HISS 2018 - the 'Official Ride Report(s)

Where you've been and what you done
SteveR

Re: HISS 2018 - the 'Official Ride Report(s)

Post by SteveR »

19C Brrrrrr :shock:
Simon_100

Post by Simon_100 »

Just putting finishing touches to the final, final, final draft of this years's rides in the Catalan Pyrenees. I've added trail form a new region, just south of where we've been using so far. This is where the Pyrenees 'fall' into the great plains of the Ebro Depression, in places the mountains are literally washed with wheat fields like the sea crashing up cliffs ...

The roads there are amazing and the trails are highly suitable for big trail bikes ...

Regs

Simon
Be sure to visit www.thespanishbiker.com the invaluable guide to motorcycling in Spain - plus guided rides, HISS Events* and off road touring support service

*Highly Informal Sojourns in Spain
bowber

Post by bowber »

I guess most people will sort their groups before going but is there anyone else not in a group yet or do you think I'll be able to join into another group? Not a good idea to ride solo on new trails or in an area you don't know.

Steve
SHarper

Post by SHarper »

bowber wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 9:05 pm I guess most people will sort their groups before going but is there anyone else not in a group yet or do you think I'll be able to join into another group? Not a good idea to ride solo on new trails or in an area you don't know.

Steve
You’ll be sound matey, I turned up three years ago not knowing anyone and was welcomed into a group straight away and I’m a miserable curmudgeonly old sod with minimal social skills; but I’m glad I did and have ended up with some lifelong friends that I’ve travelled far and wide with...
It’ll be the same with you, I promise
Simon_100

Post by Simon_100 »

SHarper wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 9:41 pm
bowber wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 9:05 pm I guess most people will sort their groups before going but is there anyone else not in a group yet or do you think I'll be able to join into another group? Not a good idea to ride solo on new trails or in an area you don't know.

Steve
You’ll be sound matey, I turned up three years ago not knowing anyone and was welcomed into a group straight away and I’m a miserable curmudgeonly old sod with minimal social skills; but I’m glad I did and have ended up with some lifelong friends that I’ve travelled far and wide with...
It’ll be the same with you, I promise
You're flattering yourself as usual Steve :lol: but you're right - for once! :D @ Steve, don't worry about not melding in as the HISS scene is pretty laid back, especially so this time as we have lots of old friends returning to the fold plus a few newbies like yourself.

We are fifteen altogether, seventeen including Polly and me - twenty-one if you include Balto! - and with us that makes four couples. Fourteen riders in total so with the 'optimum' group size of four there's plenty of choice. Remember that at the HISS there's no pressure to stay with any given group but nor is there any pressure on who goes with who - some groups are friends and naturally they tend to stick together but most are open to someone joining in.

There are also about four of you more into road riding, including Chris Motobreaks who's bringing both a road bike and a trailie, but obviously that's more flexible re riding solo. I say four is the optimum size but that's not fixed, the theory goes that if someone is badly injured where there's no phone coverage two riders go seeking help - and looking out for each other! - one stays with the victim as even if there's not much yo can do it's pretty damn unnerving lying out there in the back of beyond listening to the wild animals getting closer and the vulture circling overhead - don's ask me how I know this! :D

In fact the party will be well under way by the time you get here as two of the couples are arriving tomorrow, Monday, OMG! and WillS and the Haute Pyrenees gang - a bunch of Brit ne'er-do-wells who live around Pau - will be rolling through while sampling the delights of the TET.

For the roasters among you. I think I've now found a solution to my Basecamp problem so will get down to making files of the road routes amp and down the Pyrenees from here, these included a jaunt to the Mediterranean coast at Altafulla, with it's lovely beach, s don't forget to pack something that you look gorgeous in ...

Regs

Simon
Be sure to visit www.thespanishbiker.com the invaluable guide to motorcycling in Spain - plus guided rides, HISS Events* and off road touring support service

bowber

Post by bowber »

excellent, thanks for the replies. We're booked onto a ferry Thursday night and we figure on 2 days down so we should get there Sat/Sun depending on route, traffic etc.

Steve
Simon_100

Post by Simon_100 »

bowber wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 10:42 pm excellent, thanks for the replies. We're booked onto a ferry Thursday night and we figure on 2 days down so we should get there Sat/Sun depending on route, traffic etc.

Steve
Done it dozens of times, reckon on fourteen hours driving time from major channel ports, e.g. Caen, Dieppe, etc. The traffic should be quiet. From Angouleme France gets a bit more interesting: Perigaux, Bergerac, Agen, Auch Montrejou the into Spain via the Val d'Aran (Vielha) and if you take the Port de la Bonaigüa pass(C-28 towards Sort) you'll be 'tired but satisfied' - but not of you're driving a big red double decker London Omnibus :lol:

Regs

Simon

I am spadger

Post by I am spadger »

Just waking up to blue skies on the Spanish side of Pyrenees with a bad head from 3.99 ltr Gin from Andorra! After all the rain and mist from uk to Andorra a great start fingers crossed for next week

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bowber

Post by bowber »

Simon_100 wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 5:08 am

Regs

Simon
Yes, we did that pass the day after camping at Llavorsi on our way over to the Picos a few years ago. For some reason I'd felt the need to pass through Andorra, bit of a waste of time as it was just heavy cloud until we were got over the top and were on our way down the other side.
We'll probably come over that way this time.

Steve
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

Steve
Sent you a PM, Steve.

Return to “RIDE REPORTS”