Enduro Riding in Canada

Where you've been and what you done
gqelements

Enduro Riding in Canada

Post by gqelements »

Hey gang,

Haven't been here in a while but wanted to pop-in to share a video of one of our day trips here in Canada. Let me know what you think!

daveuprite

Re: Enduro Riding in Canada

Post by daveuprite »

Great vid. Thanks for posting. I loved Canada when I went there many years ago. Do you ever go really far north on the bikes? What's the situation with off-roading right up in Northern Manitoba, Hudson Bay, Nunavut etc? Is it protected wilderness or are there permitted trails?
gqelements

Post by gqelements »

daveuprite wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:24 am Great vid. Thanks for posting. I loved Canada when I went there many years ago. Do you ever go really far north on the bikes? What's the situation with off-roading right up in Northern Manitoba, Hudson Bay, Nunavut etc? Is it protected wilderness or are there permitted trails?
The only protection is from bears and wolves.... you are also free to go through any crown land if you can find trails. The problem sheer size of the country and the fact that 80% of the population is stretched across the southern-most US border. The farther north you go, the more scarce population and fuel gets... When comparing to European riding, consider that you can drive East-West and not get across just one province (Ontario, which population-wise is dwarfed by LONDON alone)..

The Province of Ontario is;
approximately 1,076,395 sq. km / 415,598 sq mi.
larger than France and Spain , combined.
almost 1/3 the size of India.
more than 3 times the size of Germany.
more than 3.5 times the size of Italy.
more than 4 times the size of the UK.
more than 8.25 times the size of England.
more than 15 times the size of Ireland.

In Ontario and Quebec you can get as far north as James Bay (on bigger bikes and with big gas tanks) but the trip is pretty boring (Straight, flat Gravel Road), but not further.... the red and orange is about as far as Ontario and Quebec riders get...
Attachments
Untitled.png
Untitled.png (347.47 KiB) Viewed 1894 times
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

Thanks for the great reply. Back in 1991 I drove from Toronto to Vancouver via Grand Sudbury, Thunder Bay, Winnipeg (beautiful route through Pukaskwa Park) and then across the prairies (yawn) to Calgary etc. It took 3 weeks including some sightseeing, but mostly driving all day every day. It's bloody huge, Canada! I was basically delivering a car for someone who was moving from one side of the country to the other (a 'driveaway' it was called), which was a good way to see a lot of scenery on the cheap.

But I always found myself looking at the few routes North and wondering what it would be like to ride a bike in the wilderness up there.
boboneleg

Post by boboneleg »

Great video, that's some pretty gnarly terrain :o
one-legged adventurer
gqelements

Post by gqelements »

daveuprite wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 6:27 am But I always found myself looking at the few routes North and wondering what it would be like to ride a bike in the wilderness up there.
Honestly most of us do the same, but as above, lack of fuel generally makes it a in-and-out dash dictated by amount of fuel you and your bike can carry...

There are some amazing riding experiences, like this Ice Road ride one by my buddy Mike - and awesome adventurer up in Alberta, Canada: https://www.giantloopmoto.com/ride-north-moto/

Return to “RIDE REPORTS”