HISS 2018 - the 'Official Ride Report(s)

Where you've been and what you done
Simon_100

Re: HISS 2018 - the 'Official Ride Report(s)

Post by Simon_100 »

Phenomenal report as always Dave, thanks for posting.

As well as the great photos and hilarious videos what strikes me is how much people still enjoy the HISS even on their third time - or more, not sure whom holds the record now! :) - and despite the fact that you concentrated on your old favourite trails.

Since the first HISS back in 2012 my work has been continuous and now there are about twice an many trails - must add them all up one day, I'm more systematic down in Aragon, where we have 1,400 kms of trails, 600 odd 'blue' runs :)

John and Jayne got back for following the TET as far as Lloarre, where it leaves the Pyrenees. They're spending few days chilling out on the HISS trails, including some from the new section, before 'testing' the new TET Great East Route that rather handily gives a trail form the Catalan HISS and the Aragon HISS locations before heading off way down south to reach the Med. at Tarifa (where it also meets the Atlantic of course!) but not before riding through the Tabernas desert and the Sierra Nevada among other delights. :)

Regs

Simon
Be sure to visit www.thespanishbiker.com the invaluable guide to motorcycling in Spain - plus guided rides, HISS Events* and off road touring support service

*Highly Informal Sojourns in Spain
I am spadger

Post by I am spadger »

Now Simon , thanks again for the help re TET and also putting together the routes around la pobla , I for one totally appreciate the time and effort you put into the HISS , supplying us routes invaluable advice etc and the few quid you charge for the effort is nothing compared to the pain it takes away from researching legal routes etc , in our forth year now and still not disappointed ( we can’t blame you for the weather ) as far as I’m concerned yea ok the trails are free , but the help advice and associated route planning is invaluable, the HISS is a great event long may it continue ImageImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I am spadger

Post by I am spadger »

ImageImage beaten here ! Image

Tramp

Post by Tramp »

Hi spadger... Is that red abandoned ski vehicle by the ski lifts that go up the grassy slopes to the ace trail along the ridge line? If so we rode it on the first hiss.... When the clouds parted the views where to die for...
I am spadger

Post by I am spadger »

Yes bud unfortunately couldn’t get much further due to snow drifts great area to ride when your able

Simon_100

Post by Simon_100 »

Cheers John,
I've just finished the TET Great Eastern Trail. Among other things it links the Catalonia and Aragon HISS venues ... :)

Regs

Simon
Be sure to visit www.thespanishbiker.com the invaluable guide to motorcycling in Spain - plus guided rides, HISS Events* and off road touring support service

I am spadger

Post by I am spadger »

Oh ! May have to rethink how we get to you then or take advantage of jordis parking facilities , hello to Polly and Balto

Simon_100

Post by Simon_100 »

I am spadger wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 8:06 pm Oh ! May have to rethink how we get to you then or take advantage of jordis parking facilities , hello to Polly and Balto
Riding that section would be a good test as it fills the gap. The TET up to the Aragon HISS from the south was done a few weeks ago - and I might even join you! :)

Simon

pip

Post by pip »

Hey folks,

I had left home a few weeks early (actually in mid-March) which gave me the opportunity to propperly break-in the new tires for the HISS. In fact, I detoured via Morocco to leave rain and cold behind me. About 10 miles from the ferry I got a snake bite just before sunset.
Suspecting a ripped valve, we ended in a garage, hoping for a quick install of a new tube. This plan failed miserably when the mechanics spotted a bottle of wine in my luggage. It took three times longer to fix the bike, as it would have taken me alone, but we also managed to empty the wine.
The rest of the Moroccan part of the journey followed the usual tourist routes visiting Fes, Merzouga and the gorges. Mainly asphalt, as my travel buddies' bikes were heavily loaded. I'd been to Morocco before, and the evening changing the tube was probably my best memory this time.
A night in a desert camp was another memory I won't forget. The guide brought us to the foot of the 2nd highest dune in Erg Chebbi: 'Now, if you climb up there, you can watch the sunset!' I had to take 3-4 breaks to climb roughly 600ft of sand.
Back in Spain I abandoned the bike a few weeks to fly home and earn some money before the HISS ...
This space intentionally left blank.
herman

Post by herman »

Simon someone is trying to contact you ref bike storage on ADV but the site goes down for two days shortly 8-)
The secret of a long life is knowing when its time to go.

Return to “RIDE REPORTS”