In praise of the humble V-Strom 650 XT - UK adventures

Where you've been and what you done
adventure steele

Re: In praise of the humble V-Strom 650 XT - UK adventures

Post by adventure steele »

That's ace miles minky, I'm the same as I said in the new video review I'm quite happy to sit back well under the speed limit let everyone go an relax into a nice rhythm n take the scenery in done all the race track stuff so it's well out of my system so the 650 really suits that but more than enough revvy ness for a country road bend or to for grin inducing fun.

I had a ktm lad from Aus comment on the video an I actually made that point about price my last R1200 GSA TE was close to 17k all said n done had it for 3 years tons of issues with it. Sold it for 11k No way it could have been kept without the extended warranty it lunched a few engines thanks to a dealer screw up a gearbox an a FD + on the first day I had it a set of clocks fail then endless fueling and esa issues.

In comparison I picked the V-Strom 650XT up 9 months old for £6,250 from a main dealers with next to no miles on so really if I hadn't bought the 1200 back in in the day just the depreciation would have covered the cost of buying the V-Strom n i would have had 11,000 quid to play with.

Had 5 Suzuki's now an even the 80s gsx750et was bulletproof the lad who had it off me uses it all the time to as he always sends me piccies.

Just the cost difference of self servicing the Strom + not having an extended warranty to pay for over the next few years will considerably lighten the cost of buying the V-Strom with the miles I was doing it was a couple of services a year on the BM an the cost of the extended warranty which all added up. I know some self service the big Beemers an some have no issues but mine was a nightmare but all brands have sunday bikes :) was a fabulous bit of kit when it actually worked.

Not to mention the MPG Difference even Vstrom to Vstrom weight ease off handling etc.

Here's the question though I just specc'd the new 1250 GSA to the same spec as my old 1200 GSA TE and it came out at 20k that wasn't even fully loaded an the V-Strom new is about £7,500 ish at some dealers usually or 7k pre reg

So is the GSA £13,000 quid more motorbike + all the servicing costs + The need really for a extended warranty if something goes wrong that's the question and that was part of the reason behind me going for the Strom other than what I mention in the video. When i sold my rd350lcs my bonnie n all my rd spares I was able to pick up a 1927 Norton an the Vstrom for the price of a GSA with a couple more options pretty crazy to think about.

If you were to compare to the old 1150 GSA the 650 XT is 45KG or so lighter an only 14hp difference in favour of the 1150 certainly makes you think.

I'm not criticising the Beemers in any stretch I think they are great bikes for certain circumstances and when money is no object they are a good solution I just wish they would ditch the endless tech and chasing HP I read on ADV Rider that there might even be a 1400GS coming out they are moving past the realms of ADV for my liking bring back a basic r80 g/s thats reliable in my book.

I reckon once I've managed to move house to Scotland or Devon I'm deffo going to look at a lightweight single cylinder 701, 300 rally or 300l and the 500 exc f keep catching my attention for my Norway n Iceland trip and for doing the Tet in addition to keeping the Vstrom the saving over if I bought another Gs justifies that I reckon or at least that's what I'm telling myself haha!

At some point I really need to try a Himalayan just to get it out of my system once I'm back in a job I'll have to get down to Nathan's place. Want to look at some one on one off road training at some point to as I hate riding in groups after a friend of mine passed away. Usually just tend to ride with my dad now or on my own :)
NeilM

Post by NeilM »

When I bought my VStrom in 2020 I was coming from a five year period of not owning a motorbike.

My last bike was a Buell S3 which was a hoot and a much better bike than those who dislike Harley's and Buell's could ever know, but I was either going to lose my license or worse my life if I was not careful. Then in 2019/20 I came up with the crazy idea of going moto camping for the first time ever....at 62 years old, and needed a bike to suit.

My first 'big' bike back in the late 1970's was a Triumph T100P, after that a 1968 Bonnie 650, bigger than that at the time was hard to afford and rare, now a 650 is considered a little or learner bike, that didn't bother me, I did my research, read countless reviews, watched video's aplenty and came to the conclusion that for solo travel with a tent and other associated gubbins AND for pushing around the garage and up and down my sloping driveway, the VStrom was the kiddie, and as good luck would have it my local dealer had a slightly high mileage one owner example... which is now a slightly higher mileage two owner example.

I recently tried a Triumph Tiger Sport 660, I love Triumph's and thought this may be the VStrom's replacement. It is a very nice, fast, taught handling bike, but I could no more spend seven hours riding it down to and around the New Forest, as I did last Thursday, than I could a Norton Commando proddy racer I used to maintain for the owner. So, the VStrom stays, for at least another season.

As for maintenance, I bloody hate having to pull acres of bodywork off, just to check plugs and filters, but it's the same with all bikes now and at least the VStrom doesn't have a complex set of electronics to upset just because I want to fit a power lead for my heated gloves.
adventure steele

Had an awesome terrific ride out on the V-Strom 650XT to Winnat's pass
Testing out my new Mic Setup which means I've finally got good audio yay! Took a while to save up for.

