Towards Colombia

Post by ErikGustav2 »

Planned route
Rutt.jpg
Rutt.jpg (107.89 KiB) Viewed 2527 times
I was only in the Quito area when I saw this burning truck in a roundabout
TC 11.jpg
TC 11.jpg (98.78 KiB) Viewed 2527 times
What the fuck ? Has the war started also in Ecuador? Peru memories pop up again.
But I asked a policeman. And he said that it was an accident. The vehicle had exploded by unknown reason. No sabotage. Puh...

Quito- Baeza is one of the two main roads into Amazonas. The other one is from Banos to Tena
Passing 4 000 m. So the sweater from Otavalo came to use direct.
Can you avoid enjoying this;
TC 12.jpg
TC 12.jpg (134.45 KiB) Viewed 2527 times
One extra like to the one that remember the Spanish word,
Last edited by ErikGustav2 on Thu Feb 16, 2023 9:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ErikGustav2

Lunch time in Baeza

Post by ErikGustav2 »

No Mac Donalds or Caldo de Galllina.
TC21.jpg
TC21.jpg (92.94 KiB) Viewed 2523 times
This is one reason why I love to travel in this area. Small cafes and restaurants. With food direct from the fire.
Not like the deserts in Peru and Chlie
TC22.jpg
TC22.jpg (106.55 KiB) Viewed 2523 times
During the lunch, I had the luck that there was a truck driver that knew all that was needed to know about the road conditions.
He talked and I wrote.
I got a road book.
TC 23.jpg
TC 23.jpg (109.42 KiB) Viewed 2523 times
More or less confirming what I already new.
The short road to Nueva Loja was not passable.
I had to look for a Y, with a sign to Coca.
Turn there into a bad road.. Muy Malo !!

The notes were enough to get me on track
Last edited by ErikGustav2 on Sat Apr 01, 2023 10:07 am, edited 3 times in total.
ErikGustav2

Towards Loredo

Post by ErikGustav2 »

Up in the mountains. Fog and rain. Visibility 2 meters.
Urk. I will be in the middle of the mountains when it gets dark !!

But it cleared up. And I made it to the Y that I should search for. Saved. This was the tricky navigation part.
No pictures in the fog. Now it was just about to make it in time...
In the Y cross there was a small comedor. Two truck drivers were eating, I took a coffee to stay awake the last hours.
I asked them about the road, Malo ! Muy Malo! Peligroso ! Destroyed by rain and slippery due to diesel on the road..
Hm. Not what I wanted to hear.
And since the main road was closed. All heavy traffic had to use this small twisty road. The trucks made lines up the hills, And had problems meeting each others. Himalayan climbed on. And we made it to Laredo for a short brake, And went on to San Sebastian de Coca. That town should be more touristic and give better chance to find accommodation.
And we found a bed for me and a garage for my Himalayan. Just as the sun set. Even an open comedor close to the hotel, so I did not have to go to bed hungry.
Last edited by ErikGustav2 on Sat Apr 01, 2023 10:08 am, edited 3 times in total.
ErikGustav2

Towards Nueva Loja

Post by ErikGustav2 »

At least 90 % of my days have the best moment early on the day.
When I have loaded the bike. Got on the road and done a small stretch. I stop for breakfast, if that was not included in the hotel. Or a coffee break. The day has just started. No rush, no search for accommodation, no... just enjoying a cup of coffee and the life on the road. From that it often goes downhill. As this day. Even it was solved rather easy, so nothing to complain about. I was very lucky and I am glad. But I enjoy mornings more and more...

Breakfast.
TC 31.jpg
TC 31.jpg (98.91 KiB) Viewed 2519 times
Black coffee of good quality.
Yucca bread direct from the oven,

Time to fill up gas i Nueva Loja. Just when I enter the gas station, the bike behaves bad.
Low or no pressure in the front tyre.
I try the air compressor at the gas station (I have a small 12 v one in the pannier)
No result. There is a huge puncture.
TC 32.jpg
TC 32.jpg (164.54 KiB) Viewed 2519 times
Fuck tubed tyres, It is so much easier to plug a tubeless tyre.

Time to get to work . I was very lucky that there was a tyre workshop close. So I did not have to do all myself.¨¨
tc 33.jpg
tc 33.jpg (119.43 KiB) Viewed 2519 times
Time for lunch and to escape the heat to do this editing., instead of waiting in line at the border in 37 degrees
New attempt to get into Colombia tomorrow.
Last edited by ErikGustav2 on Sat Apr 01, 2023 10:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
ErikGustav2

Crossing into Colombia

Post by ErikGustav2 »

It went smooth. But it takes some time, even there are very few people.
The handling of the TIP is described in many different ways. But for me. They stamp one side when I enter. As proof that the bike is legal in the country. They stamp the other side when I exit. To cancel the permit .And then they archive the document. For Ecuador, it was cancelled as normal. But the officer asked me to take a photo of the document. Just in case. Second time this happened. The original goes to the aduana archive.
TC 51.jpg
TC 51.jpg (57.7 KiB) Viewed 2296 times
And my Himalayan did not need any new TIP for Colombia. It is not imported. It is coming home !!!

