Autumn at the HISS: the Sierras of Teruel - the 'Official' Ride Report!

Where you've been and what you done
Simon_100

Autumn at the HISS: the Sierras of Teruel - the 'Official' Ride Report!

Post by Simon_100 »

The HISS has 'evolved' a little bit since I started the Ride Reports for 2017 so I'm starting a new one from scratch.

To clarify: the Catalonia HISS, based at Camping Collegats near la Pobla de Segur is pretty much the same a sever, apart form having some new and very challenging trails that need special permits to ride. But in June we ran it 'back-to-back' with the Challenge HISS down in Teruel so that people could get more bang for their bucks after paying fir the ferry, etc., especially those bringing smaller bikes down by van, trailer, etc.

We also decided last year to make two distinct HISS events down in Teruel, one geared to experienced riders - hence the 'Challenge' - in a totally new area to the south-east of Teruel city. This was made possible by a 'new' camp site, Casa Fausto, that only opened as a camping a few years ago.

That left what we called 'Big Tread', which was aimed at large bikes and features easy trails and thrilling road routes. This was based at another 'new' camp site that was more central to the extended territory. But when I finally mapped all of the Challenge trails I found that thee are losts of 'easy' Big Tread style trails there too and that the Casa Fausto site is even more central to it all - and now that the Challenge happened last week it's also brilliant!

That left the idea of back-to-back in September as well. This worked for a lot of folks and for us too. So we're doing tis again in September, hence Catalonia in September 4 - 8th. There's a 10% discount for anyone attending both and that's worked out after the 'Veterans' discounts have been applied, i.e. £50 for Catalonia and £10 for Sierras of Teruel. The base price for all HISS events is £125.

We're also getting information about the HISS and other future events - in the pipeline - on a Facebook group that you are all welcome to join and soon on Trip Advisor, so get booking! (thumbs)

A few 'tastes' in the posts to follow ...

So, in a nushell, the HISS Sierras de Teruel is apt for every kind of bike and rider!

Regs

Simon
Be sure to visit www.thespanishbiker.com the invaluable guide to motorcycling in Spain - plus guided rides, HISS Events* and off road touring support service

*Highly Informal Sojourns in Spain
SteveR

Re: Autumn at the HISS: Catalonia Pyrenees & Sierras of Teruel - the 'Official' Ride Report!

Post by SteveR »

Catalonia HISS, based at Camping Collegats near la Pobla de Segur is pretty much the same as ever, apart form having some new and very challenging trails that need special permits to ride
Manageable by a old and bad rider on an old Honda 400 Simon, or real lightweights only?? :)

Out of interest (only) how far between the two sites?
Simon_100

Re: Autumn at the HISS: Catalonia Pyrenees & Sierras of Teruel - the 'Official' Ride Report!

Post by Simon_100 »

Taken from the original Big Tread. These pix give you an idea of the 'easy' trails:

More of the Sierra de Javalambre ...

That is steep!!!

Pretty - it is! (thumbs)

Not the Yorkshire Moors ...

Vertigo ...

Tried and tested - in winter, brrrr!

I don't rate trails as such but do describe them in some detail in the guide books that you all get as part of the 'deal'- this time I'll also identify trails that are suitable for complete novices - subject to they'e not having changed since the survey visits, some of which date from 2013 - and will be mapping road routes too.

Regs

Simon (thumbs)
Be sure to visit www.thespanishbiker.com the invaluable guide to motorcycling in Spain - plus guided rides, HISS Events* and off road touring support service

*Highly Informal Sojourns in Spain
WillS

Post by WillS »

SteveR wrote:
Catalonia HISS, based at Camping Collegats near la Pobla de Segur is pretty much the same as ever, apart form having some new and very challenging trails that need special permits to ride
Manageable by a old and bad rider on an old Honda 400 Simon, or real lightweights only?? :)

Out of interest (only) how far between the two sites?
Thinking of going Steve??
The distance between the two sites is 385km about 5 hours on a small bike taking the scenic route.
Would be great to meet up again.
Bikes are lightweight 250 but the riders !! not sure :whistle:
Looks interesting (thumbs)
WillS

Post by WillS »

Nice photos Simon, recognise one or two from previous trips.
Looking forward to more info and photos for the Teruel HISS. (thumbs)
qcnr

Post by qcnr »

Looks really good, may try and get down there next year. A bit of a journey to come from Norway, 2600km each way from the ferry terminal in Denmark :-(
Have signed up to the facebook page. (thumbs)
SteveR

Post by SteveR »

If you can do them Simon, I can (thumbs)
SteveR

Post by SteveR »

WillS wrote:
Thinking of going Steve??
The distance between the two sites is 385km about 5 hours on a small bike taking the scenic route.
Would be great to meet up again.
Bikes are lightweight 250 but the riders !! not sure :whistle:
Looks interesting (thumbs)
Yep, hoping to come down to Pobla, not so sure on the second site... Time, etc etc.

After last weeks adventure on the Welsh Border near New Radnor, what I don't like are bottomless ruts or VERY deep mud. I even had to wash down the Honda when I got home... shock, horror! :ohmy: So a few boulders and some scrabbly surface will be a joy :laugh:
Brenhden

Post by Brenhden »

The Spanish Biker wrote:Taken from the original Big Tread. These pix give you an idea of the 'easy' trails:

Heaven! (thumbs)
And now, Harry, let us step out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure.

Suzuki DR200 Djebel.
🇬🇧🇫🇷🇧🇪🇱🇺🇪🇸🇬🇷🇩🇪
SteveR

Post by SteveR »

Brenhden wrote:
The Spanish Biker wrote:Taken from the original Big Tread. These pix give you an idea of the 'easy' trails:

Heaven! (thumbs)
Ready for the Varadero... :dry:

Return to “RIDE REPORTS”