I decided to film some of my thought's while riding chatting about why I'm possibly considering a change of bike towards a lighter ADV setup and tried to explain my methodology behind those thoughts.

As it's a choice between bringing in a 2nd Vstrom 650XT for my dad or two much lighter bikes with thoughts on the 300 Rally or Himmy. It's a tricky choice for sure.

I also covered my thoughts on why I like the Strom an think it's such a brilliant compromise spec wise an often gets overlooked in favour of the Cb500X an Ideally why I want to keep hold of the 650XT if I can as well. I've sectioned the video into chapters to.

Godspeed

Post by Godspeed »

Get a couple of CG125s. Cheaper, same decent range, easy to pick up and it’ll save you a shed load so you can spend longer on your trip. You can take them off road as well.
👍
The Meandering Moustache

Going Big and Riding Small

Honda PCX125 (sports tourer)
Honda Innova ANF125 (Adventure bike)
NeilM

Post by NeilM »

Godspeed, you are the undisputed master of long distance travel on small bikes, but....

In the last two days I have ridden a touch under 600 miles on my 650 VStrom, from W-s-M to Lowestoft, an overnight camp and home again via Lowestoft Ness and the very North of Norfolk via Broadlands NP. I have a Honda CG125 and I really REALLY wouldn't have wanted to do those two rides on it, the VStrom handled it perfectly, including the truly appalling road surfaces in Norfolk, which ironically I rode at 50 to 55MPH MAX in order to avoid my bike shaking itself to bits or a couple of fillings falling out.

Lovely trip mind, the Ness at 8.30 am is a powerful place.
Magnusson

Post by Magnusson »

Godspeed wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 4:45 pm Get a couple of CG125s. Cheaper, same decent range, easy to pick up and it’ll save you a shed load so you can spend longer on your trip. You can take them off road as well.
👍
The new Vstrom 250 SX (Adventure) looks very nice. Suzuki added some ponies to the engine and more importantly dropped over 20 kilos.
Champagne taste on beer budget.
Godspeed

Post by Godspeed »

Magnusson wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 7:19 am
Godspeed wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 4:45 pm Get a couple of CG125s. Cheaper, same decent range, easy to pick up and it’ll save you a shed load so you can spend longer on your trip. You can take them off road as well.
👍
The new Vstrom 250 SX (Adventure) looks very nice. Suzuki added some ponies to the engine and more importantly dropped over 20 kilos.
Is that a new one for 2022? Sounds interesting
The Meandering Moustache

Going Big and Riding Small

Honda PCX125 (sports tourer)
Honda Innova ANF125 (Adventure bike)
Magnusson

Post by Magnusson »

It's been launched in India. Don't know about the rest of the world. The previous one didn't sell in Europe so Suzuki might not want to bring it over.
Screenshot_20220429-233835_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20220429-233835_Chrome.jpg (48.46 KiB) Viewed 1849 times
Champagne taste on beer budget.
adventure steele

Thanks everyone :) The SX is a cool looking bike we probably wont get it again although it is heavy, I wish they would give us a modern up to date DR650.

I know what you mean Neil when I did my 600 mile day up to around the Scottish borders and back. Honestly felt like I could have hopped straight on the bike n rode back again :) perfect for those long distance rides. I don't think I could get dad onto a 125 coming from his GSXR 750.

Currently leading the way is the 300 Rally although the access to the spark plug bothers me with the fairings if you were to drop it in a river crossing something I'm gonna read about.

300L is the other option but then it's the weigh up in cost to make them a bit more long legged tank wise screen etc which the rally ticks it's boxes with the screen, nav bar tank range comfier seat etc.

Himalayan is still a contender love the low cog on them, the weight is a shame absolutely love the idea of a long stroke shame they might be moving away from that if the 450 rumours are true.

Lots of time to do more reading up n get a ride on a few before next year :)
crofty

Post by crofty »

I have been following this with interest as i have 2 v stroms, a 650 and a 250. I bought the 250 for a tour of Ireland with my pal who only rides small bikes and generally doesn't go above 50 mph.
That was last year and when I came back i modified the gearing which is pretty low geared. I upped the front sprocket by one and dropped the rear by two, now it sits at its at 62mph at 6500 rpm and if you need to get a move on at 8000 rpm it is at 74mph, still 2500 rpm below the red line so hopefully its not working too hard, I have done about 7k so far with this set up.
I just did a week touring from the youth hostel in torridon. It gets 95mpg when bimbling around at 50mph and drops to 74 mpg when you cruising on faster roads at 75mph. The 17 litre tank gives a range at up to 350 miles, this is fantastic on any bike and with the current price of petrol a win win. Anyway here's a few pics of the last trip
IMG_20220427_165835415_HDR.jpg
IMG_20220427_165835415_HDR.jpg (282.97 KiB) Viewed 1788 times
Attachments
IMG_20220427_203734746_HDR.jpg
IMG_20220427_203734746_HDR.jpg (252.93 KiB) Viewed 1788 times
IMG_20220427_193445974_HDR.jpg
IMG_20220427_193445974_HDR.jpg (280.96 KiB) Viewed 1788 times

Return to “RIDE REPORTS”