1 hour and we were on the road again. A couple of days left to close the loop. After 4 months on the road.
It is dangerous to relax in the end. So I will not do too many hours per day riding. But take a lot of coffee breaks.
And make sure that the last leg entering Bogota is short.
TC 52.jpg
TC 52.jpg (94.96 KiB) Viewed 2296 times
Good bye Ecuador. We will meet again.
TC 53.jpg
TC 53.jpg (117.79 KiB) Viewed 2296 times
Colombia (Bogota). Here I come.
Last edited by ErikGustav2 on Sat Apr 01, 2023 10:11 am, edited 3 times in total.
Godspeed

Re: South American tour

Post by Godspeed »

Still really enjoying your write ups! :)

Breakfast looks good… must admit to being partial to a slice of flan when travelling in France though it does nothing for the waistline ;)
The Meandering Moustache

Going Big and Riding Small

Honda PCX125 (sports tourer)
Honda Innova ANF125 (Adventure bike)
ErikGustav2

Himalayan as new

Post by ErikGustav2 »

I stayed to get the bike washed today. First time in 4 months.
RE 01.jpg
RE 01.jpg (108.71 KiB) Viewed 2296 times
No, it was not this girl that did the job. But he who did it worked hard. Degreasing, shampoo, wax, polish.....

The bike looks as new.
Re 32.jpg
Re 32.jpg (95.33 KiB) Viewed 2296 times
RE 42.jpg
RE 42.jpg (188.98 KiB) Viewed 2296 times

As mentioned, the dealer will not buy or help me sell the bike. He will not even spread info on Facebook and communities he knows.
One person that I have never met. But is good friend to a German guy in Cali, promised me to sell the bike for me. But.... I should sign all papers. And then he should travel 4 weeks in Peru and Ecuador. And after that sell the bike. Maybe I get money in some way after 2-3 months. From the German guy. No I can't transfer the bike to a guy that goes to Peru and Ecuador, that I have never seen. And I go to Portugal. Without owning the bike or having any money. And what can I do if something goes wrong. It would be different if it was a friend living next to me.

Problems with the dealer, lost time in Peru and helper that goes on vacation. Too much. I have decided to try for two weeks to sell the bike private, While I prepare the return trip to Portugal. After that, I will leave the bike here. I will come back next winter to tour Colombia. That I did not have time and energy to do this time. And hopefully the selling can be better prepared. And Colombia/Ecuador are no long distances of transport like going to southern Chile/Argentina. Fun all the time (But rainy in the Colombian Mountains and Amazonas area)

I had planned to hand in the bike to the dealer and take whatever he offers. And go home. That was the whole idea to avoid cost for shipping.
But I will probably having a RE with me as owner staying here in Colombia. But then I can use it one more time. Without shipping cost.

Well. New planning for next winter. Make sure that I die with the boots on.....
Maybe even try Venezuela ?

I have one more day to ride to Bogota. the bike has passed 22 000 km.
Google maps says that it takes 4 hours to ride 110 km. Add navigation problem to that... it will go slow, But as long as I can avoid accident. I am fine
The advertisement is already created. But with pictures taken before washing.
Last edited by ErikGustav2 on Sat Apr 01, 2023 10:16 am, edited 5 times in total.
ErikGustav2

End of loop

Post by ErikGustav2 »

Back in Bogota where it all started.
I have added some pictures to previous posts
ODO.jpg
ODO.jpg (86.31 KiB) Viewed 2367 times
Total distance covered is visible on ODO.

Probably a trip to Cali will be added.

And it took 4 hours to ride 112 km.
Road work and heavy trafic.

And if we leave the trip itself and only talk about the bike.
I like it more and more, Especially in norther SA, where there are no desert to ride for hours.
But twisty roads, Up and down the mountains, Both tarmac and gravel. That is what Himalayan is made for.
I would be very happy to ride a Himalayan in the European mountains.

I would
1) Change steering stem bearings.
2) Replace the relays with Bosch quality items.
3) Raise the handle bar a bit
4) Use the crash bars for fuel, water or bags
> It would make an even greater travel bike for me
And a new phone holder is on the shopping list.

Number 2,3 and 4, I will do before next trip. With equipment from HItchcook Motors.

The chain and the tyres still have some left. But If I go for the Colombian Mountains, it is better to change before. Then searching for tyres in Amazonas.

I am really surpriced how long days I can do with this bike.
The Air Hawk seat helps. And with raised handlebars, it will be even better.
Attachments
TC 61.jpg
TC 61.jpg (101.34 KiB) Viewed 2296 times
Last edited by ErikGustav2 on Sat Apr 01, 2023 10:18 am, edited 5 times in total.
ErikGustav2

Thanks

Post by ErikGustav2 »

Thanks a lot for supporting this thread.
Without support, It had not been done.

I have almost 1000 pictures.
And 30 pages of computer written diary to handle. If I get bored some time.
As memories for life

The two last pictures for now will be draft of the route taken.
It is lot is missing. But it gives an overview.
Google Maps only allows a limited number of Way Points

Vägen söderut.jpg
Vägen söderut.jpg (51.57 KiB) Viewed 2293 times
Going south

Vägen norrut.jpg
Vägen norrut.jpg (55.76 KiB) Viewed 2293 times
Going North
Last edited by ErikGustav2 on Sat Apr 01, 2023 10:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
OnHellas

Re: South American tour

Post by OnHellas »

Excellent!!

Return to “RIDE REPORTS”