1967 Norton 650SS Winter Adventures

Where you've been and what you done
macvisual

Re: 1967 Norton 650SS Winter Adventures

Post by macvisual »

wOOw mind blowing photographic images of your beautiful iconic motorcycle, probably the best I've ever viewed - utter respect....!

Simply stunning....

Best regards;
Peter
Scotland
"Progress is not possible without deviation".

Frank Zappa
adventure steele

Post by adventure steele »

Thanks for the comments Peter hope you are keeping well in these strange times we live in glad you like them just a few quick snaps with my midrange android samsung a70 while out an about. Usually stop at the same spot just to check her over an the views great before heading deeper into the Peak District.

Nice safe spot to pull up some of the places I'd love to take some pics at would be a pain to stop at only having a centre stand. Feel very lucky to own an ride the 650ss as my daily got her from the previous owner who had owned her since new. Finished the resto painted her myself an did all the setup work on the engine. Really just a custodian for generations to come :) got my ww2 Norton RAF16H I'm restoring an I'm half way through the rebuild on my 68' Commando. Hoping to sell my gsx750et an rd250lc at some point an get another British classic. My uncle raced a 68 Commando a Gus Kuhn Commando an a 650ss in the 60s

What Part of Scotland are you from Peter my family are from Tranent all the way 1600s some intriguing family history we found out :)
macvisual

Post by macvisual »

I'm living in the Central Belt of Scotland, a small town called 'Alloa', we're about six miles located from Stirling Castle.

I've only been living in Scotland eleven years now as I moved over from Northern Ireland where I was originally born etc...

Your Norton is simply beautiful....

Cheers;
Peter
"Progress is not possible without deviation".

Frank Zappa
Hugh

Post by Hugh »

Greetings,

The top box in the photo was made by a company called Screenflow from Bolton as I recall. It was set slightly further back on the rack so that my wife could hold onto the raised rail. Sadly the hinges of that top box eventually failed, the current unit fitted is a Rickman of more conventional box style.

Early luggage racks used to fail because of the lack of supporting vertical rods, then when the rods were fitted to the rack the rear loop of the motorcycle frame could fail :!: I fitted additional bracing shafts down from the rack to the rear footrest plates, similar to the Craven design. Craven were very popular in the 60s through 80s and I am pleased to see that they are still in business. They really do look the part and I know a '99' still fitted with its original carriers. Quite a few Craven side boxes protected Police bikes in the 70s :!: :!: The Mk III silencers were designed to protect the bike in the event of a slide :o

Below is a photo of my sidecar outfit that I built totally from spare parts, ES2 frame; 99 engine, Commando gearbox, sidecar forks and clamps, twin leading shoe front brakes with part AM4 linings set up by Ferodo at Chapel en le Frith, Goldie silencer, all complimented by a Palma child adult sidecar. Gearing was such that top speed was low but boy could it accelerate.
Norton sidecar.jpg
Norton sidecar.jpg (50.59 KiB) Viewed 1673 times
I hope that you get as much enjoyment from your Nortons as over the years I have from mine. Your 16H should go anywhere :lol:

TTFN

Hugh.
adventure steele

Thanks Peter that's ace :) I've been looking at Scotland or Cornwall for a possible move at some point.

Awesome info again thanks Hugh yep that was my concern it's good to see they run a support system from the footrests as that was my concern making the tail unit droop

Love that side car combo looks brilliant! My 16H originally would have had a sidecar combo for the RAF one of only 3,000 made for them I got lucky an managed to get the original wartime reg number for her that goes on the tank managed to recreate the layout an font + roundels from original pics from a RAF records keeper had it as all were thought destroyed he had mine and amazingly one for a lads RE RAF bike that had been advising me so was really nice to be able to give something back.

Thats really interesting on the police bikes :) the mk3 sounds ace :) quite liking the look of the interstates.

Yep they really have to be honest its impossible almost to put into words how much pleasure they have given me truly special bikes.
92kk k100lt 193214

Post by 92kk k100lt 193214 »

This brought back lots of memories.

My uncle used to have and race a Norton Atlas, a 1965.

My aunt had not exactly been a fan of motorbikes, eventually resulting in the 'loss' of the Atlas in time and replacement by a Honda 50 that my uncle used for commuting.

I used to visit my grandfather most Saturdays or Sundays in the afternoon, him a proud owner of a Ford Anglia and a garage that had various items stored under some white sheets that no one saw underneath.

In 1982 he passed and the house sold on. About 2011 said uncle passed too. some months later the Atlas turned up for sale. The secret? It had never been sold [nor had the Anglia]!! My uncle every Saturday morning dutifully put on his bike gear, helmet and boots and like any good son rode that bike to visit his dad. My grandad? Uncle would arrive, park the Honda 50 in the garage and hop on the Atlas that had been fuelled checked for oils air etc etc and warmed up for him and head off into the Sally Gap, perfect bike routes in the mountains. My aunt often mentioned that he used to come back from his dads like a new man. Not one of us had ever seen under those sheets......and only found out after my uncle had passed.

So, enjoy that bike.
1992 K100LT June 2010 110,000 miles
1984 K100RT July 2013 36,000 miles, 90,000
1983 K100RS Nov 2018 29,000 miles, 36,400 miles
1996 K1100LT Oct 2020 37,990 miles
1984 K100 Sprint March 2023 58,000 miles
Hugh

Post by Hugh »

Greetings,

How about this sidecar combo, it's not your bike is it?
Norton defence.jpg
Norton defence.jpg (89.07 KiB) Viewed 1615 times
TTFN

Hugh.
adventure steele

wow 92kk thats one truly amazing story thanks for sharing with us all it's amazing isn't it what they evoke memories wise isn't it before all this covid stuff I'd spend hours chatting to people when I stopped etc.

Cracking poster that Hugh that's a big 4 :)

This is the WW2 RAF Norton for those that are interested sporting her original Wartime number on the tank that's unique to the bike an hand painted on the roundels were nerve wracking to hand paint haha!
adventure steele

Squeezed one last ride in before the extra restrictions come in tomorrow been riding her every single day.

Decided I might as well start exploring the local area ^-^ looking forward to editing the video from todays ride.
Super love this bike know I sound like a stuck record but really is a golden age to own an ride a Norton.

daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

Yeah, that's a lovely bike. Great to see it being used properly, not just polished and trailer-ed about.

Return to “RIDE REPORTS”