Anyone got experience of registering a 2nd hand UK bike in Spain?

Where you've been and what you done
t_revs

Anyone got experience of registering a 2nd hand UK bike in Spain?

Post by t_revs »

Hi all.
Well has anyone got experience of registering a 2nd hand UK bike in Spain?.
Fed up with this crap weather, so thinking of selling up and buying a place north of Barcelona near the Pirennes.
So question is, how much, and how easy to register a UK bike and get their ITV, (MOT).
Or do I sell my bike in the UK and but a Spanish bike, trouble is with that, is there just isn't the choice in Spain.
Any help, information would be much appreciated, a Guinness awaits for invaluable information....

Adios muchachos...
T_revs
Richard Simpson Mark II

Re: Anyone got experience of registering a 2nd hand UK bike in Spain?

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

Can't help much, other than to say that I think it could be possible.

Here's why.

Where I used to live, my neighbour had a business importing Corvettes, Mustangs etc from the USA.

He then worked on their lights etc and got them UK registered via the SVA process (dip bean conformity and orange turn signals to the rear were the main issues).

Many of the cars were then sold to UK expats 'living the dream' in Spain.

He told me that re-registering a car from outside the EU was impossible in Spain, but you could re-register a British-registered car even if it had SVA documents rather then Type Approval.

So a UK bike with a European Type Approval should be registerable anywhere in the EU.

But, we are no longer in the EU, so that may no longer apply. You'd also need to check on your own legal position re living in Spain, because I suspect that has either already changed, or will do shortly.

Still blue passports, and don't forget to sing God Save the King while washing your hands. Take back control etc etc.
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

No direct experience of importing into Spain, but I've done it many a time here in France.

Your best bet is to trawl through the many forums that serve brits who are resident in Spain.

E.g.: https://www.expatforum.com/expats/spain ... ing-spain/

But be aware that there is a 'type' who often inhabit these forums - probably no need to go into all that much further. The clue is often in the title 'expat'! However they usually have a vehicle import thread, and you'll soon find someone experienced who knows what they are talking about.

Exporting from UK to EU is about to become far more difficult and complicated due to brexit. From 2021 you would be importing a vehicle from a non-EU country ('third country') into the Union area, and the freedom to do that simply and easily is being removed from you by the UK.

Personally I would do lots of research first, and then either get on and do the import soon before the UK becomes a third country, or sell your bike in the UK and bring the cash over to spend on a Spanish registered bike (or a French, Portuguese, Italian, German etc bike for that matter).

Although I've historically bought plenty of UK bikes for use/sale in France, I very much doubt I will now ever buy a UK vehicle again. That particular trade is about to dry up I expect.
qcnr

Post by qcnr »

You should check very carefully before bying, now that UK is no longer within the EU.
No more freedom of movement and normal non-EU travel restrictions apply.
I would assume to stay in Spain longer than 90 days you may need a visa or apply for residency.
Never mind the vehicles.... :shock:
Mickdb1

Post by Mickdb1 »

I am sure ( Folks on another forum have written) you have to get your UK bike "back to Standard" before the local ITV garage will look at it.
Do yer homework and ask loads on a spanish bike forum maybe
You dont pack up biking when you grow old

You grow old when you pack up biking
AlanHolt

Post by AlanHolt »

Yes, i've matriculated 2 UK bikes into Spain. If the bike is less than 10 years old and has a Certificate Of Conformity, its quite easy but will take 2 half days around 2 weeks apart to achieve, and will cost between €350-€500 if you do it yourself. Expect that figure to double if you appoint a gestoria to do it for you. But you can't do anything until you are registered on the padron as either resident or owning property in a Spanish town, and to do that, you will need a NIE (Spanish tax number for foreigners). The problem, post brexit, is going to be getting a NIE.

Feel free to PM me if you want to discuss this further. :)
Current bike is a Yamaha T7
AlanHolt

Post by AlanHolt »

Mickdb1 wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:24 am I am sure ( Folks on another forum have written) you have to get your UK bike "back to Standard" before the local ITV garage will look at it.
Do yer homework and ask loads on a spanish bike forum maybe
Thats not entirely true, it depends where you get the vehicle inspected. My ZX10R had a full Yoshimura race exhaust, but because it passed the noise and emissions tests (with dB killers fitted), they passed it (the stations is 'bike friendly'). Any obvious modifications should be 'e' marked.
Current bike is a Yamaha T7

Return to “RIDE REPORTS”