Meeting a Rally Champion

Where you've been and what you done
daveuprite

Meeting a Rally Champion

Post by daveuprite »

While we were up in the Pyrenees last week, at about 2200 metres in the middle of nowhere, we spotted a guy on his own with a brand new GS1200 who looked like he might have broken down. We rode over to him and found that he was actually busy making drone videos of the landscape and the rapidly moving clouds that kept clearing and then surrounding us. He buzzed over us with the drone, recording:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/53wcefwyy0the ... 0.mp4?dl=0

With a cool flourish he caught the drone with one hand as it descended, we applauded, and we started chatting to him. Turns out he is Kris Meeke - who until very recently was a top level World Rally Championship factory driver part-trained by Colin McRae and competing all round the world with the likes of Sebastién Loeb. He just retired with his family to Andorra where he can enjoy his millions away from that pestering tax man. He is hopeful of an entry in the next Dakar and had lots to say about rallying etc.

He's kept in contact and told us that he did over 400kms of trails that day on the GS before returning to Andorra. He's put several thousands of kms on the bike in just 3 months, in Italy, Slovenia, France and Spain. Nice guy with a great northern irish accent and time to chat with a bunch of nobs like us.

dibbs

Re: Meeting a Rally Champion

Post by dibbs »

Wow! brilliant footage and i wish i was riding there right now! looks a fantastic trail
Hoggyf

Post by Hoggyf »

Didn't realise he'd retired, he was always close but just never seemed to get the last little bit which I couldn't work out if it was bad luck or just not having the right car or the car right under him. Hope he goes well in Dakar
Then:
Honda MB5, Honda MBX125, 350LC, RGV250, MTX125, GasGas JTX250, CM 644 DS, BMW R1100S, Beta Rev3 250, Beta Rev4T, Honda XL700V Transalp, BMW F800 GS, Kawasaki Super Sherpa
Now:
Montesa 4RT, Triumph Tiger 800, Beta Alp, Montesa 315
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

dibbs wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 12:43 pm Wow! brilliant footage and i wish i was riding there right now! looks a fantastic trail
Hi Dibbs. That trail's not far from Espot ski resort in Catalunya. Quite easy to get to from the C13 side but we had ridden over the top, so it was quite a surprise to find a brand new GS up there. Presumably, as a tail-out full-power 400bhp WRC driver, Kris can handle a bike too.

We go up into those mountains every year, around September time, if you want to join us....

(mind you, take one look at us lot and you probably don't want to... :lol: )
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

Hoggyf wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 12:43 pm Didn't realise he'd retired, he was always close but just never seemed to get the last little bit which I couldn't work out if it was bad luck or just not having the right car or the car right under him. Hope he goes well in Dakar
Ashamed to say I didn't actually know his name when we met him, although Will recognised him straight away. I don't follow WRC very closely. I have since looked up some of his achievements and it's impressive, but he seems to have been a bit crash-prone. Some people call him Crash Meeke, apparently. Bloody brave driver though:

lancashirelad

Post by lancashirelad »

I’ve given up watching WRC as the cars all look the same these days, plus I’m more from the Roger Clark era but I’ve heard of Kris Meeke but doubt I would’ve recognised him. Anyone who’s won a WRC round is no slow coach :D
***just like Britney Spears oops I did it again……sold the Scrambler & as of now there may not be a replacement***
dibbs

Post by dibbs »

daveuprite wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 2:48 pm
dibbs wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 12:43 pm Wow! brilliant footage and i wish i was riding there right now! looks a fantastic trail
Hi Dibbs. That trail's not far from Espot ski resort in Catalunya. Quite easy to get to from the C13 side but we had ridden over the top, so it was quite a surprise to find a brand new GS up there. Presumably, as a tail-out full-power 400bhp WRC driver, Kris can handle a bike too.

We go up into those mountains every year, around September time, if you want to join us....

(mind you, take one look at us lot and you probably don't want to... :lol: )
lol thanks for the offer Dave. However that pic does look like a flyer for the 'blue oyster bar' lol.....
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

dibbs wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 6:07 pm
lol thanks for the offer Dave. However that pic does look like a flyer for the 'blue oyster bar' lol.....
Yeah, we threw off our leather caps just before the shutter went....
dibbs

Post by dibbs »

daveuprite wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 7:06 pm
dibbs wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 6:07 pm
Yeah, we threw off our leather caps just before the shutter went....
PMSL!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
chunky butt

Post by chunky butt »

Good job we went when we did as just read catalunia has gone on 15day restaurant, bar, etc lockdown. Can see borders closing again soon at this rate :o

Return to “RIDE REPORTS”