"Left to Live" - A 23-Day Motorcycle Adventure Around UK and Ireland...

Where you've been and what you done
Richard Simpson Mark II

Re: "Left to Live" - A 23-Day Motorcycle Adventure Around UK and Ireland...

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

Another great write up & pics.

To be fair, Lindbergh was the first solo trans-Atlantic pilot. And Alcock & Brown didn't so much land as crash, while Lindbergh got to Paris Airport.

A great flyer, but his politics were a bit objectionable to say the least.

Mind you, Lindberg didn't have to do what Alcock & Brown did...get out of the plane and walk out on the wings to chip the ice off.
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

That bike looks good in red...I used to have an Aprilia Pegaso, which was a distant ancestor.
TravisGill

Post by TravisGill »

Richard Simpson Mark II wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 5:50 pm Another great write up & pics.

To be fair, Lindbergh was the first solo trans-Atlantic pilot. And Alcock & Brown didn't so much land as crash, while Lindbergh got to Paris Airport.

A great flyer, but his politics were a bit objectionable to say the least.

Mind you, Lindberg didn't have to do what Alcock & Brown did...get out of the plane and walk out on the wings to chip the ice off.
For sure! All aviation pioneers. Glad you are enjoying the report.
Travis & Chantil
'11 G650GS and '12 G650GS Sertao
YouTube Channel
TravisGill

Post by TravisGill »

Richard Simpson Mark II wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 5:55 pm That bike looks good in red...
Agree wholeheartedly! My bike is actually the Sertao model of the G650GS and it only came in a white body with blue vinyl lettering. I liked the red so much that I swapped body panels with my wife’s G650GS.
Travis & Chantil
YouTube Channel
V2orV4

Post by V2orV4 »

Thanks Travis for a brill report and smashing photos!

I try to get over to Ireland every year and I’m always blown away by the stunning scenery. Vast majority of people are really friendly and go the extra mile if you need advice or help. Almost without doubt the most welcoming place I’ve ever visited!

Steve
TravisGill

Post by TravisGill »

Report on hold awhile; I’m away on a business trip in Greece. It’s a beautiful area, but, unfortunatly, no motorcycle. I’ll get back to posting early next week.
Travis & Chantil
YouTube Channel
TravisGill

Post by TravisGill »

V2orV4 wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:15 pm Thanks Travis for a brill report and smashing photos!

I try to get over to Ireland every year and I’m always blown away by the stunning scenery. Vast majority of people are really friendly and go the extra mile if you need advice or help. Almost without doubt the most welcoming place I’ve ever visited!

Steve
Steve,

Thanks for the kind comments regarding the report and photos. A bit of work goes into putting them together, so it’s always nice to get positive comments.

Good on you for making Ireland a yearly journey! Sadly, we may put off Ireland for some time since we are eager to experience the rest of Europe. We’re grateful for our time there though and are glad we have the memory of this ride report.

More to come...

Cheers,
Travis
Travis & Chantil
YouTube Channel
TravisGill

Post by TravisGill »

Day 11 - Mon, 03 Sep (continued…)

The northern coast continues to impress! White Park Bay.

Looking northeast to where the Carrick-a-Rede Rope Bridge is located. It would have been fun to cross the bridge, but it was very crowded, and we wanted to push on to Belfast before the evening.

On the way to Belfast, we stopped at the Dark Hedges. Signs directed us to a parking area since cars and motorcycles are not allowed to drive through the hedges.

The Dark Hedges. It was bright and sunny today, but the trees still do a good job of blocking out a good portion of the light. It would have been fun to walk through this area at sunset or on a misty morning.

A bit more menacing in black and white?

On the walking path back to the parking lot we came across a village of sorts with tiny houses made for Smurfs or something that sized.

Nice Smurf duplex! I would live next to Smurfette!

There was actually quite a lot of things to do in the area, but we had to press on to Belfast before the Titanic Experience closes.

This is farm country with narrow roads and wide tractors.

It was difficult to put down my camera with so much memorable scenery passing by.

Bummer! We arrived at the Titanic Experience a half hour to late. Apparently, the last tickets are sold two hours before the closing time. Read the fine print! We’ll have to wait until tomorrow morning if we want to see the museum. We decided to spoil ourselves and book a room at the Titanic Hotel. No more bummer!

Belfast, Northern Ireland is known for many things but arguably the most famous is the birthplace of the RMS Titanic. This modern architecture was created right next to shipyard, Harland and Wolff, that created this historic vessel. Besides being quite beautiful, it houses the Titanic Experience, a museum and interactive experience that takes you on a journey through the early 1900s. More about the Titanic Experience tomorrow…

A modern building shaped to represent the forward hull of a massive ship. The height of the structure is the same height of the RMS Titanic’s hull at 126 feet (38 m) high.

The building and experience were completed on 31 Mar 2012. The same day the Titanic was launched in 1911.

Modern architecture and sculptures make for a dramatic icon to the city of Belfast.

Inside looking out is also dramatic with views of the city and shipyard.

The building's façade is clad in 3,000 individual silver anodized aluminum shards. It glistens in the sun and some locals have, ironically, nicknamed the building “The Iceberg”.

The texture of the shards and dark glass contrast nicely.

As a photographer who loves modern architecture, it was difficult to put my camera down.

Quite a striking and beautiful building that will bring visitors to Belfast to remember the great ship RMS Titanic.

We checked into the hotel and then decided to walk around the city and get some dinner at the nearby shopping center.

That’s one fat pigeon! He was so fat and lazy that he didn’t move as I got near him for the picture.

We decided to walk into the shopping area and grab some chow. Along the way we enjoyed sculptures and architecture of Belfast.

A fun sculpture titled Titanic Kit reminds me of the plastic models I used to build as a kid. This sculpture was made by Harland and Wolff, the Titanic's original builders.

Belfast has some very modern architecture. The Obel Tower is the tallest storeyed building in Ireland.

The Boat by TODD Architects and Planners is a mixed development featuring leisure, commercial, and residential areas all in one unique building.

Holy Mackerel! That one big fish sculpture! Actually it’s a Salmon; The Salmon of Knowledge is a printed ceramic mosaic sculpture by John Kindness and is a whopper of a fish at 10-metre-long (33 ft)!

The outer skin of the fish is a cladding of ceramic tiles decorated with texts and images with each scale "telling a story about the city".

The Victoria Square Shopping Centre has many restaurants and shops.

The nice guy who was managing the parking garage gave us some dinner advise and recommended Cosmo. An Asian all-you-can-eat place with excellent food and service.

This was plate one of three! One of the best all-you-can-eat restaurants I’ve been to.

The evening walk to the hotel from Cosmo was also enjoyable...

The large dome covering the Victoria shopping center was lit up with purple lighting.

An interesting shrine sculpture just outside the Victoria shopping center.

Beacon of Hope by Andy Scott.

The Titanic Belfast lit up for the night.

Close-up of the evening colors.

Our home for the night - Titanic Hotel Belfast.

Tomorrow is a new day! We’ll be exploring the Titanic Hotel Belfast and the Titanic Experience in the morning, followed by a short ride to the Dublin area…
Travis & Chantil
YouTube Channel
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

Another great bit of reportage. Superb pics. Thanks.
herman

Post by herman »

I generally avoid cities but Belfast through your lens looks amazing. As a tenuous link the wife's great great grandfather was crew on the Titanic, a survivor and was on lifeboat 13.
The secret of a long life is knowing when its time to go.

Return to “RIDE REPORTS”