The wire had a boss. So I talked to him. The usual story... And he said OK. Drive. So I walked over to the motorcycle and drove past. As fast as I could. No time to take any picture.

I stopped at a street cafe about 70 km from the coast, and asked for coffee. Nix. But then they saw the flag and then they could heat water for instant coffee. As usual, I asked about the way forward. Several stops. Some violent and dangerous, they said. Oh. Best to raise the flag. Fortunately, this information was also incorrect. I was expecting a blockade after every corner. But the road was completely clean down to the coast. I have learned to watch oncoming traffic. As long as there is one or two vehicles in the oncoming lane, the road is open. No meetings => stop ahead.
Last edited by ErikGustav2 on Sat Apr 01, 2023 9:34 am, edited 4 times in total.
ErikGustav2

Reaching Pan American

Post by ErikGustav2 »

The sea
81.jpg
81.jpg (52.13 KiB) Viewed 2362 times
Finally I got to see the ocean!! and arrived at route number 1. Pan American. A short distance up to Camana, and a hotel. After an absolutely incredible day. It was almost 6 pm. So it took 12 hours to cover 440 km. Under constant psychological pressure. A lovely rest awaited.

Camana the next day
The next morning I took a short walk in Camana. What a feeling ? I enjoyed a normal environment. Without doing anything. Just absorbing the feeling.
Last edited by ErikGustav2 on Thu Feb 16, 2023 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tonibe63

Re: South American tour

Post by Tonibe63 »

Good news, thanks for the updates and well done for keeping your head straight 8-)
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.
ErikGustav2

Post by ErikGustav2 »

This long story took some time to produce. So it came after some shorter updates. But it was important for me. Puno and the way out was something unique. I have learned a lot. I am now just north of Lima. I will follow Pan Am north towards Ecuador. And take issues as they come. I can not do any specific plans. In best case, there will be nothing to report. But I assume that the adventure will continue.

Towards Ecuador. One step at a time. And see what happens
Last edited by ErikGustav2 on Sat Apr 01, 2023 9:35 am, edited 3 times in total.
dave h

Post by dave h »

Good luck Erik,

dave.
OnHellas

Post by OnHellas »

Great reports and photos. Keep ‘em coming and most of all…keep safe and we’ll out there.
johnnyboy

Post by johnnyboy »

well done for keeping going on your epic journey,
thanks for posting this once again,
ErikGustav2

In Ecuador

Post by ErikGustav2 »

All went well. I passed the border this morning.
Wonderful cruising today.
Calm.
Forest instead of desert with sand and dust.
Twisty roads instead of stright.
Wonderful views.
Some afternoon shower is included in the rain forest. But so what. It washes of some dust.

I plan some days on the Amazonas side of los Andes. Before crossing to Banos/Chimborazo, Cotopaxi and la avenida de los volcanos.

Ecuador, according to me, is underrated. A lot of people pass as fast as possible towards Ushuaia. But this country has so much to offer.
But... that is my taste.
I will enjoy quite some time here.

There were ten travelers from France crossing the border at the same time. But going south. I tried to explain the situation in Peru. But if you have not seen it, it is hard to understand. My advice to them was to stay on pan am and ride to Chile as fast as possible. And to keep a very low profile and be polite, in case of road blocks. I wish them good luck.
Last edited by ErikGustav2 on Sat Apr 01, 2023 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Godspeed

Post by Godspeed »

Hope your onward journey is much better now
The Meandering Moustache

Going Big and Riding Small

Honda PCX125 (sports tourer)
Honda Innova ANF125 (Adventure bike)

Return to “RIDE REPORTS”