Weathers nice outwest- Applecross anyone?

Where you've been and what you done
Steve T

Weathers nice outwest- Applecross anyone?

Post by Steve T »

Weather for the west coast of Scotland was forecast to be excellent, so who am I to deny myself the enjoyable job of accompanying eldest son and his lady on a ride to the sunny side of Scotland (well, it’s sunny today . . . .wait a while and it can change . . . dramatically).

Took Dads route out, avoiding as many main roads as possible, because that’s where the bends are to be found. As we headed further into the Highlands, the better the weather got, with gloriously blue skies with nice fluffy white clouds as contrast welcoming us as we neared our destination.
Headed for that well documented pass over the hills to Applecross and for the first time ever we were met with NO TRAFFIC :shock: , either coming the other way or getting in our way :mrgreen: .

After a brief rest in the shade whilst we nibbled our cucumber sandwiches (no crusts) and sipped our tea, we headed back over the pass and wended our way to the picturesque village of Plockton. The views on route were stunning. Traffic had, however, built up – I think we passed at least two cars.

After Plockton, following more bendy roads, we found ourselves parked next to this iconic landmark castle . . .

Back along the shores of Cluanie Loch and then Loch Ness on very, very empty roads in either direction, back through Inverness and then home.

290 miles on the old thrumming Transalp, with the growling R1200GS LC always in my mirrors.

Steve T

8-)
Last edited by Steve T on Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ZEN DOG

He knows not where he's going, for the ocean will decide
It's not the destination . . . . . . . it's the glory of the ride
Teflon Jnr

Re: Weathers nice outwest- Applecross anyone?

Post by Teflon Jnr »

Beautiful pictures I loved my trip up to apple cross when we stayed in ullapool what a majestic place
Jesus rides a Harley and the devil wears prada

🇩🇪 🇧🇪 🇬🇧 🇮🇪 🇫🇷 🇮🇲 🇱🇺
Steve T

Post by Steve T »

If I've got th right guy, I remember meeting you and your dad over at Slaggan Bay over that Ullapool weekend. Was your dad on a white & blue 1150GS?

Steve T

8-)
ZEN DOG

RandG

Post by RandG »

5 miles she said, 5 miles.
boboneleg

Post by boboneleg »

That looks like a bloody excellent day out Steve.
one-legged adventurer
PaulinBont

Post by PaulinBont »

Nice trip , here in Wales, Kim Jong- Un Drakeford has decided we can only go 5 miles from home :(
Teflon Jnr

Post by Teflon Jnr »

Steve T wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 4:52 pm If I've got th right guy, I remember meeting you and your dad over at Slaggan Bay over that Ullapool weekend. Was your dad on a white & blue 1150GS?

Steve T

8-)
No pal I was on my versys 650 and my dad was on a red 1200 gsa and norm was on a red 1200 gsa it was 5 years ago.we bumped into some abr lads and gundog gave us a flat mate can as I had a slow puncture in the front
Jesus rides a Harley and the devil wears prada

🇩🇪 🇧🇪 🇬🇧 🇮🇪 🇫🇷 🇮🇲 🇱🇺
Steve T

Post by Steve T »

boboneleg wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:38 am That looks like a bloody excellent day out Steve.
Twas indeed a grand day out Bob :mrgreen:

Paul - North of the wall we too are allegedly still in lockdown, cos the wee witch Jimmy-Krankie-look-e-likey, having taken "advice" from some professional "guessologists", advises us to go no more than 5 miles from home. I, and many others like me, choose to use common sense - we fuel at pay at the pump petrol pumps, take our own food & refreshments, so no need to visit any local shops.

Teflon Jnr - my mistake :oops:

Steve T

8-)
ZEN DOG

simonw

Post by simonw »

Maybe a bit controversial, but don't you find Applecross a bit over-hyped compared to some other roads in the Highlands? When a friend and I rode the NC500 (or 800, for us!) I was looking forward to Applecross having heard so much about it, and when we eventually got there I thought we'd done more interesting and engaging roads in the NW and down the west coast.
PaulinBont

Post by PaulinBont »

Steve -agreed, unfortunately Officer Dibble is applying the customary zeal normally reserved for speedists

Return to “RIDE REPORTS”